Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
  1.    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    OK so everyone knows how when you first purchase the phone, it has a transparant plastic film over the screen and gesture area? Well, perhaps the film should should have printed on it (over the gesture area) an arrow pointing left, labeled "Back". And an arrow pointing up, labeled "Home". The arrows should be printed right where you would swipe. After the new user has done this a few times, they'll feel comfortable removing the plastic film. Other gestures (double swiping up, brining up the wave, and the advanced app switching gesture) can be introduced by introductory videos.
    agree....thought about the same thing
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Have you guys already forgot about the gesture lesson that everyone gets right after activation?

Having the ability to run this lesson the demo device in the stores might be a good idea.

Sort of a webOS introduction and eveyone who completes will walk away from the store with a better knowledge about how nice webOS is.
    Last edited by DrHeathenScum; 05/26/2010 at 09:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    It's not the learning that takes time, it's all the unlearning of preconceived notions. e.g. Today I was trying to get the serial number and MAC address off of one of our department's iPads so I could enter it into our inventory. I was able to navigate to the information screen just fine. Trying to get back to the home screen was another story. No minimize icon in the upper right corner of the screen? I can't 'pinch it' to make it smaller? I certainly can't flick it off the top of the screen (try as I may)? Hmm, wonder what that button on the bezel does? So, at ten, your niece has a distinct age advantage over most of us in this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post
    do you all know something I don't know? 5 minutes to learn gestures. really? i showed my 10 yr old niece how to navigate the phone in less than a minute ... what am I mising?
    Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    It didn't take me long to learn it but then again I saw plenty of videos on YouTube about it. Not hard to learn. But it is something you have to learn. Basketball is not hard to learn. But you just can't throw a ball to someone who hasn't ever been exposed to it and tell them to have at it. (Guess what I'm watching now??? Celts and Magic. Game 5)
    found my self using my old windows phone today. out of habit, i kept trying to flick on the screen to navigate. it sucked.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    You would think that the kind of people that would want smartphones are the very ones that would enjoy learning new things. Reading some of the examples in this thread, it looks like a lot of folks jump in the pool without checking if there is water in. I would expect to be a little confused initially with my first smartphone (and I was) regardless of which phone I choose.

If something like the gesture area makes people put the Pre down in favor of something more regular? I don't know what to think. I just hope this does not prove to be true for the sake of future Palm devices. I'm constantly swiping at my Zune HD. Ive had it over 9 months and the Pre less than 2 months. Swiping seems so natural now.
    if there were a bigger buzz around web os, then people would know how to use the phone. The commercials would say "look how easy it is to navigate using gestures!" and when people saw one in the wild, they'd say "hey look its the pre, the gesture phone, it makes everything look easy!"

right now, since no one knows anything about the pre, its like a foreign object with a curious lack of buttons.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post
    do you all know something I don't know? 5 minutes to learn gestures. really? i showed my 10 yr old niece how to navigate the phone in less than a minute ... what am I mising?
    Exactly. The demo vid running on the Pre's in the stores shows you all the gestures in two minutes.

Swipe back (left)
    Swipe Up
    Swipe forward (right)

Combined with "flicking" the main screen UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT as needed.
    OK so I read this entire post and all I can say is that Apple really must cater to the super lazy and super scared of technology and change to have such a large following.

How hard is it really to learn how to use the gestures? OMG really? LOL

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
    most people are mindless sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVTech View Post
    OK so I read this entire post and all I can say is that Apple really must cater to the super lazy and super scared of technology and change to have such a large following.

How hard is it really to learn how to use the gestures? OMG really? LOL
    Not hard at all if you aren't afraid of technology. But if you are demoing a device in store and you can't get it to work, you are likely going to move on. There really should be little instructions next to WebOS phones, showing the basic 3 gestures.

All tech has a learning curve. WebOS has a steep one initially, then it is flat. iPhone is very easy to jump into, but then harder to do certain specific things.

WebOS is like snowboarding. Once you figure it out, it is pretty easy and a lot of fun. iPhone OS is like skiing. Easier to pick up and jump into, but much harder to master.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    I couldn't live without the gesture area.
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    I couldn't live without the gesture area.
    You did once
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Whenever I try other touchscreen devices, I am turned off that they have no gesture area. It is so annoying to have to look for a little back button instead of just swiping backwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    There really should be little instructions next to WebOS phones, showing the basic 3 gestures.
    When I purchased my Pre+ from Verizon, I was pretty much forced by the Pre+ to work my way through a tutorial on its interfaces which featured the gesture area. Although it frustrated me (I had already owned a Sprint Pre) that I couldn't skip it, it was a good idea for new users. Of course, a casual shopper in the store won't see that tutorial.

I don't remember seeing that tutorial on my Sprint Pre.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I'd like to see the who screen act as a gesture area. Just use two or three fingers anywhere on the screen and it knows it's a gesture. This works well on my macbook pro trackpad so it shouldn't be rocket science. This would allow for larger screens and would also solve the problem of no gesture area in landscape (future tablet).
  18.    #138  
    pre would of been better if the gesture area was actually part of the display making it 3.7 in
    Quote Originally Posted by samid View Post
    I'd like to see the who screen act as a gesture area. Just use two or three fingers anywhere on the screen and it knows it's a gesture. This works well on my macbook pro trackpad so it shouldn't be rocket science. This would allow for larger screens and would also solve the problem of no gesture area in landscape (future tablet).
    This is a very interesting point. Thanks for posting.
    The gesture area should definitely be better explained, and Palm MUST incorporate a "demo" mode to train people quickly - it did put my dad off too - he wasn't ready to learn about the gesture area..

Infact Palm should create a whole series of ads on the concept of "Swipes" and the power of gestures(tm)!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567