Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Before I get started I want to state that I am a loyal Palm customer and don't want to do anything to hurt their chances of surviving. I sent an email to Verizon because my GPS has never worked properly. Like many users it works when I open VZ Navigator but who wants to keep having to do that. I have had a couple of Pre +'s due to technical issues and they all had the same problem. I know there are many threads on this subject but I thought I would post this email exchange separately because I did not want it to get lost at the end of 100's of responses.

Here is my email to VZN:

"I have been a customer for a number of years and I have had a data plan for at least three years. I recently upgraded to a Pre Plus and in general I am happy with the phone but the GPS does not get a solid positioning lock. It defaults to the google services method which locates you within a half mile of your location. I do not find that acceptable.

There is a very robust on-line Palm community and the GPS issue is a well known technical deficiency. The users have found a work around where if you start to launch the VZ Navigator (while not actually accepting to pay for it) you can get an accurate lock. I purchased the phone and stayed with Verizon with the assumption the GPS would work. I could have done like everyone else that wants cutting edge technology and moved to ATT and the Iphone. Instead I waited through a few software updates hoping it would be fixed.

Now here are the facts. The Sprint version of the phone does not have this issue. Everyone knows that it is restricted to the Verizon phone. In fact, Palm has acknowledged that some carriers (implied Verizon) have disabled functionality that impacts the ability of the GPS to get a lock. See this link to their developer community.

Location Service – Palm Developer Center

Also see this link from the largest on-line community website which discusses this issue at length:

http://www.precentral.net/3rd-party-...-pre-pixi-plus

VZN technical support told me to purchase the VZ Navigator and it will work fine. That to me is not a solution. Please do not respond that you will look into this issue because everyone knows it is a problem. Please update me on what you are going to do to fix it. If you are not going to fix the software so it can work like it should as a stand alone feature, then I think you should provide the VZ Navigator free to those who request it.

Thank you for a response to my concerns."

Here is the response I received from VZN:

"Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. My name is ----, and I regret to learn that you are having difficulties with the use of the GPS functionality on your Palm Pre Plus smartphone since activated on -------and I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you. I certainly understand the importance of being able to use your GPS feature on your smartphone to assist with your travels accurately. I am delighted to assist you with this matter.

Mr. ------, in additional research regarding this issue, I am unable to provide information regarding updates that are being considered or approximate release dates, as this may raise expectations that may not be met.

All third party applications do not have full access to cellular tower-based location functionality and we can not guarantee use and accuracy of third party applications.

I have brought this matter to the attention of our Leadership and Marketing Teams to ensure this issue is specifically viewed. I hope we can restore your confidence in Verizon Wireless and prove that we are worthy of your continued business.

We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail."

It seems to me that she is not denying there is a problem unlike the standard response typically provided by VZN. I thought this was interesting.
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
    Very interesting.

But the rep is not going to keep you updated with an ETA on a resolution? Wonder if we have any Verizon techies haunting the forum who are allowed to share any inside insights?
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    "All third party applications do not have full access to cellular tower-based location functionality and we can not guarantee use and accuracy of third party applications."

That seems to be a strange statement. The letter was asking about GPS which has nothing to do with the cellular tower. If the question had been about Google Services, perhaps the statement would have made sense.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by japark View Post
    "All third party applications do not have full access to cellular tower-based location functionality and we can not guarantee use and accuracy of third party applications."

That seems to be a strange statement. The letter was asking about GPS which has nothing to do with the cellular tower. If the question had been about Google Services, perhaps the statement would have made sense.
    the phones actually use aGPS which uses the cell towers to aid in finding a gps location faster. So the rep's statement is relavent.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speci...ch?search=agps
    the cell tower comment is referring tp aGPS (assisted gps) which is discussed in depth in about a dozen other threads.

search is a powerful tool.
  6.    #6  
    I realize this has been discussed at length but unless I missed something I did not see anything where VZN was actully acknowledging there was a problem. I saw the post on precentral and in fact that was one of my links to VZN. I was merely posting because it appears to me they know there is a problem and they are not going to do anything about it unless enough people speak up.

Lastly I acknowledged in my opening that there are many threads on the subject. I was not posting to comment on the GPS but more that VZN acknowldged there is a problem. I did not get the canned response many others have received.
    Last edited by compo; 05/08/2010 at 10:17 PM.
    the fact is that 'verizon acknowlwdges' is well covered, including the gps article on the precentral hhome page. I', going to add it to my signature.

and you will also find threads where sprint users say their gps doesn't work either.

I hope palm just starts bundlin.g in a garmin with every phone. Everyone would be happier...

they just passed a law that it's ille to text while driving. How is that any worse than trying to look at a phone for driving directios?

anyone that needs world class gps on their phone should by an iphone!
    and if you want to solve the gps issue. You will find a workaound here:

http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-...ed-cached.html
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3925 View Post
    the phones actually use aGPS which uses the cell towers to aid in finding a gps location faster. So the rep's statement is relavent.

agps
    Thanks for the information.

Silly of me to think that GPS really meant GPS. You learn something every day.
    Thats crappy another reason why I hate Verizion because there customers are nothing but a number and don't mean crap to them.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    search is a powerful tool.
    This is probably the most worn out line of the year... Not everyone is familiar with the search tool that most forums have... The search is only as good as the keywords used and the titles that are being searched...
    search 'verizon gps' and let us know how many dozen pop up. Amazingly you will even see that spint users have gps issues...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the fact is that 'verizon acknowlwdges' is well covered, including the gps article on the precentral hhome page. I', going to add it to my signature.

and you will also find threads where sprint users say their gps doesn't work either.

I hope palm just starts bundlin.g in a garmin with every phone. Everyone would be happier...

they just passed a law that it's ille to text while driving. How is that any worse than trying to look at a phone for driving directios?

anyone that needs world class gps on their phone should by an iphone!
    I guess I missed that in the Precentral story. I still don't see where VZN is admitting anything. It says Palm knows about it but where does it mention VZN. Also you get "military" accuracy with the navigator in the background. I do anyway. It puts me on the exact street corner in NY city and moves as I move. Pretty cool.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    i also noticed that the rep's email reply never adressed your comment about getting VZ Navigator free, just totally ignored it.

i'm with sprint, and in my own personal experience, sprint would likely have given you the navigator for free until they fixed the underlying issue

i was with vz for less then a month and came running back to sprint. i have been very lucky in my dealings with their cust service and 'making things right'
    This whole gps/verizon thing is nothing new. They used to do this with blackberries, third party apps couldnt use the gps, only their navigation software was able to.
    Regulation, regulation, regulation!!!
    number of complaints does wonders. After all this months of gps complaints we actually have someone who made a patch to fix it. My only complaint is for anyone who keeps defending verizon that it's not their fault......too bad if will never be approved by palm as official patch.
    I appreciate the effort and your willingness to share this information, compo.

If you ever follow-up with them make sure to let them know that their Android phones have no such gps-restriction on their third-party apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildxconfusion View Post
    number of complaints does wonders. After all this months of gps complaints we actually have someone who made a patch to fix it. My only complaint is for anyone who keeps defending verizon that it's not their fault......too bad if will never be approved by palm as official patch.
    nothing to defend anymore, it was proven that it was verizon doing it.
    Just some points about VZW and GPS:
    My Verizon HTC windows mobile phone has GPS that works very well. My wife's old Verizon Blackberry Tour has GPS that works very well as does her current Droid Incredible.
    I cannot see a reason for VZW to go out of their way to block aGPS on the Palm Pre + while allowing it on phones that are far better sellers or were very inexpensive (my HTC WinMo phone) to begin with. It reminds me of a old quote by Napoleon, "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    I think VZW screwed up here and maybe Palm also. This makes both look bad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast