Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I got so used to using the gesture area that I got frustrated in using someone elses Iphone. I hated hitting the home button to get back to the apps. Plus I closed out of the current app. I found myself trying to use a gesture area on the Iphone and then I realize that I have to use the home button. Awful experience. Made me realize how much the Iphone is a POS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ltlruss View Post
    Am I the only one that saw what he wrote in white? lol, only saw it when someone quoted you... Well, not to derail this thread, I love the gesture area and when I show it to people, they think it's really cool. I've had people at work play around with it and they pick it up pretty quick. My wife on the other hand... She wants a phone to just work and doesn't like to sit down and learn about it, so she's had issues with it when she's picked it up....
    There's nothing wrong with that. That just means that she would prolly be more at home with a feature phone as opposed to a phone where you have to pinch and zoom and swipe left and right to move to different screens.

But then again my 74 yr old father knows how to work his Iphone 3G and he doesn't take kindly to tech nor did he sit down for an hour to learn how to use it. But again, I didn't sit down for an hour to learn how to use the Pre or my cousin's Android phone when I was trying to help her with the phone even though I never used one. Everyone has a different tolerance level.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    My three-year-old knows how to do the gestures. It is definitely not that hard.
    I get so annoyed with my iTouch now because of its lack of a gesture area. First of all, I'm always avoiding its non-existent "gesture area." Second, I always have to pause a second to remember how to go back a page or go to another app. Gesture area has spoiled me
    Oh wow, a whole 5 minutes to learn about something that is not only innovative, but easy to get the hang of. What was Palm thinking putting a 5 minute learning curve on the brilliant gesture area?

Are people that lazy these days?

I find the gesture area to be one of my favourite features of the phone, I don't see how that can turn you off?
    Quote Originally Posted by ltlruss View Post
    Am I the only one that saw what he wrote in white? lol, only saw it when someone quoted you... Well, not to derail this thread, I love the gesture area and when I show it to people, they think it's really cool. I've had people at work play around with it and they pick it up pretty quick. My wife on the other hand... She wants a phone to just work and doesn't like to sit down and learn about it, so she's had issues with it when she's picked it up....
    You're not allowed to point it out lol. Simply reply with white text. Me, Finally Pre, and a few others have been using white text for a while.
    It doesn't take too long to learn how to use gestures. Once you do, it is just so simple and easy to use
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Speed View Post
    i dont know you guys 10min seriously 5min really come one acouple of mins ok i buy that,,,,,but as of right now who even use the forward gesture any more, i dont even remember when was the last time i use it. so its pretty much swipe back and that it for me,,,,,WAIT!!!! i take that back, i just forgot i have advance gesture on, so i dont have to minimize my cards to switch,,,,just swip from right to left or left to right,,,,,lol
    i'm with you. When you stop to think about it you only have a few options when using gestures. When I fist picked up the phone it took a few mins to get use to "the idea" of using gestures but not how it actually works.

I never see a review of the Pre with advanced gestures on for swiping between apps while in full screen. I believe it is the best feature of the phone, and i think that brings the total gesture count to learn up to 4?
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post
    do you all know something I don't know? 5 minutes to learn gestures. really? i showed my 10 yr old niece how to navigate the phone in less than a minute ... what am I mising?
    totally agree
    I love the gesture area but maybe Palm should send out a little sticker or card that shows a few gestures with the demo phones. I'll echo another posters theory that the customer may get stuck somewhere and not know how to go back or how to bring up card view. Yes they are simple but you have maybe a minute or so get someone interested in a phone. If they bring up something like the camera or calender and don't know how to bring up something else, they may get frustrated and move onto another phone.
    i love the gesture area and i'm wondering if the new tablet will incorporate gestures. would be awesome !
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Gestures is a definite feature of my palm pre+, one I wish more devices would incorporate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I love the gesture area but maybe Palm should send out a little sticker or card that shows a few gestures with the demo phones. I'll echo another posters theory that the customer may get stuck somewhere and not know how to go back or how to bring up card view. Yes they are simple but you have maybe a minute or so get someone interested in a phone. If they bring up something like the camera or calender and don't know how to bring up something else, they may get frustrated and move onto another phone.

I agree, but more specifically they need to put one of those clear plastic covers with writing and arrows on every new pre, and on the demo pres in the store. The rubbery clear ones that come off easily. All blackberrys come with them to explain the buttons.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    I agree, but more specifically they need to put one of those clear plastic covers with writing and arrows on every new pre, and on the demo pres in the store. The rubbery clear ones that come off easily. All blackberrys come with them to explain the buttons.
    Yes that would do the trick.
  14. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    My five year old was given a ten second demo of hoe the gesture area works. "Slide up goes to cards and then again to get the launcher. Slide left takes you back one step."

He got it and never had to be told anything about it again.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hollabak009 View Post
    just saying people probably buy a droid because it SEEMS easier
    You know what, you may have a point. Not just gestures but the device seems a bit more advanced for the average user. At least with iPhone these days anyone can jailbreak and modify with diff themes and what not, its so much more intuative now.
    I know adults, engineers, not brain dead guys, with Pres having problems with the gestures. They understand what they're "supposed" to do but either they're not coordinated or just don't have the hang of it, but they have to repeat swipes 3 or 4 times to get what they want. I thought it was maybe a defective phone, but I did it on their phone just as easily as I do on my own. So these guys are seriously thinking Android and calling the Pre "unresponsive". I tell them to practice, but they've had their phones for like 4 months. I don't know what else to tell them.

I love gestures, but they aren't for everyone. Whereas dumb physical buttons require no instruction and are pretty damn repeatable, for everybody. Its safe to say that almost everyone is now in a "push button" mentality. The future computers (Surface, webOS, etc) will move to more gestures, but I don't think everyone's brain is wired for that yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    i showed my gf how android works on youtube, and she was not impressed
    Well, it's pretty hard to be impressed with much on youtube over something that is acutally in your hands.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I didn't have any difficulty picking up the gesture area.
  19.    #79  
    it's not difficult if you know them
    OK so everyone knows how when you first purchase the phone, it has a transparant plastic film over the screen and gesture area? Well, perhaps the film should should have printed on it (over the gesture area) an arrow pointing left, labeled "Back". And an arrow pointing up, labeled "Home". The arrows should be printed right where you would swipe. After the new user has done this a few times, they'll feel comfortable removing the plastic film. Other gestures (double swiping up, brining up the wave, and the advanced app switching gesture) can be introduced by introductory videos.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast