Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. ok4a56's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,405 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have a POP3 email set up on my Pre. I have it set to show all email. However if I get an email on my phone, open on the phone and then close down the email application so I can view it later on my laptop, when I log into my laptop the email is gone. I will then look on the phone and the email is gone on the phone as well.

    Any idea what is going on and why this is doing this? I have only had my phone for 2 days and still trying to get use to the thing.


    Thanks
  2. #2  
    several. Probably have your clients configed to only download/view unread. Also you need to have it set to leave a copy on the server.
  3. ok4a56's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,405 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    several. Probably have your clients configed to only download/view unread. Also you need to have it set to leave a copy on the server.
    Thanks, you where correct. Not needing that before with my blackberry I have changed it.
  4. Jimbode's Avatar
    Posts
    424 Posts
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    #4  
    Stop using the POP3 servers and use the IMAP servers, then any time you check your e-mail, read and un-read states of e-mails will be the same where ever.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbode View Post
    Stop using the POP3 servers and use the IMAP servers, then any time you check your e-mail, read and un-read states of e-mails will be the same where ever.
    If you have IMAP, I guess you aren't able to delete the messages off of your phone without also deleting the messages on your server? I have Gmail, and I have it set up on my laptop and desktop as a POP3 accounts. I leave gmail.com alone, never deleting emails. Is there a way to have IMAP and delete on the phone without deleting the server?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    If you have IMAP, I guess you aren't able to delete the messages off of your phone without also deleting the messages on your server? I have Gmail, and I have it set up on my laptop and desktop as a POP3 accounts. I leave gmail.com alone, never deleting emails. Is there a way to have IMAP and delete on the phone without deleting the server?
    No, but you can set the length of time to show emails on your phone. I have my phone only show emails for the past 2 weeks. That keeps the number down.

    Also, keep in mind, only the header information is shown, unless you read the email, then the entire message is pulled down.
  7. Jimbode's Avatar
    Posts
    424 Posts
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    #7  
    You need to think about e-mail differently with IMAP. I have my main e-mail on a server, the state of the e-mails on that server is the same no matter what "window" I use to look at them with, be that "window" my phone or any of my computers.

    On my computers I have Thunderbird set up so that any e-mails I need to keep I drag the e-mails to the local folders and sort them that way (maybe a monthly sort). The Thunderbird profile is then stored in my Dropbox, now any computer that has Thunderbird and Dropbox now has access to the local folders. Convoluted I know.

    Now all I need is Thunderbird and Dropbox on my Pre and my world would be (almost) perfect.

Posting Permissions