Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hollabak009 View Post
    web os is very intuitive except when someone asks to use my phone, but they dont know how to use all the gestures....takes a whole 5 mins just to teach them...Could this be a theme in Verizon ans Sprint stores
    wow those are some stupid friends.... it took mine like 30 seconds.
    Je fais ce que je veux avec mes cheveux!!! Sprint: Pre+ 2.1
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    If anything, I think the keyboard i think they keyboard is what turns people off
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Well, I've been here since before patches existed. I actually bought myself a laptop so I could root my Pre and start poking around and modifying things

"How long did it take you to decide to install your first patch?"
    For me, it was about 30 minutes after I bought my Pre
    decide? 2-days. Actually work? Worked with the team here in getting the software install instructions to work with Vista 64. Took a while before the kinks were worked out. Then ..... SHAZAM.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    decide? 2-days. Actually work? Worked with the team here in getting the software install instructions to work with Vista 64. Took a while before the kinks were worked out. Then ..... SHAZAM.
    I was using Vista 64-bit back in June (I've upgraded to Windows 7 now) and I never had a problem with getting setting it up to access root on my Pre. I do remember that a lot of people couldn't get it to work though...
    My point was to show the high thinking members here how to think in the mind of the average Joe. As I said:

As mentioned, many people don't like change. Since a lot of us here invite it, it may be difficult to understand. So think of this. How long did it take you to decide to install your first patch? Then there was the introduction of scimms and overclocking. Change to these made most of us uneasy at first. After all we purchase a "neat" phone and were worried about messing it up. But in the end it all worked out.
    good point.. I installed the overclocking patch day one, but didn't want to when i first heard about it.. It took me weeks to change my mind. After reading posts from beta testers, and stuff i changed my mind.

But i'm a geek who overclocked his computer.. Even with that i wasn't sure about this, and was really paranoid, so yea..
    Quote Originally Posted by jurias View Post
    is the gesture area something that palm has a patent for? or is that old technology? there is a chinese phone that has the gesture area ala palm (not sure if it works same as palms)
    Lenovo LePhone unboxed, exhaustively reviewed ahead of launch in China -- Engadget
    do you have an idea how dumb of a patent that would be? it's pretty much a laptop trackpad with gestures instead of mouse control...
    Quote Originally Posted by hollabak009 View Post
    just saying people probably buy a droid because it SEEMS easier
    I pick up on technology quickly and had no problem doing so with webos. I have played around with android phones and absolutely cant figure them out. The navigation is confusing and ugly to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    do you have an idea how dumb of a patent that would be? it's pretty much a laptop trackpad with gestures instead of mouse control...
    Sounds like an apple patent
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Nimer- you need to go farther. LOL. I have never heard of a dumb patent. That's got to be like a stupid question. "there is no stupid question". The gesture is like a touchpad or trackpad but it is still very different. I hope it is and is licensed out for 1cent per phone. that would be big $$$$ for HP.
    What do you think?
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  10.    #50  
    they need to advertise how to use thie gesture area to clarify
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    So now i know why this Hero im testing for work wont swipe back. I actually tried swiping up down left and right when i first fired it up. then i found the menu button then the "other onscreen" buttons. Ugh !!

I will keep my test to a near stock Hero BUT i made my higher ups agree to let me keep the Pre ive had since launch.

So far the only thing i like is the web browser it has a mobile mode and full mode. (helps with some work login pages)

on screen KB bleeps imop.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    the original poster was trying to say this is why palm may be hving trouble selling phones,,,,because of the gesture area. That was absurd.
    Nope not absurd at all. I can easily imagine some poor guy finding his way to the bare-bones Pre+ display at a Verizon store, all alone (because God forbid a rep actually took them over there to show off the phone), futilely trying to navigate through the demo phone but having no idea why the they can't go back a screen. Frustrated, they move over to the flashy Droid display that they hear all the reps blathering on about and never return to the Pre+.

These things are easy and obvious to you and I, people who probably did plenty of research on phones and OS's before we even tried a Pre for the first time. But to the average Joe or Jane who walks in a total smartphone virgin (or even just a Palm virgin), this stuff isn't obvious at all.

OP makes a great point.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Nimer- you need to go farther. LOL. I have never heard of a dumb patent. That's got to be like a stupid question. "there is no stupid question". The gesture is like a touchpad or trackpad but it is still very different. I hope it is and is licensed out for 1cent per phone. that would be big $$$$ for HP.
    What do you think?
    haha... Alright the patent office grants alot of dumb patents.. like pinch and zoom.. The reason no one had it before, it's cause no one had a mainstream multitouch device before...
    Okay, I'm a representative of the senior generation who supposedly does not take well to new technology. When I got to handle the Pre for the first time a couple of days before the Sprint launch, I knew all the basic gestures because I had watched the CES 2009 video introducing the phone. How long does it take to figure out a couple of gestures? This is the most intuitive phone I have ever handled.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 05/11/2010 at 08:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I mentioned this before in a post I made. People at my school are really confused by the gesture area, making them frustrated, and not liking the phone.
    That prolly says more about the people in your school. But I digress. Hey, look; If a 10 yr can learn how to move her thumb left, right, tap or swipe up for a action then kids older than that should be able to do it right? I would hope. Otherwise our country is already in trouble. C'mon people.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    i dont know you guys 10min seriously 5min really come one acouple of mins ok i buy that,,,,,but as of right now who even use the forward gesture any more, i dont even remember when was the last time i use it. so its pretty much swipe back and that it for me,,,,,WAIT!!!! i take that back, i just forgot i have advance gesture on, so i dont have to minimize my cards to switch,,,,just swip from right to left or left to right,,,,,lol
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    The original poster did have a point:

While the mouse is easier than using the keyboard to navigate a computer, in 1987 I am sure a LOT of people said "wow this mouse thing is HARD to learn, im just going to stick to a keyboard and DOS, forget this GUI thing"

People hate change. Nerds like us dont, but a LOT of people hate change and are afraid of technology.

So, to have to learn something new even if it means a better experience even after 5 minutes of learning, many people won't.

I do think it is a legitamite concern and think that its why Palm needs more of an introduction to the Pre at Kiosks etc.

Or maybe a TV ad that actually shows someone using the freaking phone.
    You don't have to be a nerd to be good at comprehension. That is what schooling is for. If I show you something very simple and I allowed you to repeat the action several times, I would hope that you're able to comprehend what you're doing.

The gesture area is very easy to use and explain. When some purchases a new phone or piece of equipment you have to learn how it works, other wise you'll never be able to use it. So your statement having to learn something new, most people won't do it is kind of strange.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    ... swipe left,,swipe right,,oooo my brain hurts.
    Don't forget the tough one, flicking up into the screen from the gesture area...maybe it's easier for double-jointed people?
    I have to agree, WebOs in general is about thee most intuitive interface out there. The fact that someone who does not know it, and picks up a phone, and is not able to know every nuance instantly does not mean its not good.

Pick up ANY phone that is not yours, and there is a bit of a learning curve involved.

The fast that Pre/WebOs has a feature , that NONE otehrs have, Gestures, just make it unique and interesting and easy, once you get the concept

And I agree with some who said, about finding Adroid much harder to just jump into and know. My sons HTC hero, I find WAY more annoying to navigate around then say, even my husbands Instinct, or a friends iPhone. Say good or bad about those last 2, but they are fairly easy to get around. I do NOT find that with Android..

WebOS/Pre/Gestures ROCK!!
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    As mentioned, many people don't like change. Since a lot of us here invite it, it may be difficult to understand. So think of this. How long did it take you to decide to install your first patch? Then there was the introduction of scimms and overclocking. Change to these made most of us uneasy at first. After all we purchase a "neat" phone and were worried about messing it up. But in the end it all worked out.
    Just don't change my style of tightly whities.
    Am I the only one that saw what he wrote in white? lol, only saw it when someone quoted you... Well, not to derail this thread, I love the gesture area and when I show it to people, they think it's really cool. I've had people at work play around with it and they pick it up pretty quick. My wife on the other hand... She wants a phone to just work and doesn't like to sit down and learn about it, so she's had issues with it when she's picked it up....
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast