Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Being older than most of you. I used a book to figure out my Pre. "How to Do Everything-Palm Pre. It told me about this site. I have not patched my phone at all. Just don't feel the need to and I am totally happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Where was this leaked? I must have missed this. I sure hope they do, but I still have this gnawing feeling that Palm and Sprint have parted ways...
    I'm curious, what would make you believe that Sprint and Palm are "parting ways". I think Sprint is fully aware that there are Palm users who will switch carriers before they leave WebOS. I can't imagine Sprint ebracing the idea of losing more users.
    I wouldn't be supprised if we see pre + / pixie + on Sprint in July followed by new device(s) in the fall.
    Palm is forcing me to get a Samsung Epic.
    That monster will sell millions of phones.
    Its exactly what I had hoped that Palm would release except its Android.
    Its extremely disappointing that Palm dropped the ball .
    This is a time sensitive business.
    After one year any design is old and stale and Sprint owners can replace their phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm curious, what would make you believe that Sprint and Palm are "parting ways". I think Sprint is fully aware that there are Palm users who will switch carriers before they leave WebOS. I can't imagine Sprint ebracing the idea of losing more users.
    Nothing official of course, just my gut feeling. Here is my short list:

• Sprint blaming Palm for the failed launch of the Pre (and all the press around that lack of inventory, poor build quality, etc.). Not a great way to keep "friendly" with a manufacturer.
    • Nothing announced at the anniversary for Palm Pre first day buyers, only option was EVO.
    • The price of Sprint Pre is still $149.99 yet the hardware is spec'd below what is going on VZW and AT&T for a much cheaper price. Why keep the price so high? Especially if a new device is going to be coming to replace it? The only reason would be to drive people to the EVO.
    • If Sprint were getting ready to launch a new webOS phone, it would seem that they would be dropping the price of the Pre, not maintaining a high price. Even if that phone were just the Pre+, it would seem prudent to drop the price of the Pre to clear out inventory.

Again, these are just my personal thoughts. I might be on the money, or we may see 3 new devices announced for Sprint tomorrow!!

I will be the first to say "I'm wrong!" if that does happen. Honestly, I hope I get to say "I'm wrong!".
    Quote Originally Posted by JimOhara View Post
    Being older than most of you. I used a book to figure out my Pre. "How to Do Everything-Palm Pre. It told me about this site. I have not patched my phone at all. Just don't feel the need to and I am totally happy with it.
    I just want to tell you which Patches I use, and let me now if you think it would be something you would like on your Pre.

The ones I have installed and like best are:

-Time & Date stamp on each text that comes in and out.
    -Phone Call duration
    -Battery Percentage Remaining always displayed at top right on screen.
    -An icon that shows when your Volume Off switch is in use.
    -Date always displayed at top-middle of screen.
    -5x4 Icons on launcher pages, instead of 3x3 (or is stock 3x4?). You don't need such big icons. Too much scrolling.
    -Roam only Option along with Media Volume, GPS on/off, and Flashlight on/off all in the Device menu (the menu that comes up when you swipe the top right of the screen when apps are minimized).
    -Landscape Email and Text Messaging.
    -Touch Screen Keyboard!!! The one and only!!
    -LED on/off option for Video Camera.
    -Flashlight App (I'm not sure if the App catalog has an app for this, but I have 3 Flashlight Apps, all having different features.
    -Landscape YouTube
    -Swipe to delete videos and music instead of having to plug your phone in to the computer to delete.

I have many more, but I just wanted to tell you which ones I really liked the most. Like I stated in the first post, i wish the Pre came with Preware already installed so people can get these Patches a lot easier.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.

• Sprint blaming Palm for the failed launch of the Pre (and all the press around that lack of inventory, poor build quality, etc.). Not a great way to keep "friendly" with a manufacturer.
    • Nothing announced at the anniversary for Palm Pre first day buyers, only option was EVO.
    • The price of Sprint Pre is still $149.99 yet the hardware is spec'd below what is going on VZW and AT&T for a much cheaper price. Why keep the price so high? Especially if a new device is going to be coming to replace it? The only reason would be to drive people to the EVO.
    • If Sprint were getting ready to launch a new webOS phone, it would seem that they would be dropping the price of the Pre, not maintaining a high price. Even if that phone were just the Pre+, it would seem prudent to drop the price of the Pre to clear out inventory.
    I think that much of this has been pure posturing on Sprint's part. They've just been telegraphing to HP/Palm that they'd like the next device launch to go a bit smoother. The pricing, I think, is merely to get what they can with whatever inventory they have left, and that they'll dump their remaining inventory once the new device is released.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8. Evansgw
    The good thing about Radio Shack stopping selling Pres is that the touchstone is now $15.97... for the kit. Bargain. I wanted to get two, but one was empty... I live in Baltimore and shop lifting is the norm!

Again, these are just my personal thoughts. I might be on the money, or we may see 3 new devices announced for Sprint tomorrow!!

I will be the first to say "I'm wrong!" if that does happen. Honestly, I hope I get to say "I'm wrong!".
    • "Blame Game" also happened with Verizon, so I don't think that one is a biggie. Has to be blamed on something, and no one likes saying "we screwed up".
    • There was really nothing to announce except the possibility of the Pre/Pix Plus, and I suspect they have a little too much inventory to be willing to jump into a new purchase agreement with Palm.
    • I think Sprint is deliberately keeping the price a bit higher, to avoid running out of inventory before they are ready.
    • I suspect they will only go with the Plus models when their inventory is so low that they have to. I also suspect they would rather that time happen closer to Palm's announcement of a new device, so they don't have to purchase the "old model".

Just my thoughts, but the over-riding one, to me, is that Sprint can't afford to run off more customers, and I suspect they know that they will if the drop the Palm line.
    I was browsing in a Best Buy today, and no Palms were in sight: I was told that Best Buy has given up and has stopped selling the Pre and Pixi.
    Don't sweat it. There will be Palms again when there is new hardware. They're not going to waste shelf space on something that isn't selling.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Kinda saw that one coming, considering the fire-sales they've been having on pre accessories.

I'm not sure I would even want them selling whatever new Palm device comes out, as crappy as their sales support was for the Pre/Pixi.
    Kind of surprising since 6 months ago they were still pushing the Palm Treo Pro at my Best Buy for AT&T.
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
    <<Threads merged>>
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    What clinches it for me is that the Touchstone is being sold for under $20. I paid the list price, $70, on the assumption that I'd be able to use it even if I changed phones -- i.e., that the Touchstone would be good on the next generation hardware. I understand dumping the Pre and Pixi for new phones. But getting rid of the Touchstone means that there will not be any new Palm (or HP) phones coming in at all. I gave Palm a try, but I am done. Enough.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Meh. This news is hardly surprising. Sprint is now focusing it's power on 4g smartphones (where it can get an early start as opposed to trying to compete with Verizon and AT&T for 3g smartphones), AT&T has iPhones to sell, and Verizon never cared too much about Palm anyway (though I'm loving my free Mobile Hotspot).

Hopefully Palm can come back again, but this time with the necessary scale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlemagne View Post
    What clinches it for me is that the Touchstone is being sold for under $20. I paid the list price, $70, on the assumption that I'd be able to use it even if I changed phones -- i.e., that the Touchstone would be good on the next generation hardware. I understand dumping the Pre and Pixi for new phones. But getting rid of the Touchstone means that there will not be any new Palm (or HP) phones coming in at all. I gave Palm a try, but I am done. Enough.
    I could be wrong, but the accesories lines in retail stores don't run on future compatibility. They are based on current model sales/support. So if BB isn't selling Pre's or Pixi's any longer in favor of newer devices, the will also clear out any accessory stock associated with Pre or Pixi without any thought that the TS will likely work with future WebOS devices, whether marketed under HP or Palm names.

If and when a new device does come to market and if it is TS compatible, those stores will stock back up and sell them at the retail price again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlemagne View Post

LOL at your mode of reasoning.

You do know Sprint is still selling the Touchstone and Accessories at full price right? So is VZW (unless you buy one of their bundles), same with ATT, etc, etc. The fact that a big box store stops carrying a brand or a version of said brand or item does not say anything about the future of the brand.

I will say that a BigBox or retail store is going to have most likely ZERO knowledge on upcoming release information, their job is to move product, if they no longer carry the device, they are going to start attempting to unload the accessories. The idea of carrying the accessories is to get the bundled with purchase (person comes in to get phone on contract, you sell them $100 in accessories, for the store the profit margin is in accessories). Once that business model is removed it gives the big box retail location no reason to take up space carrying the accessories (this is simple retail marketing).

BTW, as of yesterday VZW stores still have their TS marked at 49.99 (no clearance, no sale tags).
    I just noticed a local Best Buy in MN wasn't displaying any Pre or Pixi phones. About 2 weeks ago they had units from Sprint and Verizon. The staff didn't have any insights into why they didn't have any phones on display or any in stock. Anyone else notice this at other BB stores?
    Yeah, most BB stores drop the Pre and Pixi a long time ago -- at least the Sprint version.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast