1.    #1  
    Dear Friends:
    I plan to have a holiday in Europe (mainly vienna, prague, budapest, munich, paris, London, Warsaw) next month for 2-3 weeks with only 2-3days in each country. I need to access my email and yahoo messenger (GPRS) constantly (I will use my old treo 680 GSM unlocked), can any of u recommend any TYPE or BRANS prepaid sim card to minimize roaming cost? Ideally, I buy in Vienna, the first city I visit, and no need to buy from country to country

Thanks

regards,
    Andri
    Hi andri,

You are a little out of luck, as there is no "European" mobile market, just single markets for every Country.
    So You have to get a prepaid for:
    Austria,
    Czech,
    Hungary,
    Germany,
    France,
    Great Britain (UK),
    Poland.

Costs for data in Countries other than the one You have Your prepaid from is extremely high (~10€ /MB).
    To Phone is ok as far as I know, but I don't phone that much.
    I'm not aware of a brand where European roaming is cheap or even moderate in price.

Regards
    Ralf
    As Keimix already said there is no big european service provider, furthermore Data services are rather expensive when you're using prepaid SIMs.
    The only plan i can think of atm is "Reload Extreme" from "3". They are charging you 0.15€/MB within their own network in Austria and the UK. Outgoing calls to the USA cost 0,42€/min.
    I don't know whether or not you can use that SIM in Czech, Hungary, Germany, France and Poland for data services but if it's possible, it won't be cheap.
    The sim card alone will cost you 15€ including a 5€ credit.
    www.drei.at - Einzelpreise - 3ReLoad Extreme

So tbh i'd rather keep an eye open for free WiFi Hotspots like offered in the Museumsquartier in Vienna.

Do not hesitate to PM me in case you have any other questions regarding Austria.

Cheers,
    dr fnord
    E-plus in Germany, also known as SIMYO has pretty good roaming rates for voice, SMS and data. simyo - Las tarifas más baratas para móvil de Contrato y de Prepago e Internet móvil
    O2 Germany has a new thingy they call "Dataroaming Airbag". You pay 5 Cents per 10KBs of data when being in the european union and when you reach 59,90€ (which is after 12 Mb already then) they will limit your connection-speed to gprs and your free to use the internet without additional costs.

As far as I know this is due to an new european law which limits dataroaming-costs to a specific amount of euros per month. Maybe austrian networks have a similar thing. They are usually quite data-connection-friendly..
    See here: Google Nachricht (I know, google translation is crap)

It applies to the prepaid cards as well. But note that they will limit your data rates to 64kbit/s after 30MB and to 2kbit/s (!) after 200MB of transfered data. Besides that, they also have an "Internet Day Pack EU" which sounds interesting.

But you wont be able to get a O2-Germay SIM in Vienna though...
  7.    #7  
    Thanks friends.

I got the idea now. The Germany O2 seems the cheapest (can it be prepaid?). EPlus is also good at roaming at euro1/100Kb.

However, I started off at Vienna, Austria. I pm Fnords already, but any info on Austria prepaid simcard is greatly appreciated. I only need for data and GPRS access is fine ( I will leave my pre at home, as it is expensive to roam).

If any blackberry service prepaid is also good for me. I am using prepaid blackberry service in my country at very cheap rate. About euro 12/month. We can also can get daily at Euro 0.50/day. email and chat only service is even cheaper at Euro 4.50/month.

Thanks guys for all the info here.

Rgds,
    Andri
    Ok, I've done some research and basically got two alternatives for you (3 isn't an option anymore since they don'T provide 2g coverage in cities)

1. Get a SIM-Card for Austria and another one with cheaper roaming rates as soon as you've reached your 2nd destination

-> "KLAX Internet Starter Paket" from T-Mobile
    Price of the SIM: 9,90€ including 512MB of Data
    This sim can't be used for data roaming!
    http://www.t-mobile.at/privat/mobile...ket/index.html

2. Get a single SIM for the entire trip in Austria

-> "Orange Wertkarte"
    SIM: 9,90€ including a 5€ credit
    Data usage within Austria: 2,5€/MB, Roaming: 16€/MB
    http://www.orange.at/Content.Node/ta..._wertkarte.php

Btw.: Have you already had a look at the roaming prices of your own countries carriers? It doesn't look like there are zones for data roaming....
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dr fnord View Post
    Ok, I've done some research and basically got two alternatives for you (3 isn't an option anymore since they don'T provide 2g coverage in cities)

1. Get a SIM-Card for Austria and another one with cheaper roaming rates as soon as you've reached your 2nd destination

-> "KLAX Internet Starter Paket" from T-Mobile
    Price of the SIM: 9,90€ including 512MB of Data
    This sim can't be used for data roaming!
    KLAX STARTER PAKET - T-Mobile

2. Get a single SIM for the entire trip in Austria

-> "Orange Wertkarte"
    SIM: 9,90€ including a 5€ credit
    Data usage within Austria: 2,5€/MB, Roaming: 16€/MB
    Orange Wertkarte - orange.at

Btw.: Have you already had a look at the roaming prices of your own countries carriers? It doesn't look like there are zones for data roaming....
    Thanks Guy:
    I will get Orange wertkarte when i get to vienna. Roaming cost is unknown in my country. I called CS, she only told me that they charge customers whatever the local europe operators charge.

Regards,
    Andri