Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    Hey everyone. I just got a replacement palm pre today. It's my 4th one, and its already messed up somehow. The phone app seems to give a clicking/crackling sound during phone calls. The sound works fine during everything else. I am beginning to just get really fed up with this phone, with this being my 4th Pre in less than 5 months.
  2. #2  
    i think you may have bad luck.... why are you on your 4th???
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    i think you may have bad luck.... why are you on your 4th???
    Maybe because of the poor build quality? Where've you been?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Maybe because of the poor build quality? Where've you been?
    He was asking for the reasons for returning his three others. You didn't need to be rude about it.

    Honestly, I'm on my 2nd and I've had my Pre since launch. I went through 5 iPhones so this is a HUGE improvement. I think three is understandable to hvae gone through, but four seems to be ridiculous.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
  5. #5  
    I went through 6. Then I told sprint to just give me a new one, not a refurb. Do that.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  6. #6  
    They give you refurbs, that's why. So you're getting basically another broken phone each time. Has nothing to do with build quality.

    We all know these phones aren't the best built things, but I'm tired of everyone saying they all suck and are built poorly.

    There are many like me who are still on their first Pre with little problems. I bet if you replaced it the first time with a new one, you wouldn't be on your 4th.

    These threads are a bit misleading. State that you're on your 4th Pre, 3 were refurbs. I can see potential WebOS owners coming here and reading the title and getting turned off and that's not a fair assessment on how these phones are made.
  7. #7  
    I had the same issue with my Pre when talking to someone on the phone I would get a crackling sound/noise. Long story short, I took it into a repair store and had Sprint test it and they said it failed the radio test. They ended up giving me a refurbished one, of course. I have had 3 phones now that have had the same crackling noise and have been through about 6 Pre's already.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    They give you refurbs, that's why. So you're getting basically another broken phone each time. Has nothing to do with build quality.

    We all know these phones aren't the best built things, but I'm tired of everyone saying they all suck and are built poorly.

    There are many like me who are still on their first Pre with little problems. I bet if you replaced it the first time with a new one, you wouldn't be on your 4th.

    These threads are a bit misleading. State that you're on your 4th Pre, 3 were refurbs. I can see potential WebOS owners coming here and reading the title and getting turned off and that's not a fair assessment on how these phones are made.
    I'm on my 7th - which is new - and it's already showing signs of screen splotching and oreoing. My day 1 was obviously new as was my 2nd. The other four were refurbs.

    And there are many like me, so I don't think these threads are misleading in the least.
  9. Tyndall's Avatar
    Posts
    198 Posts
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    #9  
    Still on my 1st. Pretty damn solid. Sucks to be you.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm on my 7th - which is new - and it's already showing signs of screen splotching and oreoing. My day 1 was obviously new as was my 2nd. The other four were refurbs.

    And there are many like me, so I don't think these threads are misleading in the least.
    My point is "many like" you is not an indication of anything compared to the many that are on their first that never had problems. What's misleading about the threads is THEY AREN'T NEW PRES that he's replacing it with.

    Reading all these threads seems like 75% of people are on multiple Pres.

    The number of people like you are quite small, it's just more apparent here because message forums are usually a place for people to vent their problems.

    I have no problem with that, but when you keep getting refurbs, that's no longer a build quality problem, that applies to anything you get a refurb of.

    Were all 7 of your Pres new? If so, you are the most unluckiest person I know.
  11. vnmous1's Avatar
    Posts
    173 Posts
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    Still on my 1st. Pretty damn solid. Sucks to be you.
    Me, too, since June 5, 2009.

    bj
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    My point is 75% of people are on multiple Pres.
    More like 71% probably, but close.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  13.    #13  
    The point is that my last two Pre phones have had problems within one day of receiving them. The problem is that they keep giving people refurbs when there is a distinct possibility something is still wrong with the phone. That's what I don't get. Oh, and to SportingLions, +1 for the ZuneHD avatar.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    My point is "many like" you is not an indication of anything compared to the many that are on their first that never had problems. What's misleading about the threads is THEY AREN'T NEW PRES that he's replacing it with.

    Reading all these threads seems like 75% of people are on multiple Pres.

    The number of people like you are quite small, it's just more apparent here because message forums are usually a place for people to vent their problems.

    I have no problem with that, but when you keep getting refurbs, that's no longer a build quality problem, that applies to anything you get a refurb of.

    Were all 7 of your Pres new? If so, you are the most unluckiest person I know.
    I believe I was pretty clear in saying that 1,2, and 7 were new, and the rest were refurbs (technically, one was a return, but the lady who returned it before I snagged said it just wasn't for her).

    But build quality issues puts all of these people on the refurb train to begin with, and dumb design decisions like the side plastic USB port with a chintzy cover make it even worse. USB cracks for people who didn't shell out extra for a Touchstone are pretty much a matter of when, not if.

    However many or few you may think there are of people like me, it's more than enough to have given the Pre a popular reputation as a poorly built device, and I think it's well-deserved. I say that as someone who's dodged the bullet on a number of recurring issues around here (e.g. dead speakers, power button failure, etc.).

    You can disagree with that reputation or not. That's the perception at large, and for many...the reality.
  15. #15  
    I'd say those on their first Pre's since launch are just more willing to put up with flaws or don't know any better. That's ok, there's many out there like that. My mother in law for example loves her hdtv even though she lacks an HD source. I tried to explain things to her once but gave up.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I believe I was pretty clear in saying that 1,2, and 7 were new, and the rest were refurbs (technically, one was a return, but the lady who returned it before I snagged said it just wasn't for her).

    But build quality issues puts all of these people on the refurb train to begin with, and dumb design decisions like the side plastic USB port with a chintzy cover make it even worse. USB cracks for people who didn't shell out extra for a Touchstone are pretty much a matter of when, not if.

    However many or few you may think there are of people like me, it's more than enough to have given the Pre a popular reputation as a poorly built device, and I think it's well-deserved. I say that as someone who's dodged the bullet on a number of recurring issues around here (e.g. dead speakers, power button failure, etc.).

    You can disagree with that reputation or not. That's the perception at large, and for many...the reality.
    Way to state the obvious. That is not what I'm even contesting. Everyone knows the Pre doesn't have the best made hardware. What I'm arguing against is that people need 4 NEW PRES because they all sucked to the point of not being able to use them. That is a very rare case. Now 4 refurbs, yeah, of course they are going to be shady.

    And congratulations, you're one unlucky guy. Do a forum search and see how "many" is not actually that many when it comes to people who replaced their phone more than once. There was a poll.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'd say those on their first Pre's since launch are just more willing to put up with flaws or don't know any better. That's ok, there's many out there like that. My mother in law for example loves her hdtv even though she lacks an HD source. I tried to explain things to her once but gave up.
    I'm on my second Pre since launch; I believe I got the second around the end of October. The first one had the power button issue so they swapped it, the second has developed a crackle in the speaker if the volume is over ~70%.

    Now, if I was someone that listened to a lot of music or podcasts, the phone really wouldn't be usable on speaker unless you're in a fairly quiet area. But, for ringtones and notifications, there's just some distortion at max volume so that doesn't bother me-at least I don't feel it's worth swapping out the phone and having to reload homebrews and customizations.

    So yeah, I think you have at least three groups: those that must have a perfect device and will return it for any flaw, those that can live with certain things as long as their personal use isn't affected, then those that will deal with almost anything even having to jump through hoops (battery pulls, repairing the slider, etc.) to keep the phone going.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by csco1474 View Post
    I had the same issue with my Pre when talking to someone on the phone I would get a crackling sound/noise. Long story short, I took it into a repair store and had Sprint test it and they said it failed the radio test. They ended up giving me a refurbished one, of course. I have had 3 phones now that have had the same crackling noise and have been through about 6 Pre's already.
    Maybe he got your old one?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'd say those on their first Pre's since launch are just more willing to put up with flaws or don't know any better. That's ok, there's many out there like that. My mother in law for example loves her hdtv even though she lacks an HD source. I tried to explain things to her once but gave up.
    And I'd say you simply don't know what you're talking about. I suspect I've had more phones than most, and know what to look for in one.

    Your experience is not everyone's.
  20. tsnum4's Avatar
    Posts
    330 Posts
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    #20  
    if I had to replace my phone more than once, I would give it a quick 'test' while in the store before I left, maybe you would have walked out with a new one (?)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions