1.    #1  
    I've been with Verizon for years. Centro for two years. Want Pre plus. Don't want to email/surf with phone.

Customer care tells me, "actually need data package for phone to work". Cant' get phone if I don't.

B*** s*** or fact?

Thanks,

mcgraw
    You need data to activate the phone and palm profile
    Pre is pretty much useless without data services.
    true, They wont sell or activate the new generation of smartphones (android, pre, etc) without a data plan. But, before you panic, recognize that it may not cost you any more. Their data plan structure has changed, and the new prices were actually less for my Pre+, because I was using my Centro for tethering.

If your Centro was only on a voice plan (no data, email, anything) then it may cost more. However, the new smartphones are constantly connected to the internet, even during the activation process. There is no smartphone in this generation that can be purchased without a data plan. If you could, it would still make connections and you'd be paying through the nose for every bit of it.

That's why Boost Mobile and Sprint are offering plans that have all that stuff bundled in.

You can turn the data plan off on a centro (I even talked them in to doing it on a blackberry once, but they wont do that now) but you cant turn it off on a Pre, Android, etc. Sorry.
    As others have stated yes you have to have the data package. I just upgraded to the Pre Plus on Verizon 3 weeks ago. I will say however I had a feature phone before this with the internet package etc and I was worried about the price difference. I had a positive note as with the changes Verizon has made to the plans after all was said and done I ended saving 10 dollars a month with the new plan even with the data package.

It may not be as bad as you think. Good luck.
  6.    #6  
    Thank all for your replies.

I didn't realize smartphones were constantly connected to the internet. I believed it was activated via cell tower. I thought IF you wanted email and web, you could have it.

Just wanted a new phone for phone and contacts/calendar.

Verizon is selling the Pre Plus to me for free with new every two.

mcgraw
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Pre is pretty much useless without data services.
    I disagree. I believe you can even install some apps from wosqi and it would still have wifi for limited internet.

I understand the price heavily subsidized anticipating a data plan, but if I just wanted a voice plan, I would rather buy a second hand pre off ebay for around $150 and pay month to month then get a crappy dumbphone on a 2 year contract for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfroelich View Post
    I disagree. I believe you can even install some apps from wosqi and it would still have wifi for limited internet.

I understand the price heavily subsidized anticipating a data plan, but if I just wanted a voice plan, I would rather buy a second hand pre off ebay for around $150 and pay month to month then get a crappy dumbphone on a 2 year contract for free.
    that might be true once you get past initial activation. But vz won't sell it to you without the data plan. You would have to get it from someone that already activated. Then you could serf via wifi. If you called vz to have the phone activated, they wouldn't do it unless you have a data plan.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    If it works anything like Sprint, their system will not allow you to have the phone on there without a data plan. Regardless of whether it is activated already or not.
    Non-smartphones have calendars, too, if that's what you're really needing. My old flip dumbphone (two phones ago) had a calendar, alarm clock, contacts, etc. - also had Web browsing, which was so slow, but that's back when unlimited data was a $10/mo. add-on.

Personally, I don't know why you wouldn't want to have data, but to each his own.
    Verizon is like sprint in the fact that the moment a smartphone esn is registered to a phone number the 30 dollar data package is automatically put on by the computer and there is no way to take it off.
    If someone doesn't want to use a smartphone for what they're designed to do - i.e. email, Internet - then why the heck are they bothering shopping for smartphones?!? It's like dating a Victoria's Secret model but not wanting to have sex with her or call all your friends to taunt them about how hot your g/f is.
    I have data, but understand where he's coming from. He wants to use the pre as a pda with wifi. Kind of like an ipd touch, but with webos and a built in phone.
    he can do that once it is setup and the turn off the phone. There is a developer bypass he can use to set it up with no phone service.
    this is why cdma sucks. He could of put a sim card in, and disabled data.
    i can completly see where hes coming from, it still has wifi. thats like saying an ipod touch is completly worthless. some people are in the situation of "do i want i dumbphone that is boring all the time or do i want a sweet smartphone that i will not be able to fully take advantage of" id take the limited smartphone anyday.

i was looking at dumbphones for my girlfriend and let me tell you, its slim pickings out there if you cannot purchase a data plan. she is about to end up with a ****ing pantech this saddens me deeply.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Can't you put the data plan thats 1.99 per mb then once you have the phone set up just turn off the data connection? Thats why i used to do with my last phone.
    Welcome to our world, we are the wasted youth, and we are the future too.
    http://diegoeatspandas.tumblr.com/ <--Tumblr<3 Follow.
    plans are different now. You can't have voice without data. But you can turn them both off and still use wifi. More info on this here:

http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-tips-information-resources/221385-cross-platform-meta-doctor-guide-bypass-carrier-activation-etc.html
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/09/2010 at 03:33 AM.