1.    #1  
    I bought my Pre a week ago now, and almost every day i'm second guessing myself on if I should have held out a bit longer to get a newer palm phone. I'm just realizing that by the time i'll be able to upgrade, the pre will be 3 YEARS OLD, which is ancient in terms of technology. So, I have two questions:

1.) Can I just straight up return my pre to sprint, wait until the new palm phone comes out, and buy it with my 2 year upgrade discount still? I'm a premier customer if it matters.

2.) How do you think software support will be in the future? It all comes down to the apps and software upgrades. I really need a steady stream of both.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    If your premier then you will get an upgrade in 12 months.

Whether you want to wait or not really depends on your old phone and how well it will get you through a few months of waiting for a new phone. Since no new palm device has been announced yet it could easily be q4 before we see anything.
    If you are a Premier customer, you should be eligible for an upgrade in one year.

There are a lot of rumors floating around about the next webOS phone for Sprint, but we don't really know at this point. Some rumors say it will be out this summer, some say fall, some say next year. Given any of those timeframes and your Premier status, you should only have to wait a few months before you can upgrade.
  4.    #4  
    Well I should clarify, i'm a premier customer but i'm not the "main account", as we're on a family plan and i'm only eligible for upgrades every two years.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    First) Sprint Premier can now upgrade every year so you will be able to get a new phone next year at the new entry price.

Second) You can return your phone with in 30 days but I think you may have to exchange for a new phone at that time..maybe not..ask when you go in to return if you decide to do that.

I would recommend hanging on to the pre until next year..one year is not to long to have this phone at this time. Apps and Webos are getting better every day, once you get the hang of the phone you will love it. Take it from a long time blackberry guy
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    buy a pre off ebay and use boost mobile.
  7.    #7  
    For some reason, even though my entire family is premiere, it appears as if only the main account can upgrade every year, so I myself will be stuck with the phone for two years if I decide to keep it :/
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown91 View Post
    For some reason, even though my entire family is premiere, it appears as if only the main account can upgrade every year, so I myself will be stuck with the phone for two years if I decide to keep it :/
    In that case if you always wait to upgrade for the next best thing you will always be waiting.. there will always be a EVO or C40 on the horizon that everyone sells well blow all other phones away..the nature of tech

If you need a smart phone now the pre is one of the best on the market.. if you dont try to return and wait to upgrade when a smart phone will be imperative to your business or personal use
    could be 6 months before a new phone is available and has developer support. In that 6 months you could be enjoying the pre you just got and all the apps coming out to support it and the new phone. Also that new phone could be at a non discounted price for its first few months with non-discounted accessories. So if money is key, might be good to get this pre now.

But think about the functionality. Do you need this Pre now? I was able to use sprint nav right away (and get a cheaper and better plan than my old carrier) , that in itself made the phone a good value for me when I bought it last year.
  10.    #10  
    Yeah, I honestly would greatly benefit in having the pre now, and I realize that phone technology is a race that never ends, but I still can benefit by getting something brand new as opposed to a year old, theoretically. Which is why I was concerned about continued app support and improvements to webos coming to the pre. Decisions, decisions :/

Can I use the premier upgrade myself if the main account doesn't want it? Like can they buy the phone with their upgrade, and activate it on my phone number?
    I have had my Sprint pre seens launch day. I still love it! WebOS is so great! I am however gonna be moving to AT&T for teh pre plus I think this month. plus by the time you wait for the next smart phone in another 2-4 months another will becoming out! So I don't think its a big deal to get it now. Unless Palm or HP was talking about there next gen device. In this case they have not so the 6 month is still only a guess.
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    You're in a tough situation; with the announcements of new devices coming out this summer it's a tough call. I for one have not had a major problem with my pre and it's one of the better phone offerings out there. But if you're worried that a new webos phone will come out or if the Evo looks tempting, then you can return your phone within 30 days but you will have to pay a re-stocking fee. It sucks but atleast you can return the phone.
    Just buy a used one on eBay for $150 or so.
  14.    #14  
    Can I use the premier upgrade myself if the main account doesn't want it? Like can they buy the phone with their upgrade, and activate it on my phone number?

Just buy a used one on eBay for $150 or so.
    Buy what? I already own the pre now.
    once there is a newer palm phone available, you make your sister/mother/brother/etc take your pre and use their upgrade. Epic win for everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown91 View Post
    1.) Can I just straight up return my pre to sprint, wait until the new palm phone comes out, and buy it with my 2 year upgrade discount still? I'm a premier customer if it matters.
    Yes, you should be able to return it. I did that when I evaluated the HTC Hero in October. I bought the phone on a new line, and completely returned the line and the phone before 30 days was up. At that time, I had to pay for the pro-rated part of the 30 days that I used the service. Now, Sprint will even refund that. Assuming, of course, that you cancel the line. If you just return the phone and keep the line, you'll still have to pay for the line.

And you are correct: Sprint Premier upgrade after a year only applies to the primary line on the account, not all lines on the account. OTOH, Sprint allows you to change the primary line. So you might see if you can make your line the primary line for a bit, then do the upgrade when it comes around, and switch back after. I'm currently in the process of trying this, so I don't know if it'll work yet.
    Yes, but when you do this, you're on the upgrade schedule of whatever the primary line is. Here's an example of what I mean:
    • My phone is the primary line on my shared plan. My line was last upgraded in Oct 2009. I used my last upgrade to upgrade my wife's phone.
    • My wife's phone is not primary. Her line was last upgraded June 6, 2010. I used her last upgrade to get my Pre.
    • As it is, my next upgrade via Premier will be Oct 1 (the 12th month from my line's last upgrade).
    • I'm attempting to switch the primary line to my wife's line so that my Premier upgrade will be June 1 (the 12th month from my wife's line's last upgrade)

I'm about 90% sure that this is going to work. When I asked the Sprint CSR to change the primary line, I told her exactly why I wanted to do it, and she seemed to think this would do it. We'll see. The primary line change won't take effect until the beginning of the next billing cycle. So we'll see whether or not I get to an upgrade on June 1.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 05/10/2010 at 12:00 PM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  17.    #17  
    Alright, thanks guy, i'll see what I can do. If I can verify that i'll be able to upgrade myself next year using the primary line's upgrade, then i'll do that. Otherwise i'll look into returning the phone and waiting. Thanks again!