Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 74 of 74
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottw911 View Post
    One of my buddies took his girlfriend to purchase a new Verizon phone yesterday. He called me, frustrated, having just walked out of the local Verizon company store. He was asking me where the nearest AT&T store was to go buy her an iPhone. Of course, I had to suggest he go somewhere else and check out the Pre. Apparently, the Verizon staff had already soured them on any idea of looking at the Pre. He would "not sell them that junk" because the salespeople are tired of losing their commission when people return the phones to the store.

    The only thing this salesperson seemed to know about the phone was that he can't make money selling it.

    It seems that, besides the Palm hardware issues, Palm has done a terrible job educating another entire mega-sales force. It still seems that end-users don't understand all the nuances of the WebOS and blame their lack of knowledge on bad phone.

    Unless Palm/HP can radically change the mindset of the dirbags selling this hardware to the consumer, WebOS will always be the next Betamax.

    I hate Verizon now, more than ever.
    I'm sorry to hear about that experience and hope it was passed on to someone official.

    I still take a lot of pride in selling more Pre Plus not only in my district, but in my region now!
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Uh, in the very first post in this thread there is NO accusation of lying, but there is frustration at a salesperson steering people away from the Pre. That one's kinda hard to miss, no?
    Actually, I misspoke and meant to say "lying or pushing them away" (as I did later). But the salesman was definitely less than honest:
    He would "not sell them that junk" because the salespeople are tired of losing their commission when people return the phones to the store
    He's saying he won't, you're saying such refusals should be in "quotes" since you seriously doubt the reps would not sell the Pre (even though the OP said the salesman said he won't). Also, they do not lose their commission when people return the phone, unless they cancel their plan.
  3. #63  
    After having sold the Droid for 6 months now and the Pre for 3 months, I do have a couple things to say.

    I haven't touched my Droid for anything but Google Maps Navigation in 3 months. I absolutely love my Pre ... moreso than any other phone I've ever used. With that said, this is my 4th one. There are quality issues which are not being addressed. However, it doesn't bother me as the Palm Profile has made it a painless experience to switch.

    Pre's get returned like crazy. Usually it's the battery life, which is just abysmal no matter what you do. Other times it's just that people don't want to invest the time and learn it, especially when all of their friends have Droids and have a bigger support system in place. Then there's the apps: I know the Pre has most of what people really use, but it's missing the attention-grabbing apps like NFL Mobile, Skype, Shazam, FiOS DVR and FiOS Remote. I mean, these can be fairly limited purpose, but it causes people to think of it in such a way as to say "can your phone do this?!"

    People are happy with their Droids. Like, majorly happy. It has phenomenal battery life and endless customization and people just do not return them. I have also seen VERY few problems and Droids are just not going through the Tech support lines.

    Like I said, I prefer the Pre and I know I've turned a ton of people onto it that had otherwise not even heard of it, but the fact is that for most people, the Droid creates happier customers and better paychecks.
  4. #64  
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones as my one month old Pre+, which I recently let drop about 3 feet down onto tile, is still showing absolutely no signs of bad hardware.

    One of the things that really irks me is when I here that people are turning their phones in because they "don't know how to use them". Not only should the sales person show them the basics in the store, they should also show them the introduction video and where on Palm to get help, including the help app on the phone. This stuff should be the minimum. Include showing them where the Palm App Catalog application is. If they have email they want set up with the device, do it for them, or show them how if they are technically inclined and would prefer to do it themselves. I would venture that 8 out of 10 "don't know how to use it" returns are because the sales person failed to show them how to use the core functions. Give me 10 minutes with someone and I can show them how to use this phone and all the key functions/apps. It's easy to learn, but it is a paradigm shift, so some people need to have their hands held through the initial learning phase.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones as my one month old Pre+, which I recently let drop about 3 feet down onto tile, is still showing absolutely no signs of bad hardware.

    One of the things that really irks me is when I here that people are turning their phones in because they "don't know how to use them". Not only should the sales person show them the basics in the store, they should also show them the introduction video and where on Palm to get help, including the help app on the phone. This stuff should be the minimum. Include showing them where the Palm App Catalog application is. If they have email they want set up with the device, do it for them, or show them how if they are technically inclined and would prefer to do it themselves. I would venture that 8 out of 10 "don't know how to use it" returns are because the sales person failed to show them how to use the core functions. Give me 10 minutes with someone and I can show them how to use this phone and all the key functions/apps. It's easy to learn, but it is a paradigm shift, so some people need to have their hands held through the initial learning phase.
    In an ideal world, completely setting everyone up would be fantastic. But just bear in mind that it's most likely been 10-20 minutes just in deciding which phone to do, 5-7 minutes discussing plan/accessory options, 7-8 minutes in systems work to get the thing activated, 5 minutes setting up the Palm Profile, 3 minutes transferring contact lists, then showing them the basics in terms of making/receiving phone calls.

    Keep in mind that there are 3-10 people waiting in line giving you the death glare because they want help yesterday and you have a challenging quota that means that, unfortunately, you really can't spend that much time with this (not even the time you've already spent, really).

    In a slower store, this may be possible, but not in a typical Verizon store.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    Error-free software is NOT possible; rock-solid hardware is.
    Ok, I do agree with you there. But at least on the hardware front, the Pre is not lagging behind much of competition, including the iPhone. I have an early Pre, and I don't have any of the cracks or other issues that others experience (except for that damn headset jack). But I am careful with my phone, it's never been dropped, and always kept in that sleeve that it came with. But the latest version of WebOS is just awful. I've always been relatively happy with my pre, until 1.4 was released. Since then, I've been missing calls and texts with no warning or alert, having random reboots, music player constantly crashing and rebooting the phone, random inexplicable battery drains, etc. Those are all issues with buggy software, running on top of decent hardware.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by mike2128 View Post
    In an ideal world, completely setting everyone up would be fantastic. But just bear in mind that it's most likely been 10-20 minutes just in deciding which phone to do, 5-7 minutes discussing plan/accessory options, 7-8 minutes in systems work to get the thing activated, 5 minutes setting up the Palm Profile, 3 minutes transferring contact lists, then showing them the basics in terms of making/receiving phone calls.

    Keep in mind that there are 3-10 people waiting in line giving you the death glare because they want help yesterday and you have a challenging quota that means that, unfortunately, you really can't spend that much time with this (not even the time you've already spent, really).

    In a slower store, this may be possible, but not in a typical Verizon store.
    And herein lies the biggest problem with big red. I was an Alltel customer and they had a series of bar tables where you would sit adjacent to your sales rep while they put information in and went over the phone with you. Even when they had other customers they would let them know they would be with them in a little bit and would continue with you until you were ready to leave the store.

    When I went to Verizon, it was like being at the local Best Buy where everything is rushed and your on the other side of a standard sales counter. I think Verizon could do themselves a favor by slowing down a little and making sure that each customer gets there due diligence.

    I really find it hard to believe that, barring hardware/software issues, that people would want to return this phone if they were shown how easy it is to do everything with it. There's a reason, after all, they had initial interest. I realize not everyone will be the same, and not everyone will be happy with this phone. But it all starts with them being taught how to use it, or at least directed to a place where they should go for information before they leave the store.

    All IMHO, of course.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    Ok, I do agree with you there. But at least on the hardware front, the Pre is not lagging behind much of competition, including the iPhone. I have an early Pre, and I don't have any of the cracks or other issues that others experience (except for that damn headset jack). But I am careful with my phone, it's never been dropped, and always kept in that sleeve that it came with. But the latest version of WebOS is just awful. I've always been relatively happy with my pre, until 1.4 was released. Since then, I've been missing calls and texts with no warning or alert, having random reboots, music player constantly crashing and rebooting the phone, random inexplicable battery drains, etc. Those are all issues with buggy software, running on top of decent hardware.
    Me too. Hardware on my Pre+ is solid, never had any issue. But the software cause few problems. Just like you said, music player constantly crashing and rebooting, my gtalk can't login and sometime my battery just drains without no good reason and few other stuffs.

    But I am sticking with my Pre because of the value I am getting. I bought it for $50 but then again I get $20 refund after they reduced the price. And I got free legal mobile hotspot. But I am not recommend this device to my wife, she is getting Android, probably Incredible, she's waiting because it's out of stock.

    WebOS is not the best mobile OS in the market. How can you call something it's not complete, I feel like this is beta version. This is great OS, has great potential, it's quite shame that Palm couldn't make the quality product with great idea. Hopely HP have better control on quality issue.

    I was thinking about getting Ipad but after I heard HP is making tablet using WebOS, I am waiting for that device.
  9. #69  
    Welcome to the only U.S. network launching the Pre 2.
  10. #70  
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  11. #71  
    Can't stress enough to stay out of the B&M carrier stores unless you KNOW it's a good store. My dad had a great experience at the Verizon store the one time he ever went to an actual Verizon-only store. And to the person comparing to Best Buy, I've never been to a Best Buy store that I haven't had a good experience. Local management means YMMV when it comes to B&M stores and I've never seen anything like what some of the haters have described at Best Buy. As for Verizon, I deal mostly with their phone reps and also have never had problems with them, they've always been extremely helpful and accommodating to try and solve any issues.
  12. Speebs's Avatar
    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #72  
    Question... why is it that when a phone is returned (through no fault of the sales rep), the rep loses the sale? That doesn't make any sense to me and only encourages this type of behavior.
  13. #73  
    Another zombie thread comes aliiiiive
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Another zombie thread comes aliiiiive
    Hence my "" in my previous post haha
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions