1.    #1  
    hello,
    i'm trying to save my battery and while i'm at home i use wifi mostly anyways, so i would like to disable 3g and leave the phone at 1x. i wanted to know if there is an app or code to a hidden menu to enter into the phone that will let me do this. i saw one thread about this with a ## code but it didn't work for me maybe because i have 1.4.1.1 and the verizon version of this phone. btw, i am using a patch called device menu remix which gives you battery/brightness/wifi and bluetooth toggle. in a perfect world i would love a 2g/3g toggle that would be a perfect patch to add! i would appreciate any help. thank you!
    Last edited by iB4STiD; 05/08/2010 at 01:27 AM.
    you can toggle 3g off in the phone preferences. open the phone app. tap top left corner and tap preferences. scroll down to network and toggle 'data usage' to off.
    or you can just the the toggle 3G on and off patch.
    I'm pretty sure that when you've got WIFI enabled, the Pre disables the EVDO radio. My experience using WIFI is that it's a significant battery saver compared to EVDO. And I don't manually disable or force any particular data rate.

That said, if you really want to, you can force 1x mode without a patch. Just dial ##EVDO# (##3836#) from the dialer. An "EVDO Mode" screen should come up. Set the data mode to "1xRTT only", and you'll force 1x mode. Do the same to get back.

One thing to note on this menu. You will lose the ability to receive incoming calls if you set either of these modes:
    • EVDO Rev 0 only
    • EVDO only

Incoming calls notifications are sent over 1xRTT. The HYBRID modes enable those incoming call notifications, in addition to running at EVDO speeds. If you run only EVDO, you lose incoming calls. You can still make outgoing calls.

Since you want to lock onto 1xRTT, the incoming call notification issue won't be a problem.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 05/08/2010 at 05:48 AM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  5.    #5  
    i just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to help me so quickly !!!
    I'm scratching my head over this one, b/c I really want the ability to toggle between "2g" and 3G/EVDO.

Under Phone --> Pref --> Network, I see:

Voice Network: Automatic (other choice is "Verizon Only")
    Data Roaming: Disabled (other choice is "Enabled")
    Data Usage: On (or off- it's a switch rather than a drop-down menu)

That's everything that's listed. After installing the data-toggle patch, the only option that shows up on the system menu is "On" or "Off"

Can anyone please assist? Could a patch be the culprit? I dont have any that should affect data toggle, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Phone info: VZW Pre Plus / WebOS 1.4.1.1 / Configuration "Verizon 1.3"

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by charles77k View Post
    you can toggle 3g off in the phone preferences. open the phone app. tap top left corner and tap preferences. scroll down to network and toggle 'data usage' to off.
    There is a patch for this in Preware that lets you select 2G, 3G, or Auto in the device menu. It's called "Toggle 3G in Device Menu."
    No matter what you toggle the Phone only uses 1x and if wifi is connected then Evdo is deactivated.

The 2g/3g toggle might save battery (still not convinced of this) if you are away from a wifi connection but why would you want to cripple your Pre?
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    The 2g/3g Toggle Patch doesn't work on my Pre Plus, 1.4.1
    the 2g/3g Toggle Patch didn't work on my pre+ 1.4.1 either
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    or you can just the the toggle 3G on and off patch.
    It didn't work for me on my VZW Pre, I use Data on/off patch
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    No matter what you toggle the Phone only uses 1x and if wifi is connected then Evdo is deactivated.

The 2g/3g toggle might save battery (still not convinced of this) if you are away from a wifi connection but why would you want to cripple your Pre?
    The cellular radio will still stay registered with the data network when wifi is on. If you are in an area with strong 1x and weaker EVDO, disabling EVDO will increase battery life.

1x and EV are different from 2G/3G on the GSM phones. GSM 2G and 3G use completely different techs, a WCDMA phone makes voice calls on the same 3G network as data. If 3G is disabled or not available voice and data all travel over the older GSM/GPRS/EDGE net. CDMA uses the 1xRTT net for voice (and data if EV isn't available) and EV for data, but it is EVDO, Data Only. So it isn't the same as WCDMA in that regard.

Semantics aside, when I was visiting some relatives that had weak Verizon signal I brought a Verizon femtocell so there was strong 1x inside and weak EV from the cell net. My battery was draining like crazy even with my phone using wifi for data until I disabled EVDO so it would just camp on the femto and stop trying to latch onto the weak EV.

Disabling EVDO can definitely help battery life in certain situations.