Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1.    #1  
    I have a co-worker that just got a motorola droid from verizon. She came back from the VZ store and had no idea how to work the phone and spent the whole afternoon trying to figure it out. I had showed her my pre before and when she was struggling with the droid, I showed her how easy things were with my pre. I told her she should go back and exchange it, but to no avail. Sadly I failed to convince her and now, a week later, she is still struggling with some of the basic features that should be pretty simple.

    So I'm curious, How you guys/gals demo your pre's when people ask about them?
  2. #2  
  3. xtn
    xtn is offline
    xtn's Avatar
    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    #3  
    I show people how easily it slides into my front pocket on vibrate mode... Then I ask them to call me.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    I show people how easily it slides into my front pocket on vibrate mode... Then I ask them to call me.
    LOL you're twisted... funny but twisted...
  5. #5  
    I start by pointing out the theme (usually iPhone or OSX) to show customization. I flip a few pages to show 800mhz speed. Then I show multiple browsers loading (re-loading because they were already open. Starting a text or call by typing a name. I zoom out to tiny cards to rearrange them. I tell them about homebrew.

    Then I launch app catalog and install a free app. While it is still downloading, I close the catalog so they will see the "app install finished" notification while I'm back in a browser showing pinch/zoom/pan and double tapping frames.

    Generally by then they have snatched it out of my hand and are playing around with giggles and snorts of amazement...

    Takes about two minutes to impress an iPhone user. About 30 seconds for everyone else...
  6. #6  
    I usually show them how flawlessly easy it is to multitask and how intuitive the UI is. People get really aw'd when they see how easy and fun it is to navigate through cards. Sometimes I open up 3d games as well, but last time I did that I got a too many cards open error > luckily I was fast to hit okay before they could see the error.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman1113 View Post
    I have a co-worker that just got a motorola droid from verizon. She came back from the VZ store and had no idea how to work the phone and spent the whole afternoon trying to figure it out. I had showed her my pre before and when she was struggling with the droid, I showed her how easy things were with my pre. I told her she should go back and exchange it, but to no avail. Sadly I failed to convince her and now, a week later, she is still struggling with some of the basic features that should be pretty simple.

    So I'm curious, How you guys/gals demo your pre's when people ask about them?
    For this user, I'd start with the "5 gestures in 5 minutes" so she could see that there is no additional learning over time.

    Then I'd ask her what her top 5 tasks are. I'd take her droid and figure out how to do them so she could see the same tasks done side by side.

    I'd close by picking one or two things that are really cool that she didn't know was possible and then show them side by side... My favorite is to take their picture and upload it to facebook. People are amazed at how easy that is, especially since it's freaking complicated from a PC and frustrates everyone.

    Note to Palm, effective ads would follow this model. Pick tasks that are important to most users, and show how simple it is. Like the old Microsft tag line "Everyday tasks made simple/better/easy"
  8. #8  
    side by side comparisons is a fantastic way of showing how webos is easier and more efficient to work with than other OS's
  9. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetnessinfall View Post
    I usually show them how flawlessly easy it is to multitask and how intuitive the UI is. People get really aw'd when they see how easy and fun it is to navigate through cards. Sometimes I open up 3d games as well, but last time I did that I got a too many cards open error > luckily I was fast to hit okay before they could see the error.
    Choose a 3d game that's smaller in size.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetnessinfall View Post
    side by side comparisons is a fantastic way of showing how webos is easier and more efficient to work with than other OS's
    Yep, the key is to get her droid so you can figure out how to accomplish the tasks that are most important to her.

    BTW, that's how VZ should be selling phones. Understand the most common 5 tasks, and be able to demo them on every phone in the display.

    Perhaps:

    1) Find a contact and dial their number (it's a phone before anything else)

    2) send/recieve text message (compose, address, notification, threaded reading)

    3) Find something on the web. hit page re-load and then move to another app. comment that the page is loading in the background while you are on to #4

    4) Share it. Copy and paste into a text message.

    5) social networking. Take a picture and post it to twitter.

    6) notification. Send yourself a text and then browse the web to show how notifications don't interrupt.

    7) card view. Having left all of these apps open, jump to card view to page between them, jump to tiny cards and rearrange them. zoom in and show the page that was loading in the background...
  11. #11  
    I tell them to look at their computer and search for wireless networks.

    Since mine is named "Bad Motherfu--ker" it usually catches their eye on the list of available networks.

    Then we move on to syncing with iTunes, uploading to Youtube and Facebook with a click, the 800 speed, and the unlimited customization, 16 gigs of memory, a little Need For Speed.

    I've sold 4 Pres in under 4 months. With those numbers, I might be up for "Employee of the Year" if I worked at Verizon.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitwilly View Post
    I tell them to look at their computer and search for wireless networks.

    Since mine is named "Bad Motherfu--ker" it usually catches their eye on the list of available networks.

    Then we move on to syncing with iTunes, uploading to Youtube and Facebook with a click, the 800 speed, and the unlimited customization, 16 gigs of memory, a little Need For Speed.

    I've sold 4 Pres in under 4 months. With those numbers, I might be up for "Employee of the Year" if I worked at Verizon.
    Synching with iTunes?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Choose a 3d game that's smaller in size.
    Might be better to use a YouTube video, because not all users are gamers...

    I'm not on sprint, but I'm surprised that the TMC thing hasn't been fixed by now...
  14. #14  
    My problem with showing people my phone is I believe that I overwhelm them to much. I turn into super geek and start talking faster than they can listen. I usually start with the keyboard trick (meaning it has a keyboard) then I go to the UI and how easy it is to move around without thinking to much. I tell them it's like a iphone but better and blah blah blah and this is where I turn into the prehulk and start going crazy on them with specs and gaming and web browsing it's everything we all know it does but my mom's friend head is about to explode.


    Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joescan09 View Post
    My problem with showing people my phone is I believe that I overwhelm them to much. I turn into super geek and start talking faster than they can listen. I usually start with the keyboard trick (meaning it has a keyboard) then I go to the UI and how easy it is to move around without thinking to much. I tell them it's like a iphone but better and blah blah blah and this is where I turn into the prehulk and start going crazy on them with specs and gaming and web browsing it's everything we all know it does but my mom's friend head is about to explode.
    Follow the steps I listed above as a script, and you will be very effective. I used to do something similar in a previous job, and it is a proven method...

    Give it a try and report back? I always have 3 browsers, my messaging app, and a few others open before I start. I close one as part of introducing the basic gestures, so they know what all that thumb flicking is about and can follow more easily.

    Onward!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Synching with iTunes?
    I synced with iTunes last night.

    I just use an older version of iTunes, which doesnt bother me.
    It works beautifully.

    You really didnt know that it works?
  17. #17  
    I just get so passionate about webos and my pre I turn into a monster and make people's heads explode trying to cram as much webos experience into there soft smartphone brains they just die on the spot. I think I have 3 total deaths due to webos talking.


    Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
  18. #18  
    If I were to show someone, I would probably show them the way the pages flip when multitasking, and explain the gesture area, and explain why my phone is all tricked out with themes. I would show how you swipe things away to delete them, how messages pop up on the homescreen, and explain about all the little things that can be changed via the ongoing adventures of the homebrew genius troupe. And then I'll tell them it's only $30.

    That last part should seal the deal.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitwilly View Post
    I synced with iTunes last night.

    I just use an older version of iTunes, which doesnt bother me.
    It works beautifully.

    You really didnt know that it works?
    What version of WebOS are you running? I tried to do it with an older version of iTunes (also required an old version of QT) and I was never able to make it work... but I've been on 1.4 (and now 1.4.1.1) from day one... Are you able to make it work with 1.4 or later? I knew about it, but I had given up on this...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/10/2010 at 02:54 PM.
  20. #20  
    I was showing a guy at work how the phone multitasks, then went into the Youtube app, and downloaded the video to my phone without playing it, checked my twitter and when the video had downloaded I went into my videos and played it whilst Twitter, Facebook and the browser were also open.

    He is ordering one this weekend when he gets paid.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions