Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Some of them have smart phones. most have blackberrys (lame) one with a hero, mytouch, pre and feature phones.
    Is the kid with the Pre confused about gestures too?

Seriously though, It's not rocket science. It's simply an advancement in technology. Personally, I think the Gesture Area is a great idea. It also keeps the screen less cluttered... Imagine always having a 'Forward' and 'Back' button on your screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post
    i've never had anyone confused when I show them the phone, the reaction i always get is .. 'wow' ... 'that is so cool' , etc...
    I mean even though they are confused when I show them the phone, they do like it and say its cool and stuff. Its just they are impatient and are used to their phone.
    I had it in my hand for an hour at the Verizon store. I could never figure out how to go back. I finally had to ask for help. This OS interface is very clean and elegant, but some critical things are not intuitive. But palm has always been designed for the power users.

Does the Pre have a "home" screen with your top 10 apps? On the second day when I went back to play with the Pre some more, someone had moved the phone icon off of the quick launch area! I'll guaranty you that no one bought a Pre from that store that day.

I'm still on the fence between a Droid incredible and Palm Pre. Or I might wait a few more months to see if Verizon gets an iPhone.

The two things I don't like about the android phones are how cluttered and messy they are, and how hard it is to close an app. I don't think you will need an app killer on webOS or the iPhone.

~Jay
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    get them to play with the Pre for a bit and have them go back to another phone and i bet they try to gesture .. LOL .. that's what I do when I pick up someone elses phone.
    I am in love with WebOS and have no idea how I functioned without it; it's just so natural.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Is the kid with the Pre confused about gestures too?

Seriously though, It's not rocket science. It's simply an advancement in technology. Personally, I think the Gesture Area is a great idea. It also keeps the screen less cluttered... Imagine always having a 'Forward' and 'Back' button on your screen.
    Of course not lol.

And I love the gesture area to. Actually one of the reasons I got it.
    again,any device worth having has a learning curve. But it would not be the reason wheather I buy it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by hollabak009 View Post
    web os is very intuitive except when someone asks to use my phone, but they dont know how to use all the gestures....takes a whole 5 mins just to teach them...Could this be a theme in Verizon ans Sprint stores
    Either your very bad at explaining it, or they are very dumb.. Maybe a mix of both.. (not trying to be mean)

In 30 seconds i get people to fall in love with gestures. Heres what I do..
    (stuff i say)

I swipe up (this is the gesture area, u can swipe up to bring up apps)

I open contacts, click on someone,(, swipe back from center to go back)

I click on someone else, (here try)

(swipe up to change apps, here swipe up again to bring up the launcher, click on something. Then swipe up again to go back, here you can play with them with cards...)

I demonstrate closing an app, and they usually love it. They open a few, just to close it.

Usually before i finish i have people going like: "WOOOOOW, this is sooooooo cooooool." Sure i deal with teenagers, who find little things amusing, and need very short time to learn things, but still..

If i'm looking to wow them, I then show universal search, and notifications.. Universal search blows people away, especially the google, and wiki part. Notifications, not so much.
    I still miss the graffiti area
    I wish all phones were as easy to use as the pre. The BB Storm was a nightmare. God forbid if you left a program open, you would lose memory at a high rate. Plus the needed Battery pull app every night to get your memory back.
    As mentioned, many people don't like change. Since a lot of us here invite it, it may be difficult to understand. So think of this. How long did it take you to decide to install your first patch? Then there was the introduction of scimms and overclocking. Change to these made most of us uneasy at first. After all we purchase a "neat" phone and were worried about messing it up. But in the end it all worked out.
    Just don't change my style of tightly whities.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    I wish all phones were as easy to use as the pre. The BB Storm was a nightmare. God forbid if you left a program open, you would lose memory at a high rate. Plus the needed Battery pull app every night to get your memory back.
    Man, i have such a hard time with ipod touches, and iphones.. Things close instead of going into card view, and to make things worst the gesture area never works... WHATS UP WITH THAT?
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    As mentioned, many people don't like change. Since a lot of us here invite it, it may be difficult to understand. So think of this. How long did it take you to decide to install your first patch? Then there was the introduction of scimms and overclocking. Change to these made most of us uneasy at first. After all we purchase a "neat" phone and were worried about messing it up. But in the end it all worked out.
    Well, no you can't expect an average person to install patches, but gestures is fairly simple.. If the iphone had it people would be in love with it, but it's palm.. With hp's help they will be able to get the message across..
    I briefly used an iPad tonight, got into a photo album and it took me a few seconds to figure out how to go back. Before I swiped, I realized there wasn't a gesture area and looked around for a button on the screen.
    I can see people being briefly confused by WebOS, but once the gesture area is explained they SHOULD pick it up quickly (with the occasional "where is the back button?").
    But, to the original poster's point, it still requires someone (video, etc.) to explain it to them. A back button, while not necessarily obvious, is self explanatory.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVisibleShadow View Post
    I briefly used an iPad tonight, got into a photo album and it took me a few seconds to figure out how to go back. Before I swiped, I realized there wasn't a gesture area and looked around for a button on the screen.
    I can see people being briefly confused by WebOS, but once the gesture area is explained they SHOULD pick it up quickly (with the occasional "where is the back button?").
    But, to the original poster's point, it still requires someone (video, etc.) to explain it to them. A back button, while not necessarily obvious, is self explanatory.
    well that's why palm should have the demo of when you get your phone easily accessible. Maybe not exactly that one but have a 30 second interactive video on gestures.
    the original poster was trying to say this is why palm may be hving trouble selling phones,,,,because of the gesture area. That was absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by hollabak009 View Post
    web os is very intuitive except when someone asks to use my phone, but they dont know how to use all the gestures....takes a whole 5 mins just to teach them...Could this be a theme in Verizon ans Sprint stores
    It's a failure of management and the sales staff willing to learn about the products they sell. Any employee at one of these stores that I have come across they understands it, believes that the Pre is the most advanced OS/phone in the store. The only reason they would sell another type is ease of sale and the apps or the sales person is just LAZY! With all the people looking for work, maybe the lazy sales staff who do not inform the customers fully need to be fired.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Well, no you can't expect an average person to install patches, but gestures is fairly simple.. If the iphone had it people would be in love with it, but it's palm.. With hp's help they will be able to get the message across..
    My point was to show the high thinking members here how to think in the mind of the average Joe. As I said:

We want them!!!
    It's a failure of management and the sales staff willing to learn about the products they sell. Any employee at one of these stores that I have come across they understands it, believes that the Pre is the most advanced OS/phone in the store. The only reason they would sell another type is ease of sale and the apps or the sales person is just LAZY!
    Almost every one of my experience with cellphone sales reps have been terrible. I always end up knowing more then them... It makes me wonder how they have a job.I'd like to be a Sprint sales guy... Might as well put my knowledge of phones to good use lol. (As long as they paid me enough)
    Well, I've been here since before patches existed. I actually bought myself a laptop so I could root my Pre and start poking around and modifying things

"How long did it take you to decide to install your first patch?"
    For me, it was about 30 minutes after I bought my Pre
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    is the gesture area something that palm has a patent for? or is that old technology? there is a chinese phone that has the gesture area ala palm (not sure if it works same as palms)
    Lenovo LePhone unboxed, exhaustively reviewed ahead of launch in China -- Engadget
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast