Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I had a TON of patches and stuff on my Sprint Pre. 800MHz SuperKernal. It was themed. 50+ patches. Mobile Hotspot. It was AWESOME.

One night, all of a sudden, the functioning of my Pre ground to a halt.

I isolated and discovered it was whenever ANY data was on (Wifi or EVDO) my Pre ground to a halt. I could BARELY accomplish ANYTHING on it.

So I ran WebOS Repair. No help.

Ran WebOS Repair and turned on the feature that deletes all your patches and themes (slowly rips heart of out chest)...

And the problem persists.

So now I essentially have a stock Pre with this RIDICULOUS problem of not being able to use data.

Any suggestions?
    did u ever cleaned ur browser cache and history and stuff? go in to browser then in to prefernce and clean history cache and cookies try that.
    I had almost similar problem. My pre hang and unresponsive with the lcd back light on in a bright back screen few minutes after i'm using the data frequently.

i'd like to think the delete cookies n stuff help to settle the problem. It's been 1+ hr since then n the pre still running.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllOut007 View Post
    I had a TON of patches and stuff on my Sprint Pre. 800MHz SuperKernal. It was themed. 50+ patches. Mobile Hotspot. It was AWESOME.

One night, all of a sudden, the functioning of my Pre ground to a halt.

I isolated and discovered it was whenever ANY data was on (Wifi or EVDO) my Pre ground to a halt. I could BARELY accomplish ANYTHING on it.

So I ran WebOS Repair. No help.

Ran WebOS Repair and turned on the feature that deletes all your patches and themes (slowly rips heart of out chest)...

And the problem persists.

So now I essentially have a stock Pre with this RIDICULOUS problem of not being able to use data.

Any suggestions?
    Was it ever that slow? It sounds to me like it's a service running and syncing with something (hence when data is on it happens). Did it ever happen when all of the data was shut off (assuming you had that 'disable EVDO' patch)? I would check all of your syncing services and see what the issue is. Also, download JsTop and see if any services are running an enormous amount of Javascript. It could also be a memory leak with a program you're running a lot.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
    ahem... Spoke too soon. It actually hang again. Everytime it did. I had to do a battery pull to restart it.
    If you're back to stock anyway, doctor it.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Remember to clear everything cache, phone history, convo history, and browser. I had massive slow downs because I had a months worth of txts saved and call history (I stay on top of these now so I'm not sure if it's still a problem).

Also, check when you have the backup service run. Could be trying to run but you keep inadvertently killing it.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    I know the answer! Just reinstall the 800 patch!
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    This is the excrutiating turn of events in the past 48 hours...

I tried clearing my browser cache, settings, and all that... no help.

I thought that maybe it was a data program "bogging" it down every time I attempted to turn my data on. The ONLY time my pre was EVER that slow was back around 1.2 when I was first linking my facebook contacts to my Pre. (I have 3400 friends, so it took a pretty big resource hit when Synergized the two.

However whenever I turned on data, whether in the phone preferences menu or WiFi, the slowdown was INSTANT.

I thought about doctoring it, but decided against it. Thought maybe they could do something for me at Sprint.

So I got to Sprint today, talked to them, dropped it off and came back about an hour later. He brought the phone to me and presented it with a Palm Profile login screen. I figured. I mean, between what I'd attempted to do with the device and knowledge, I was thinking doctoring was inevitable.

So for the past hour I've constantly tried to log into my Palm Profile. And every time it fails. "Sign In Failed" "You need to be connected to you wireless service provider's network to sign in. When you are in a location with service, please try again."

So I tried the trick where you create a new Palm Profile, get into WebOS, and then log into the old one from there. (I've played this game before, thisis my 3rd Pre) Again, I got some error where it was unable to connect or some other BS.

I HAVE service. 3 bars with EVDO and "Sprint" in the upper left corner. I've paid my bill. I'm literally getting NOWHERE. I'm calling the Sprint store. And requesting a new Pre.

So I'm sitting with what we all thought was impossible... a "bricked" Pre. I can LITERALLY do NOTHING on my device... except make 911 calls.

Any suggestions as to how to get back into my phone? I work in a gym as a fitness director and I'm here until late... without a phone. I'd really like at least SOME access to it. Could running WebOS doctor myself work?

Also, anyone have an idea if this is a product of 1.4.1.1?

Thanks.
    Your Pre isn't bricked. If it's inert and you pressed the On/Off switch and it stayed inert... THEN your Pre is bricked.

You should definitely download the most recent webOS doctor available for your device from here and run it. That should help.

If it doesn't, download the 1.2.1 webOS doctor and run that; some rare issues require an overwrite of some driver not present in more recent versions. Then install 1.4.1.1 again. If _THAT_ doesn't help, your phone antenna or modem is probably borked and you should have it replaced on warranty by your Sprint store.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Right right, I know it isn't "bricked".

I'll run WebOS Doctor and see what comes of it. I'm also in the process of working through Sprint Advanced Tech Support.

Edit: So I have my laptop, but left my USB cable at home... FML
    Last edited by AllOut007; 05/10/2010 at 02:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Doctoring worked. I used the most recent version and I had to put my phone into recovery mode, but it definitely worked! I was able to log right into my Palm Profile on the first try!

Lessons learned:
    1) When Sprint "reset" my phone, they didn't do a full WebOS doctoring reset. They did a more surface level one that didn't actually restore everything back to factory fresh conditions. At least, this is what I'm gathering by my problem being remedied when I Doctored it and not when they handed it back to me earlier today.

2) If your Pre is MASSIVELY slower than normal, try turning off data in the phone preferences menu (if you don't have the patch to do it from the system menu). If your Pre peps up, this is probably the problem and you'll have to Doctor it.

3) Palm Tech support is WORTHLESS. I spoke with them for approximately an hour and got NOTHING accomplished other than my phone dying. The second girl I spoke with was even rude. She told me to try logging on with my Palm Profile, which I attempted. Then she told me to try creating a new one, which I did. And when I got an error message, she snarkily said, "Did you do what I asked and choose to create a NEW Palm Profile?" (this was after I had already gone through this once on my own, and once with a lower tier tech support for Palm)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion to WebOS doctor it up. Guess the Pre the Sprint Store ordered for me will head back to Palm!