1.    #1  
    I know that the Pre's camera is limiting. However, is it possible to have some code written or an app developed that would bring a "macro" functionality to the camera? Or is this a hardware-only issue that cannot be modified via software or firmware?

Does anyone know?
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    It's a hardware issue. There was a post here ages ago about a mod you can do with a spare Pre battery cover and an old CD drive lens.
    we really don't know the capabilities of the camera until there's an API to allow access to it. Autofocus or macro capabilities were never mentioned or included as of currently so the assuption is there's no focusing abilities.

We could all be proven wrong in the fall when the API is supposed to be released.
    The underlying camera system uses software to determine how the extended depth-of-field (eDoF) works. It's theoretically possible that the software could allow macro "focus", or rather could bring closer objects into the eDoF range. Do a search and you'll find some additional info from the company that makes the system.

Whether or not this will ever be done remains to be seen. But, again, from what I've read it does seem to be at least theoretically possible.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    No API's for the camera.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    No API's for the camera.
    True, but there's the more fundamental question of what the camera system is capable of even with API's. It could be that Palm will enable more functionality than simply "access camera and take picture" via the SDK. Perhaps they could have different modes, including a macro mode suitable for barcodes and such.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    The underlying camera system uses software to determine how the extended depth-of-field (eDoF) works. It's theoretically possible that the software could allow macro "focus", or rather could bring closer objects into the eDoF range. Do a search and you'll find some additional info from the company that makes the system.

Whether or not this will ever be done remains to be seen. But, again, from what I've read it does seem to be at least theoretically possible.
    Thanks for prompting me to do a bit of research. I was surprised to find how much can be done with eDOF and that such things as bar-code reading could be possible using it. It would be intersting to know more about the eDOF system used in the OMAP 3430.