Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Let's put together a list of our favorite basic patches still not yet in webOS. By basic, I mean something that is just a feature or an option that webOS should include that other phones already have. And, hey, why don't you drop a note to palm directly: www.palm.com/feedback.

Here are 31 basic patches could be added almost as-is to webOS. They are for the most part just missing options and do not require added clock cycles and should not cause any extra battery drain.
    • Browser: Option to Send Link with Messaging.
    • Browser: Change Number of Bookmarks to 100 bookmarks - missing capability.
    • Calendar: All-Day Events in Month View (just a missing feature)
    • Calendar: More Reminder Alarm Times options
    • Calendar: Snooze Duration Selection (just a missing feature)
    • Calendar: Wrap Location Field (just a missing feature)
    • Camera: Improved Filename Format - as "PRE_YYYY-MM-DD-hhmmss.jpg" instead of a serial number.
    • Camera: Sound Toggle - Green - adds a green shutter sound On/Off button.
    • Clock: Alarm Daily Options
    • Clock: Enable hidden clock option
    • Contacts: Additional Contact Number Options - adds the phone labels webOS is missing!
    • Contacts: Swipe to Delete - add Swipe to Delete in Contact List
    • Email: Additional Days for Syncing Mail - sync back months or even a year!
    • Email: Add more sync time options
    • Email: Delete From Notification - Adds a delete button to the Email Notification.
    • Email: Send All Contacts via Email - Missing backup option: Facebook, Palm Contacts,etc.
    • Messaging: Character counter (no reason not to have it)
    • Messaging: Message Signature Option to automatically add your Greeting or Signature (like "-Joe")
    • Messaging: SMS Tone Per Contract options
    • Mojo: Faster Card Animations default to the 2x one. Slow motion is only fun for replays.
    • Music Player: Ignore 'A', 'An', and 'The' in Artist and Album Names - so it sorts correctly.
    • Music Player: Swipe to Delete Music
    • PDF Viewer: Prevent Removal - corrects error that lets user delete PDF Viewer app.
    • Phone: Call Duration in Call Log (just a missing feature)
    • Phone: Call History During Call (just a missing feature)
    • Phone: Match State to Area Code - look up state if no Contact or Caller ID name
    • Topbar: Brightness in Device Menu - Add Brightness Control to Top Bar Device Menu
    • YouTube: Copy URL (link) to Clipboard - to paste in email/message. (missing feature)
    • YouTube: Hyperlinks in Descriptions -enables URL (links) in YouTube descriptions
    • Video Player: Video Download - Save a video on your phone. (missing feature)
    • Video Player: Swipe to Delete Videos - This will add the ability to swipe to delete videos.

Some basic patches would need to be turned into options to be added to webOS:
    • App Launcher: 4x4, 5x4 icon options
    • Calculator: Vibration/haptic feedback option
    • Calendar: Default to Month View
    • Calendar: Default to Week View
    • Calendar: Notification Repeat Options
    • Calendar: Alarm Daily Options - Set alarm times for each day of the week.
    • Contacts: Vibration/haptic feedback option
    • Email: Disable LED notification for emails - but still blinks for missed calls & messages.
    • Email: Vibration/haptic feedback option
    • Email: Notification Repeat
    • Mojo: Faster Card Animations - 2x, 4x, and no animation at all! - Freaky fast!
    • Mojo: More Autoreplace Words options
    • Mojo: Reduce Drag Radius to 8px, 10px, or 15px - options for better drag response.
    • Mojo: Virtual (On Screen) Keyboard - works in portrait or landscape modes
    • Phone: Dialpad Tones Off Option
    • Phone: Notification Repeat options
    • Phone: Vibration/haptic feedback option
    • Topbar: Add Date options
    • Topbar: Add Brightness slider option
    • Topbar: Battery Percent (Icon, %, both, or none options)
    • and 100 other options we have had on other phones

Probably the biggest patch of all is the Music Player (Remix) app. It gives you back a dozen key features that the Treo 600 had in 2003. To this day Palm will not allow it to even be in the Palm Catalog...but we have it!

So far, Palm has only adopted 5 of the that users have created. Palm could take 20 of best patches at a time and have a gigantic release every month for a year.

What other basic patches should be added to this list?

- Craig

For more on patches see: http://www.precentral.net/theres-patch
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/10/2010 at 01:08 PM.
    We need a patch that allows volume controls to be distinct for each app. That's how PalmOS works...

It drives me crazy that changing the speaker volume on a call will also change the ringer volume, alarm volume, etc. I still can't quite imagine what Palm was thinking in not having that in WebOS 1.0

I also think that being able to change themes should be a high priority. It's a competitive differentiator, and something that everyone (even my non-tech friends) have a tendancy to do (like changing greeting and wallpaper on dumb-phones)...
    4x3, add delete pages (even the iphone has this!), no auto off while charging,call durarion, call history, close slider to end calls, hide quick launch bar in launcher....basic common sense improvents...palm simply isn't listening
    Delete From Notifications
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Delete From Notifications
    +128
    Turn off screen on TouchStone.

It would be great to see WebOS 1.5 include all of the above patches.
    I would like to have the center button be a back button as well... minor, but I'd ike it... sometimes the swipe isn't recognized.
    How could you say "patches that are missing from the Pre" when they are obviously in patch form and are available from Preware? I would rather Palm not waist there time on adding in something already made available by means of there openness, they should be working on more important stuff like making the system smoother and more reliable for phone and data and possibly adding features they feel would bring in more revenue like business applications.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    because 99% (making that up) of pre users don't patch and will return the phone when they see how vanilla it is
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    How could you say "patches that are missing from the Pre" when they are obviously in patch form and are available from Preware? I would rather Palm not waist there time on adding in something already made available by means of there openness, they should be working on more important stuff like making the system smoother and more reliable for phone and data and possibly adding features they feel would bring in more revenue like business applications.
    I think the point is that the phone should have them already on the phone because many people wouldn't have the ability in using homebrew, and probably wouldn't have the chance to even find PreCentral.net before returning the phone and getting a Droid.

If Preware was preinstalled, and if Verizon reps actually knew enough to tell customers about such things, it might be different.

It makes sense that the patches that make up serious deficiencies in the Palm, and those that make it friendlier be included in the stock device... to me that means any function found in PalmOS or common across most phones should be part of the core OS. For example, being able to specify how long to snooze before next notification (Palm, really?), separate volume controls, voice dialing, etc...

Palm doesn't have to "waste time" to do that other than some additional QA, because homebrew stuff is licensed so they can use it without reinventing the wheel.

I strongly support the idea that Palm should include 4 or 5 of these with every major release of WebOS they publish...

Same thing is true for changing themes. Every phone owner would want to do that, and it should be something a non-technical user can do.

IMHO
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/08/2010 at 02:15 PM.
    I would like a "quick text" patch. Like with the Treos, you can have a list of frequently used text messages saved to u could quickly insert the message into you text.

ET
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    With such a fledgling OS, Palm should have been pumping out updates that replicated patch functionality from the very beginning. Their motto should have been "add now, cut/delete/remove later" and that would have been that.
    Call record and other stuff the Treo does!
    Same basic features as my old Treo. 1.) Categories for contacts (I have more than 1,000 contacts to thumb thru). 2.) Categories for calendar events (home vs. work vs. kids) 3. Re-occurring celendar events.
    Voice dialing, Named Pages, Gesture Tap for Info & Delete (makes organizing apps a breeze), too many to list all!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Voice dialing, Named Pages, Gesture Tap for Info & Delete (makes organizing apps a breeze), too many to list all!
    The OP was about existing patches that can be added in to WebOS, not missing features you wish someone would develop... there are a bunch of other threads that focus on missing features...

...just sayin'
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    +1 ... on these:
    • Messaging: SMS Tone Per Contact options
    • Topbar: Add Date options

and ...
    camera: improved photo naming
    Quote Originally Posted by JRoseman View Post
    Same basic features as my old Treo. 1.) Categories for contacts (I have more than 1,000 contacts to thumb thru). 2.) Categories for calendar events (home vs. work vs. kids) 3. Re-occurring celendar events.
    1. I use the company field and then search for that. You can enter 'friends' there, and Universal Search will give you your friends as fast as you can type 'frie'.
    2. Have different calendars, the calendar app shows them all to you at the same time. I have work, university, family and friends calendars. All displayed in a different color for better overview.
    3. webOS fully supports reoccurring events in calendars and lets you choose how they're supposed to reoccur. Have you ever used a Pre or Pixi?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The OP was about existing patches that can be added in to WebOS, not missing features you wish someone would develop... there are a bunch of other threads that focus on missing features...

...just sayin'
    named launcher pages and gesture tap for info and delete ARE existing patches available from Preware now. Just a heads-up
    The one where the LED is on while video recording.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast