Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Hey, in the booklet that comes with webOS phones there is a page or two that shows gestures using arrows and what the gesture does. Am I missing something?
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Are you sure about this? The gesture area is so simple and easy (and yes, intuitive) and it's the one main feature I'll miss the most if I have to leave WebOS.
    The gestures and gesture area is NOT intuitive. To say so implies that someone who's never seen or used them before can walk up to the phone and just start using them.

OTOH, the gestures and gesture area are ORGANIC with the design of the phone and OS. That's is, they all work VERY well together making the experience feel very natural. The consequence of this fine job of fusing input mechanisms with the WebOS (and apps) is that very quickly a user swears up and down that the interface is intuitive.
    Last edited by ronlongo; 05/11/2010 at 12:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I have a six year old and a three year old. My six year old knows how to use the gesture area, but my three year old does not. But both are good with iPhone. My three year old knows how to find and open Youtube on iPhone, take photos, etc. But she has a hard time move around on my Pre.

So we are all proud six year old and look at iPhone users as three year olds. Just kidding.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    You have a smart 3 year old. Do you mean gesture or gesture area.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    The gestures and gesture area is NOT intuitive. To say so implies that someone who's never seen or used them before can walk up to the phone and just start using them.

OTOH, the gestures and gesture area are ORGANIC with the design of the phone and OS. That's is, they all work VERY well together making the experience feel very natural. The consequence of this fine job of fusing input mechanisms with the WebOS (and apps) is that very quickly a user swears up and down that the interface is intuitive.
    I dnt want to argue... but whats more natural than swiping back to go BACK?...that's intuitive to me....
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    I dnt want to argue... but whats more natural than swiping back to go BACK?...that's intuitive to me....
    So in other words if you just picked up this phone you've never seen before and you've never used gestures before, you're going to intutively know to swipe your finger from right to left on the bottom of the phone to go back? Not likely.

Reread my post carefully. It's all about semantics.
    So in other words if you just picked up this phone you've never seen before and you've never used gestures before, you're going to intutively know to swipe your finger from right to left on the bottom of the phone to go back? Not likely.

You're right. But its like that with other products as well. Two points.

Point 1 is that it is imperative that a sales associate do a good job in helping the customer understand the features of the phone. But that can be said for any product.

Point 2 is that in the white booklet that comes with the webOS phones gestures are shown there with arrows and a explanation of what each one does. So even if the sales associate doesn't show you how to use the gesture area, the booklet that is provided with the phones shows you what you need to know.

I think people are making this sound harder than what it needs to be.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  9.    #89  
    its intuitive people just don't know about it
    The first use app shows how gestures work.... It is the first thing they see, how could it be any easier? If someone is looking at it in the store, well the rep should know the phones they sell.... I know this ins't always the case. Sales rep tend to be bias as to what is selling hot at the moment.

anyway, I really love the gestures, reminds me of PalmOS graffiti. They are pretty intuitive, In fact, my father has both a Pre and an iPod Touch. he loves both but finds himself doing gestures on the Touch .

I used graffiti so much, that is actually changed my handwriting style for a while. Couldn't use another phone with gestures.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  11.    #91  
    i bet half the verizon reps dont even learn how to use it
    Quote Originally Posted by hollabak009 View Post
    its intuitive people just don't know about it
    Hehehehe! Good joke. I need to remember that one. As a logician I enjoy a good contradiction.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Heh, I used to have an Upstage... you wanna see confusion watch someone try to figure out that thing for the first time. As far as the Pre, several of my friends were actually confused by the portrait slider the first time they tried to do anything with my phone, so I have no problem seeing how people could dismiss the pre because they cant figure out how to do the basic functions that have been assigned to gestures. Heck, I'll admit it, I've been on the other end. Got ticked off after spending 2 min trying to turn off Pandora on a Curve. *F'ing BlackBerrys... how do people use those things?* Generally it's an "Ah-ha!" moment when you show someone the back gesture, or open the launcher with a swipe. But most people have to be shown. The new ads are doing a pretty good job of that, so maybe it wont be as much of a factor anymore.

Exactly, semantics. The user expects a button, but that doesn't means it's the more natural way. When using a book, nobody expects a button, and to go back people swipes back the pages. And people push the button because there is a button (note that the existence of the button equals to the gestures manual, or the first use app).

The problem here is user's previous relationships with phones, not the model itself that is actually more natural: (to go back make go back actions, not a general action). You can go back more naturally in webOS with your eyes closed, with a button you need some kind of feedback.
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hollabak009 View Post
    just saying people probably buy a droid because it SEEMS easier
    They think its easier until they try to figure out what apps have widgets attached and what apps dont, then it gets confusing.
    Dang Flabbit, there are so many uses for the gesture area that it should be a turn on to anyone using the Pre. I can't see at all how anyone would be turned off by such ingenuity. In fact, I don't even use the one hard button on the face of the Pre at all, other than to alert me of notifications! There isn't a need for it.

Instead of hitting the hard button to maximize and minimize open apps, I just swipe up in the gesture area. This avoids having to ever worry up it getting worn out, like my Volume Rocker now is!!! But with the help of the "Device Menu Megamix with Media Volume Control" Patch created by our genius friends jason and xanthin, I don't have to worry about the volume rocker for now.

Yes, the gesture area does take some time to learn all of the features, but what new phone doesn't take a while to learn? Especially the way smart phones are created these days with such extensive and complex operating systems all trying to one up the competition.

The bottom line is that the Gesture Area is absolute genius, but does not take a genius to learn. Any person using a smart phone needs to be somewhat intelligent if they want to use all or mostly all of the features of said device. If not, get yourself a nice little flip phone.
    Last edited by voltageROCK; 05/12/2010 at 10:07 AM.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
  17.    #97  
    the initial thought might be confusing for people when going in to a store
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    The Gesture Area is to WebOS as a mouse is to a computer OS. How long did it take you to learn how a mouse works on a computer? Tell that to someone that gives an odd look and let them know that they need to move away from the teletype machine.
    Oh the memories.
    i used to do a lot of the high light to read it stuff on blog and myspace layouts a while back. black text on a black background between pictures that i had up there, with a hint in the "about me" section that said "if you want to see what lies in my heart, you must high light the darkness between the art."
  19.    #99  
    its definitely one of the best parts in webOS
  20.    #100  
    they still have a learning curve that is not as intuitive as a button...
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast