Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hollabak009 View Post
    just saying people probably buy a droid because it SEEMS easier
    I won't go android, or at least what I've seen so far because it seems "clunky" and difficult to navigate... Can't just be me...
    My 4 yr old can access the bubbles game on my phone lol
    Actually I think the Gesture area is a Big turn on. Sexy Sexy Phone.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I think gesture area is one of the cooliest features about this phone. I could care less if someone else using my phone can't figure it out. But if you own it,not that hard to learn. Man you could teach a monkey how to use the gesture area.,,lol every device out there has a learning curve
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    I love gesture !
    Agreed. It's kind of funny that I came across this thread because I was going to post something saying how I hope Palm/HP doesn't do away with the gesture area in the next handset. I absolutely LOVE the gesture area and cannot imagine using another phone without it. I'm not saying it should be in every handset they produce from now on, but it should definitely remain an option in a few of them.

The gesture area is one of the coolest aspects of the Pre, IMHO.
    I cant tell you how many times I've swiped my thumb on my iphone only to be ****ed that it did nothing... LOVE gesture.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Personally, I love the overall navigation, but i have also found that the Pre does not demo well. There are many aspects of the UI that are not discoverable, but are easily learned. Back gesture, drop down menus, swipes to delete, cut/copy/paste, even turning it on when the screen is locked, etc-- you HAVE to be taught these. I'd be terrified if I ever got into an accident and a passerby needed my phone to call 911 .

Whenever I let anyone play with my phone, I have to give them a 30 second tutorial, showing them the 2 main gestures (back and swipe to card view) and how to switch and throw away cards. That's good enough for a beginner.
    ha! i even do a back gesture on my laptop tackpad forgetting it doesnt do anything. lol
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yoda3616 View Post
    My three-year-old knows how to do the gestures. It is definitely not that hard.
    Yeah, my son turns 3 this week, and he already knows how to swipe-to-card view, bring up menu from the dock to launch apps, back gesture, pinch to zoom, call mommy (using PhotoDialer), throw away cards, etc.

Incidentally, he's also very familiar with the iPhone OS as well, and when he saw an iPad at an airport, he called it a "Big iPod" out loud. No doubt the pretentious owner was extremely insulted .
    I don't get it... flick up and flick left are really all you need to know to use the phone... my 5 year old figured it out in about 5 minutes.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    my 5 year old figured it out in about 5 minutes.
    Did he figure it out, or did you teach it to him? My sister-in-law had her Pre for a week without knowing about the back gesture and hated it. She started to like it after I taught her the back gesture though! I don't think anyone would ever discover the back gesture on their own. They would just keep getting stuck in apps.
    I just wanted to add that I love the gesture area even more since enabling the 'Advanced' feature where a full swipe switches you the the next/previous card when in full card view.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13 View Post
    Did he figure it out, or did you teach it to him? My sister-in-law had her Pre for a week without knowing about the back gesture and hated it. She started to like it after I taught her the back gesture though! I don't think anyone would ever discover the back gesture on their own. They would just keep getting stuck in apps.
    It's amazing how many people dont pay any attention to the intro tutorial, or even flip through the manual and then hate their phone... sigh.

I suspect my kid saw me doing the gestures and just picked it up from there... very observant little monkey she is.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i wish more devices had a gesture area. if it takes 5 minutes for someone to be taught the gesture area, its 4.5 minutes longer than it should take.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    My 3-year-old watched me showing pictures of her on my phone. The next day she stole my phone, turned it on, accessed photos, and swiped back and forth through the pictures amusing herself. When I found her, she excitedly swiped to the photo of her by herself and announced, "A pik-chuh of me, Mommy! Take anudduh one!" When I held out my hand for my phone, she swiped the card away, turned the phone off, and gave it back.

I didn't "teach" her a thing; she's not allowed to touch my phone. For those who might find gestures more challenging, a quick YouTube video demonstration could be enough. If gestures are still too frustrating, then another phone would probably be a better fit. (I don't "fit" my Bberry, but I don't blame Bberry OS -- much.)
    it's one of the things that kind of define the whole webOS experience I think. I love the gesture area
    Quote Originally Posted by cas_esq View Post
    My 3-year-old watched me showing pictures of her on my phone. The next day she stole my phone, turned it on, accessed photos, and swiped back and forth through the pictures amusing herself. When I found her, she excitedly swiped to the photo of her by herself and announced, "A pik-chuh of me, Mommy! Take anudduh one!" When I held out my hand for my phone, she swiped the card away, turned the phone off, and gave it back.

Awesome!
    I love the gesture area and I really don't think it is that hard to figure it all out. My 1 year old niece is able to turn on the phone and open up apps and close them. She even knows the gesture area means to go back.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post
    do you all know something I don't know? 5 minutes to learn gestures. really? i showed my 10 yr old niece how to navigate the phone in less than a minute ... what am I mising?
    maybe its something to do with the teacher....lol

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    It's amazing how many people dont pay any attention to the intro tutorial, or even flip through the manual and then hate their phone... sigh.

I suspect my kid saw me doing the gestures and just picked it up from there... very observant little monkey she is.
    Sure, showing by example is a valid form of teaching. My position is that the back gesture is very learnable, but it's not discoverable. My sister-in-law, who would have never discovered it on her own, must have skipped through the tutorial (either on her own or with the Sprint rep), little knowing that the precious 10 second tutorial she missed made her first week of Pre ownership a living hell . Yes she could have read the manual after the fact, but she didn't know what she was missing.

Here's the difference between a back button (either physical like on androids, or virtual, like on iphones): they label they button, so users can figure it out. In theory, Palm could label the back swipe too (draw an arrow in the gesture area), but since they don't, users have to be taught it. And that's why it doesn't demo that well unless someone is there to walk a new user through it.
    Forgive me if I repeat anything. I didn't feel like reading through all 6 pages.

I have mixed feelings about the gesture area. On one hand it is very natural and intuitive once you get used to it. When I got my parents their Pre's, it took them a bit to get used to it, including the whole gesture system. I think they have it down now, but it took them some time. My dad is very technologically inclined, but he is not great at touch things yet (he still 2 finger types lol). My mom, is not technologically inclined and the lack of identifiable buttons was tricky for her. And that is flip side to gestures. If you want to go back, you can look and find a back button. If you want to go back and there are no buttons, if you don't know about the gesture, you are kind of out of luck. This can also cause people to get flustered.

One other thing I have been considering is speed. Sometimes I need to swipe multiple times to go back with the Pre. It doesn't always register the full motion and this is annoying. Gestures are analog, while buttons are binary. In some cases gestures actually slow down the process of navigating.

IIRC Palm originally had set delays on reactions to screen touches because WebOS had to differentiate gesture versus taps. It made the phone appear unresponsive. I believe this has been corrected now.

But gestures definitely make the experience very enjoyable, as long as you know (remember) the gestures.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast