Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    We now have a list of 30 patches that for the most part just add missing options to menus. They do not take clock cycles and would not use any additional battery power.

Are there any others that are just basic features?

- Craig
    I really miss my Keycaps.

KeyCaps650 (and its equivalent for the Treo 600, KeyCaps600) allows you to easily capitalize letters, or use punctuation without uisng the shift or option keys on your keyboard. Itís very easy to set up and painless to use.

KeyCaps is free to download, and is donationware.

All you did was Hold down a key for caps and double click a key for symbols. SOOO great..

I will donate big!

Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 800W -> Launch Day Pre (RIP 08/13/10) -> Replacement PRE
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    I would like to see a patch that allows me to swipe to delete PDFs from the viewer. I have several schedule remakes that I get on a somewhat regular basis. I need to hold on to the most current ones, and the only way I have found to delete is to tether USB to a PC???? Am I missing a different way to get rid of these?
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    bookmarks in the music player for audiobooks
    Filter contacts view from "all" contacts to a particular source (like Google, Yahoo, Facebook).
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    There are a lot of patches that fix things that were obviously missing, but I have never understood not including landscape email from the start.
    Wow, I beelieve everyone has said it all... When I think of any I'll let you know.
    All the combined features from the older Palm phones that are missing from the Pre. I will start with that.....
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by phillysdon04 View Post
    All the combined features from the older Palm phones that are missing from the Pre. I will start with that.....
    That is really the sad part. Almost every patch goes back to a basic option or feature we had in our Treos.

- Craig
    if it was even remotely possible, bluetooth file exchange.....
    date in top bar, gps toggle in device menu
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    We now have a list of 30 patches that for the most part just add missing options to menus. They do not take clock cycles and would not use any additional battery power.

Are there any others that are just basic features?

- Craig
    Hi Craig, nice thread! I would think that Jason's patches for more friendly/usable filenames of picture & movie files would be a "can't miss" item for incorporation in future versions of WebOS. The current naming problems really get "exposed" when you send picture/video files to friends & family (or business partners) as file attachments. JMHO.
    I could be going out on a limb here but, I think (probably) the most used app in any smart phone (besides the phone itself) is the calendar. Just basic things the Pre Calendar is missing like adding color coding to different events. I love my default month (patch) view and hate the fact I have to click on individual days to see what event is schedule for that day. Color coding would able to do the same at a quick glance.

I've NEVER understood the logic of taking features AWAY with upgrades in phones. Wasn't the Pre and webos supposed to be an upgrade from the Treo and Palm OS?

ET
    The thing about patches is one person might want it and no one else.

so the way around this is you have to have an app or something within webOS that can simply toggle on and off what you want you phone to look like. Its the another way to implement it into the OS. If my phone closes with the slider then I'm going to have to find a dev to start patching things to turn them off. Its a catch 22. So on/off toogles. And hopefully Preware will be like that one day and not have to restart the phone after every change.
    Last edited by Greg Mair; 06/19/2010 at 09:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    The thing about patches is one person might want it and no one else.

so the way around this is you have to have an app or something within webOS that can simply toggle on and off what you want you phone to look like. Its the another way to implement it into the OS. If my phone closes with the slider then I'm going to have to find a dev to start patching things to turn them off. Its a catch 22. So on/off toogles. And hopefully Preware will be like that one day and not have to restart the phone after every change.

I am sure you didn't mean it the way I read it... but you don't have to restart after every change in preware. You can apply multiple changes then restart, like I said regardless I don't think you meant it the way I read it, but just incase, I have applied multiple patches at the same time then did a single luna restart.

My other thought, is in general the restart is good.... I say this because if everything were built in as options that did not require restart I think we would end up with bloated code on every part of the OS. That would in long term end up slowing down app processes. The idea of switching an option or options (patches at this point) and the luna restart means that code is replaced vs. always being present. This is all just my random rambling thoughts.
    well.
    As previously said.... why removing sth what was good!!????

I believe that most of Pre users are previous Treo users.
    They loved Treo for applications, ergonomy, etc.

I believe, that ALLL users of Treo was shocked by the way how applications were made for Pre. Nothing was similar. Almost all were worst!

Basics, like calendar! this is a calendar for kids! you cannot see your plan, there is no agenda view, even you cant see names of events in the other than day view. We need patches like ubercalendar, or def month view... God!

I hope that Palm was looking at statistics for returning phones, or dissapointments in use. I hope they deeply considered it.

I thought that Palm has users-believers. Believing deeper than Apple! And what is now? we cant use Pre the way we used Treo! It is not anymore business phone - not because of hardware, but lack of classic software. Just classical Palm software, refreshed to the resolution, colors, and looks of applications in XXI century, like for windows,symbian, etc.

There are of course very nice features of Pre, but the thread is not about.
    How about just having a great WEB OS so patches wont be needed for basic common sense functions that should have been there to begin with. To me a patch is a fix to a left out by a developer.
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    How about just having a great WEB OS so patches wont be needed for basic common sense functions that should have been there to begin with. To me a patch is a fix to a left out by a developer.

Not in all cases, I can think of a few patches that I use that others may not like to use (always charge on plug in to USB, Today Menu drop down from top). I do agree some patches could be built in as options in drop down menus of certain apps. Also some patches are not Palm's fault but the fault of the carrier (sprint removing the call timer, hiding certain carrier installed apps).
    1) faster "move email to folder" (the patch that adds the "move to folder" icon is nice, but the process lags considerably)
    2) faster "sync emails in folder"
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    this is the ultimate as-yet-unseen launcher plugin.
    ---
    ---

launch-day pre: the original gangsta.

twitter / posterous
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast