1.    #1  
    I know at this site 95% of you will encourage me to get the Pre Plus, but I still hope you can help me objectively decide on my next phone.

I have been on a Palm phone for a very long time. The first was the second generation qualcom, then I moved to the big fat Kyocera, and for the past 3 or 4 years the Treo 700p.

Contacts, Calendar and Phone are most important. That is nearly perfect on the Treo.

Second most important is web browsing. By today's standards the web browsing on the Treo is horrible.

Third are entertainment apps. I really want XM and Pandora on a phone.

Saturday I spent about an hour messing around with the Pre in the Verizon store. The web browsing is great, the keypad is usable, but not good. Only Blackberry knows how to make a mobile keyboard. The pandora app was already installed and it worked very well. The phone seemed fast and smooth like the golden standard iPhone.

I asked the salesman if he gets many returns, he said they do get a lot because of it being to slow. I hadn't noticed a problem, so I figured I was OK with what ever delay there is.

It seems like apps take a bit too long to launch, but once they're up, they work very quickly. Is that true?

Battery life sucks from what I have read, but there is a big 2700mah kit that will solve that problem. That creates a new problem for me, I won't be able to use a holster with the extended battery. Maybe I can learn to stop looking like a nerd and put the phone in my pocket.

Wifi hotspot is a huge feature that I can imagine myself using now that it's free.

The iPhone and the Android phones are fast and have tons of really useful apps, not just fun and games. Will I feel like I'm missing something with the Pre?

The most important aspect of a phone is reliability. The only real reason I want to dump my Treo is that is will sometimes wipe itself while I'm out. sometime it doesn't respond as fast as it should. Sometimes it gets in a reboot cycle.

How is the Pre in that regard?

Did anyone here move from an iPhone to a Pre? If so tell me about it.

Thanks,
    ~Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay m View Post
    Contacts, Calendar and Phone are most important. That is nearly perfect on the Treo.
    It really depends on what you want. The only calendar feature that I am missing is sending out emails about deadline changes and stuff like that directly from the calendar. People have complained about problems like the inability to have multiple calendars, but that is very much a problem with the wetware needing an update as the calendar does that, seamlessly. Some people just don't know how, even though it's quite easy. Contacts have been implemented better than on any other platform IMO. You can merge a friend's telephone numbers, email adresses, instant messaging, facebook and other profile entries together, and then when you text them, you can seamlessly switch to gTalk or Y!M and keep talking in the same messaging thread. Phone... just works.

Second most important is web browsing. By today's standards the web browsing on the Treo is horrible.
    webOS is basically a web browser. So the browser that you use is a very quick webkit-based browser that will display just about anything, including web pages made specifically for iPhones, perfectly.

I have no idea what XM is, but we have Pandora. And I'd love to use it. But it's US only. Oh well.

[...]

It seems like apps take a bit too long to launch, but once they're up, they work very quickly. Is that true?
    Absolutely. Unless you install an overclock kernel or a patch that brings the Pre up to its stock processor speed of 600MHz (Palm underclock it to 500), Apps do take a second or two to start, but once they're running, you can run 10 at the same time without noticing any real slowdown. Bird in the bush, I know, but this issue is going to be alleviated in the next few months as Palm finally implements code that will make use of the graphics chip in the Pre to render animations and so on. The official timeframe for this is "by fall", so expect this to happen sometime during summer.

Battery life sucks from what I have read, but there is a big 2700mah kit that will solve that problem. That creates a new problem for me, I won't be able to use a holster with the extended battery. Maybe I can learn to stop looking like a nerd and put the phone in my pocket.
    Maybe. But battery life sucking is really a question of what you expect. The Pre battery needs more break-in than most I've used in the past, but once it's been running for a week or two, it does serve for a full day. That is not stellar by any means, but seems OK to me as I'm never away from a power source for much longer. I also have a spare battery, so that's that issue eaten for breakfast.
    This problem, too, should go away once the GPU is being used for user interface rendering. As it is now, the processor does all of the graphics; the graphics chip is going to be much more energy efficient at that once it's being used.

Wifi hotspot is a huge feature that I can imagine myself using now that it's free.
    Absolutely rocks. It's always been free for us Europe users, and makes my iPhone friend go red in the face. Don't expect it to run for long unless your phone is charging while you're using it though.

The iPhone and the Android phones are fast and have tons of really useful apps, not just fun and games. Will I feel like I'm missing something with the Pre?
    Yes. Sad to say, but, yes. At this moment, you probably will. Especially in the fun and games department (no preBeer app yet, although it would be possible to make one or port the iBeer thing). The webOS app catalog has under 3.000 apps as we speak (~2.700 I think) while Android has 50.000 and iPhone has 150.000. There's two reasons for this: 1.) webOS is a young platform that hasn't been on the market for quite a year, and 2.) developers tended to do their best to look away when webOS came into their field of vision. The latter issue is on its way to becoming a non-issue; you can bet hard money on people jumping on board once HP starts to wave the moneybags, and since they seem to be absolutely dead serious about webOS, you can be sure that they WILL wave them to get more devs on board. This will not happen overnight, or next week. But the situation WILL get better as more and more developers notice that Palm is no longer on its deathbed, but has instead become a division of the world's largest tech corporation.

The most important aspect of a phone is reliability. The only real reason I want to dump my Treo is that is will sometimes wipe itself while I'm out. sometime it doesn't respond as fast as it should. Sometimes it gets in a reboot cycle.

Mixed results. My phone has been 100% reliable. Live moved fast; I didn't miss a thing. Random wipes? That sounds terrible and I'm glad I've never had anything like that happen. In the four months before I began to overclock my Pre because I'm wild like that, the OS crashed once, and was back up within 30 seconds - so if you can survive that, you shouldn't have much more to fear. Reboot cycles are unheard of except in overclocking circles.
    The thing is that some people get Pres From Hell that they have to send in every other day because every single part of it breaks in succession. This tends to be more of an issue with original Pres rather than Pre Pluses.

Hope this helps
  3.    #3  
    Wow! That was a huge help, thank you.

I really love the looks of the pre, and the WebOs is very elegant. Maybe I'll try one for 30 days. In the USA I can get the phone for free + $60 tax. Then I'll add a $45 battery kit and a $25 case. For an additional $99 I can reduce my contract from 2 years to only 1.

The other phone I'd consider is the Droid Incredible for over $200 + tax and accessories.

If the iPhone were on Verizon, I'd already own one

thanks again.

~Jay
    Try it out for 30 days and then, a couple of days before you need to decide, go to a store and play around with a Droid Incredible. Then go to an apple store and play around with an iphone, just for giggles. I can almost guarantee you that you won't see yourself downgrading to chunky Android or iPhone OS after having used webOS.
    I made the same move - long time Palm user, went from Treo 700p to Pre.

The contacts on the Pre are much better. Alot. The calendar is much worse. Alot. It is much more stable than the 700p. The phone is probably about the same.

If you are a legacy Palm user, make sure you check out Classic, by Motion Apps. It has some flaws, but you can basically run your old Palm programs inside your pre, on an emulator that is at least as fast as your Treo hardware. You can even hotsync! Most of the old useful programs run fine on it (Docs to Go, Password Plus, etc.).
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    I made the same move - long time Palm user, went from Treo 700p to Pre.

The contacts on the Pre are much better. Alot. The calendar is much worse. Alot. It is much more stable than the 700p. The phone is probably about the same.

If you are a legacy Palm user, make sure you check out Classic, by Motion Apps. It has some flaws, but you can basically run your old Palm programs inside your pre, on an emulator that is at least as fast as your Treo hardware. You can even hotsync! Most of the old useful programs run fine on it (Docs to Go, Password Plus, etc.).

I also came from a Treo (680p, which was AT&T's version of the 700p) and moved to a Pre last June.

While the OS has been going through some growing pains, it's still the best on the market. The hardware on the Pre has been the main issue and I believe it's already improving and will continue to do so.

I am a heavy exchange account user (email/calendar/contacts). I have actually found all three to be a vast improvemnt over the Treo, unlike the person quoted above. I think the calendar is far superior to the Treo, but I guess it all depends on how you use it, etc.

I agree with other posters, if you try the Pre for 30 days, then take a look at the other phones you're considering now, you'll be very glad you went with the Pre.
    The Pre is really not a "logical" move from a Treo; however it happens because many of us (myself included) had been using "Palm devices" for so long, and were reluctant to change.

This is not the Palm you are used to. If you can handle a significant paradigm shift (and it sounds like you can), I think you'll be happy with the Pre. Once you get used to syncing to the cloud, you see many advantages of that over what we were doing for years syncing to a local device, and finding all sorts of addons to make that work.

From yoru opening post, it sounds like you've done the basics, and are satisified. I'd say buy it, go with it for 30 days, and see what you think.
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    Also remember there is always the Classics app if you have any apps you can't live without from your old Palm OS device. I had a Pre with Sprint a few months back, but the hardware was too bad for me. A week in and the oreo twist was already started. I decided against it. Last week I grabbed a Pre Plus on Verizon because I heard of some hardware improvements. I liked it better, but I still had issues. I finally exchanged it for the Pixi Plus, and while it's not as powerful I'm much happier with the form factor, the build quality, and the keyboard is miles better in my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    [QUOTE=ISU_phoria;2445751]

I am a heavy exchange account user (email/calendar/contacts). I have actually found all three to be a vast improvemnt over the Treo, unlike the person quoted above. I think the calendar is far superior to the Treo, but I guess it all depends on how you use it, etc.
    QUOTE]

In what way is the calendar far superior? The only ones I could think of is that each application can have its own calendar and it integrates out-of-the-box with google/facebook, etc. Good ideas.

But the rest of the calendar functionality is 10 steps backwards. It is much slower, especially if you have lots of entrees. You cannot schedule repeating appointments to end. The date picker doesn't have a calendar interface. There is no default "agenda"-like view.

I liked the way you could beam events to each other on the Palm. I liked the way you could export calendar items and files, and click on them in email and have them added (this may be an email issue, and if you are using exchange and this is an event on your server, then maybe less of an issue).

I seriously think the calendar app is the biggest disappointment in WebOS. I love the rest. Very well thought out. But the first thing HP should do is lock them in a room with a Palm III, and tell them to duplicate its PIM features.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    You CAN schedule repeating appointments to end. I have hundreds of entries (literally hundreds) and my calendar isn't slow at all for me. The date picker should have a calendar interface so you can see the weekday, granted. It doesn't have an agenda view; but the app Agenda exists, and rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay m View Post
    I know at this site 95% of you will encourage me to get the Pre Plus, but I still hope you can help me objectively decide on my next phone.

I have been on a Palm phone for a very long time. The first was the second generation qualcom, then I moved to the big fat Kyocera, and for the past 3 or 4 years the Treo 700p.

Saturday I spent about an hour messing around with the Pre in the Verizon store. The web browsing is great, the keypad is usable, but not good. Only Blackberry knows how to make a mobile keyboard. The pandora app was already installed and it worked very well. The phone seemed fast and smooth like the golden standard iPhone.

I asked the salesman if he gets many returns, he said they do get a lot because of it being to slow. I hadn't noticed a problem, so I figured I was OK with what ever delay there is.

Did anyone here move from an iPhone to a Pre? If so tell me about it.

Thanks,
    ~Jay
    Jay
    I went from a 700p to a pixi.
    I also run the Classic App
    Using the classic app my hone works just like a 700p and best of all I can use it one handed
    I've been on a Treo 755p for the last three years but made the jump to the Pre+ about two weeks ago and have no regrets. Like you, calendar, contacts, phone, and web browsing were important to me. Also the memo feature.

I Had a few problems successfully migrating Treo data from the Palm Desktop to the Pre+ cloud but after a few failed attempts, Palm Tech Support came to the rescue.

By and large, I'm pleased with the move and glad I made it (much as I loved my Treo). Here's a summary of pros and cons based on my experience.

Pro:

--The cloud concept takes some getting used to but is a step forward. Not having to hot sync every day or so makes life simpler.
    --The webOS is simply elegant. I'm a non-tekkie but picked up on it fast.
    --Web surfing seems to be orders or magnitude faster. Bookmarking and managing bookmarks is also much simpler than it was on the Treo.
    --You also have the option of having frequently used web pages appear as icons on the launcher. Nice touch.
    --Many more productivity and entertainment apps available.
    --Camera is much easier to use and has much better resolution than the Treo.

Con:
    --Keys aren't as easy to use as the Treo bubble keys but I'm finding it's becoming less of a problem the more I use the Pre+ keyboard.
    --Battery life for the Pre+ not nearly as good as for the Treo
    --Pre+ supposedly works with Yahoo but I just couldn't make my existing account work. Finally established a Google account.
    --Google calendar is OK but not as intuitive or user friendly as the Palm Desktop calendar. Again, takes some getting used to.
    --Found out that Verizon apparently limits functionality of location-based services (such as Google Maps) unless you also subscribe to VZ Navigator at $9.99/mo. DON'T DO IT!! There's another forum on here that addresses that issue.

My advice: Give it a shot.
    Long time Palm user here, all the way back to Handspring and Treo 300. Had to go to corporate issue Blackberry after a Centro died on me. I begged my company to let me switch to Palm Pre Plus and absolutely love it. My wife has an iPhone and I wouldn't trade her for it under any circumstance. WebOS is superior as a platform with Linux apps and multi-tasking. It does have the feeling of being a bit immature, but that will get fixed in time as the user community grows and HP continues to invest.

My one beef is with Exchange functionality. Definitely room for improvement with meeting invites and formatting issues with replies and forwards (though some homebrew patches have made modest improvements).

Once there is a stable Terminal app and a fully functional GPS, I will be ecstatic!
    PS, I have begun messing around with ClassicNote as a better Memo-like app for notes than the sticky note version that is native to WebOS. Check it out on Preware.