1.    #1  
    My art studio is a portable trailer and I get awful signal strength there.
    The outer shell is metal and I suspect that has something to do with the
    quality of my signal.

I get a solid 3 bars normally in my home (I am in a rural area) but out in my studio I get zero bars unless I put my phone by an open door or window.

Are there any tricks to help with signal quality besides Airrave anyone can suggest?
    The metal walls and roof really interfere with signal strength. There isn't nuch you can do besides using an Airave or keeping your phone at the window...
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    The metal walls and roof really interfere with signal strength. There isn't nuch you can do besides using an Airave or keeping your phone at the window...
    This sounds about right. Either this or get a new studio.
    What you have there is a Faraday cage. Pretty much no signal is going to get into a well-sealed metal box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    This is yet another basic feature left out of webOS by Palm...
    ....Being able to get a signal in metal enclosures....
    LoL - just kidding.
    Do you have Sprint? I find that the reception in buildings is terrible and I'm constantly dropping calls when I'm in my apartment.

I now have a patch that turns on Roaming only (which is the Verizon network) and I use it whenever I'm at my apartment... and reception is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by runtimmyc View Post
    Do you have Sprint? I find that the reception in buildings is terrible and I'm constantly dropping calls when I'm in my apartment.

I now have a patch that turns on Roaming only (which is the Verizon network) and I use it whenever I'm at my apartment... and reception is great.
    It's not about what Carrier OP is with. He's trying to get signal inside a complete metal enclosure...
  8.    #8  
    Well poo! I figured that but was hoping there was some sort of fix. Oh well, leave the
    window open then it is.....thanks for the replies!
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Since you need to leave the phone next to the window, you may want to consider getting a wireless earpiece (good range can be expensive though). You'd be able to answer calls, but not make them.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    just hang out the window but look out for birds, trees and cats. birds, well they can attack you, trees, block cell phone reception kinda and cats well i just don't like cats But yea metal roofing is a complete obstruction for cellphone service. If you're that desperate to get service Sprint sells an Airave that would work like a charm.
    As mentioned above, you're sitting in a Faraday cage. The two options you have would be to either remove one wall of your studio since Faraday cages need all sides to work... or to add a cellular signal repeater. Personally, I'd enjoy seeing video of you removing the wall but if you add a repeater antenna outside and the module inside, you can get your signal to pass.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/11/2010 at 02:25 PM.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for the sugguestions, I will have to ponder them. Leaving the windows and doors open in the summer is not a big deal, it's the winter I really have to worry about.

You know... the funny thing is that my signal is really quite good in my travel trailer, I
    don't get a bad signal at all in there, but my studio....awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    ....Being able to get a signal in metal enclosures....
    LoL - just kidding.
    I have poor reception on the left side of my desk...
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

I still have my Airave... that works.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

I use radios, cellphones, Mobile data terminals @ work, some steel and concrete structures I go into I get no signal. This is to be expected with modern construction.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I have poor reception on the left side of my desk...
    Easiest and cheapest resolution wouldn't be an Airave at all since thats a monthly recurring charge plus the initial costs.

Rather a simple wireless repeater would do the trick. I have a more elaborate and powerful setup in my home so it can cover all floors but do a search for Cellular Repeaters. There's plenty out there.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by marybee View Post
    You know... the funny thing is that my signal is really quite good in my travel trailer, I don't get a bad signal at all in there, but my studio....awful.
    Just to confirm that you 'get' what people are saying here. It is the conductive nature of the shell that is the problem. No doubt the travel trailer is not clad in steel/aluminium etc.