Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    I sent a response to my earlier email posted here to VZN asking if they advertize full GPS functionality with the Palm Pre Plus and they replied "The Palm Pre Plus is not advertised as having full GPS functionality". They provided a link to their marketing material on their website which lists "Assisted & Standalone GPS" as a capability. I am not an engineer but I assume there is some shade of gray in their response and my question.
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
    pretty sure this is settled, and there is apatch to resolve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    By "a patch" to resolve it, do you mean the one you linked that risks you bricking your phone and is a bit technical for most Pre users? It may work, but a large portion of people aren't going to attempt that "fix" so it's not so much a "fix" as a hack. A true fix would come right from Verizon or Palm and resolve the issue for all people, not just those who are more technically savy.

If there is a different patch to resolve it that you meant, I must've missed it?
    Not settled by a long shot. The patch has not helped my GPS "sleeping" issue and starting VZNav does not always wake the GPS either. There is a bigger problem and just having people say "bad ole VZW dunnit" is not going to help to solve it.

Are there any other current smartphones on VZW that are having similar issues? Or are forced to use VZNav? I don't know of any and I would be curious to find out if there are any. For the record, my HTC WinMo smartphone's GPS worked great, as did my wife's BB Tour and her current Droid Incredible. All of these are on VZW. Seems to be just the Pre+. Are owners of the Pixi+ having GPS issues?
    Last edited by AWChuck; 05/12/2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Missed a word.
    Quote Originally Posted by klemy View Post
    By "a patch" to resolve it, do you mean the one you linked that risks you bricking your phone and is a bit technical for most Pre users? It may work, but a large portion of people aren't going to attempt that "fix" so it's not so much a "fix" as a hack. A true fix would come right from Verizon or Palm and resolve the issue for all people, not just those who are more technically savy.

If there is a different patch to resolve it that you meant, I must've missed it?
    No, the same guy did a new patch specifically for the Pre. I found it to be really amazing. There was a front page article on it because it was an accomplishment in the category of overclocking kernels.

http://www.precentral.net/patch-fix-...eased#comments

That is the article. It has a link to the thread about the patch. Eventually the patch will be in Preware, but when I installed it I used QuickInstall because I didn't want to wait... That thread will update you on how to get it, and you can read posts from those that are reporting back their results.

Enjoy!
    After reading all about all of the GPS issues on Pre + and struggling with the same thing on my Pre + I finally got upset enough to call VZ about this. After explaining the issue to the first person they sent me to a "tech" and while I was on hold waiting for the "tech" I had to sit thru 3 different droid commercials, ironic? Anyhow, this "tech" realized quickly that I was not the average VZ ***** customer and actually told me that this is "NOT A GPS ENABLED PHONE" and that "GPS functionality is being BLOCKED by Verizon" I couldn't believe it, I have read most of the GPS posts on this site and correct me if I am wrong, but no one has actually got them to admit to blocking it have they? I know that some people think that its not a big deal, but when VZ advertises this as a GPS enabled device right on their site and it's not then it is a big deal. In addition to the fact that I got this phone the week it was released on VZ in Feb 2010 and paid $250 for it -$100 mail in rebate now they are less than $50. I love my Pre, but to me this is just another dumb thing that VZ is doing and they actually admitted to it. The other thing is that this "tech" didn't offer me anything, not a Droid, not free contract termination, not even a 30day free trial of their stupid VZNAV.
    If you are referring to the (great) work ebag33 is doing I wouldn't say it is quite resolved despite his efforts so far. The front page article on P|C was a bit premature as far as me and many others are concerned as the patch as seemed hit or miss in its effectiveness. After trying a couple of versions of his patches I actually found my GPS performance to be worse than without it in one instance and not improved in the other. I am glad to hear it has worked for you as well as several other people.

Now I haven't had the time to devote to the QSPT work around to see if it fixes the problem because that is a lot more involved than applying a patch that I shouldn't have to worry about in the first place if Verizon would correct the issue officially in the first place.

As far as the OP's comments, the previous reports of Verizon 'admissions' have been shaky at best so I am glad he shared. A tweet isn't really the definitive word for me. Palms own commentary has been more revealing albeit notable not specifying Verizon directly.

In the end I think we should continue to pressure VZW, people should continue to try the patch from ebag33 to see if it works for them and for the more adventurous to try the more detailed QSPT edits.

-
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Very interesting.

But the rep is not going to keep you updated with an ETA on a resolution? Wonder if we have any Verizon techies haunting the forum who are allowed to share any inside insights?

Wouldn't that be great.
    I have used the Patch and my GPS seems to work better now. I still have to start up VZNav sometimes and just hit decline to wake up the GPS.
    Come on, it's a dead issue. VZ is crippling GPS and we all know it. The evidence is overwhelming. The only thing left to debate is if they'll actually do anything about it. Their customer service reputation has taken a BIG BIG hit in my book.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by 63sprintinsabin View Post
    After reading all about all of the GPS issues on Pre + and struggling with the same thing on my Pre + I finally got upset enough to call VZ about this. After explaining the issue to the first person they sent me to a "tech" and while I was on hold waiting for the "tech" I had to sit thru 3 different droid commercials, ironic? Anyhow, this "tech" realized quickly that I was not the average VZ ***** customer and actually told me that this is "NOT A GPS ENABLED PHONE" and that "GPS functionality is being BLOCKED by Verizon" I couldn't believe it, I have read most of the GPS posts on this site and correct me if I am wrong, but no one has actually got them to admit to blocking it have they? I know that some people think that its not a big deal, but when VZ advertises this as a GPS enabled device right on their site and it's not then it is a big deal. In addition to the fact that I got this phone the week it was released on VZ in Feb 2010 and paid $250 for it -$100 mail in rebate now they are less than $50. I love my Pre, but to me this is just another dumb thing that VZ is doing and they actually admitted to it. The other thing is that this "tech" didn't offer me anything, not a Droid, not free contract termination, not even a 30day free trial of their stupid VZNAV.
    When I start to launch VZ Navigator on my phone it references a free 30 day trail period if you sign on before 6/30. It tells you to go to their website for more details. I never did it because then I would have to remember to cancel.
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
    Now this works for me, but if you apply the GPS patch from Preware and then start VZNav and exit it, it seems to wakeup the GPS and then GPS works fine.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12