Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Well I've been waiting to buy a Palm Pre since January 2009...(Treo 680 is ready for pasture)

Palm decided to cut Australia off from it's market (to focus on their main markets)...

Our problem is our biggest network, (in rural areas) Telstra Next G, runs at 850Mhz...

So is it true that we can now get a Pre from AT&T that will work here in Australia at 850Mhz? Off contract at $399?!

Please tell me this is true!!

The last problem will then be figuring out how to buy apps from the US with an Australian credit card.

Is this indeed a great day? The time when we also can buy a Qwerty phone overseas and get it working without various hacks?
    Last edited by Mavoz; 05/10/2010 at 07:16 PM.
    If you (or someone in the US) cannot acquire one directly from AT&T this place Negri Electronics - iPhones, Pocket PC's, Smart Phones, Cell Phones, Ultra Mobile PC's, PDA's, GPS Devices, Cameras and More... will sell them unlocked.

I have been advised by them this morning that they expect to receive the Palm Pre+ on 19 May and they will be unlocked by them. Hence it can be assumed that they will be activated (in US) at start-up which at the very least will allow access to the App Catalog.

I've also been informed that the price may decrease (or at the very least stay at the pre-order price) which is pretty reasonable.

Let's see what happens upon launch!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Let me know if any of you guys get an ATT version running in your countries as I'm definitely interested as well.
    I used GSM Cingular/ATT Palm phones for years. They worked great in Europe.
    I photo blogged my way through Europe twice once with 600 and once with 650.
    Palms worked great. i bought Orange Prepaid cards once and internationally roamed once (ok, that was a $1,200 mistake) Even when phone was locked Cingular was great about unlocking.
    I would move to the GSM phone in a minute if ATT didn't suck so badly.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies...much appreciated...

so let me see if I have this right.....for those of us in International markets where Palm won't sell phones we have 4 essential problems:

1.) It is currently difficult to purchase unlocked phones (with the exception of the German Qwertz Pre)...the new AT&T Pre may also be difficult.
    2.) If you do manage to purchase an unlocked phone you also have find some way to get it activated..the AT&T Pre virtually needs you to be an American citizen..or have an American address...
    3.) If you do overcome the unlock/activation issue you must also recognise that there is no warranty in your local country
    4.) If you do manage to import the phone, get it activated, ignore dangers of warranty problems you still cannot purchase applications unless you have a credit card in the country of purchase.

So even if you have been a loyal Palm customer for many years, and want to support their company and phone, there are many obstacles in place to prevent you from doing so...and all of this in an environment where Palm is struggling to sell phones!

Meanwhile I can pull out my credit card...walk into the local shopping centre and just buy an iPhone....

Oh Palm..I do want to buy your Palm Pre...but you just have to give us a way to do it without having to navigate an International obstacle course!
    I hear what you're saying Mavoz. In my case, I've chosen to ignore the warranty issue (even though I can ship back to point of sale) and the use of the paid App Catalog and am awaiting an unlocked 'French' Palm Pre Plus to arrive next week!!

should add that the Palm has been activated in France with an SFR sim.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I used GSM Cingular/ATT Palm phones for years. They worked great in Europe.
    I photo blogged my way through Europe twice once with 600 and once with 650.
    Palms worked great. i bought Orange Prepaid cards once and internationally roamed once (ok, that was a $1,200 mistake) Even when phone was locked Cingular was great about unlocking.
    I would move to the GSM phone in a minute if ATT didn't suck so badly.
    In the 2G quadband era that would be fine, but nowadays it's HSPA. The AT&T Pre only supports 850/1900, which won't work outside of North America and Australia.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by thewhitetower View Post
    If you (or someone in the US) cannot acquire one directly from AT&T this place Negri Electronics - iPhones, Pocket PC's, Smart Phones, Cell Phones, Ultra Mobile PC's, PDA's, GPS Devices, Cameras and More... will sell them unlocked.

I have been advised by them this morning that they expect to receive the Palm Pre+ on 19 May and they will be unlocked by them. Hence it can be assumed that they will be activated (in US) at start-up which at the very least will allow access to the App Catalog.

I've also been informed that the price may decrease (or at the very least stay at the pre-order price) which is pretty reasonable.

Let's see what happens upon launch!
    100 bucks over the MSRP 399.... that's quite a lot. Even after unlocking, that's still almost 60 more. You can get Stewie to play the tuba behind you when walking for that money.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    In the 2G quadband era that would be fine, but nowadays it's HSPA. The AT&T Pre only supports 850/1900, which won't work outside of North America and Australia.
    And in Australia, I think it's only on Telstra's network.