1.    #1  
    It's understandable that the mobile hotspot speed depends on area and connection but everywhere I am in the bay area it is really freaking slow. I think using my iPad speedtest I was getting 200k a sec, that seems slow to me. Is there anything that I can do to speed up the hotspots connection? Another reason why I went for the iPad wifi instead of the 3G is this feature, hopefully I can get it going faster!
    search the threads. this is probably more an issue with the iPad. lots of threads already started on this topic. you should also try connecting with a laptop to demonstrate that the hotspot itself is delivering stong bandwidth.
  3.    #3  
    seems to be i guess. my macbook clocked in at 600kb, not bad? what should i expect?
    I get about 1.2mb down and about 300k up most of the time. You should try it in different locations because signal stregth may contribute. But you should get 1gb at least some of the time...
    I'm averaging ~1400 kbps down and ~500 up using an iPad.
    It definitely depends on location. 5 bars does not always mean great 3G. it all depends on the tower capacity. At my house I always got 200 to 400 Kbs and at work 1.2 to 1.6 Mbs when my ipad or macbook is connected. It's the same speed my phone gets when I use the mobile browser. However, I was able to boost my speeds at home from 200 to 400 Kbs to 500 to 700 kbs using MHS, by just moving the phone to a window sill with the back of the phone leaning up against the window.
    I live in an area that seems to have pretty good 3G coverage. What's really strange is that I can get 600kbps up but only 167kbps down on my Ipad. Any suggestions on what I can do.
    Thanks,
    Ellen
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerpa View Post
    I live in an area that seems to have pretty good 3G coverage. What's really strange is that I can get 600kbps up but only 167kbps down on my Ipad. Any suggestions on what I can do.
    Thanks,
    Ellen
    Try putting your palm up against a window with the back facing outside. I know it sounds weird, but I increased my download speeds at home by 200 Kbs to 500 to 700 Kbs by doing that. I also had higher upload speeds on my ipad but now at home download is faster, and much faster at work where the capacity of the towers is much higher. Not all 3G towers are created equal.