1.    #1  
    Anybody else find themselves constantly grabbing for their Pre while laying on the couch watching a TV show or movie just to look up something related to whatever they're watching? It could be a product in a commercial, or perhaps you wanna find out the actor in the movie you're enthralled in? Maybe that song in the background is good and you wanna find out what it is.

I used to wait for commercial breaks (or pause the DVD), go to the other room and hop on the PC to check things like these out. This happened fairly often. Not anymore since I got my Pre (though I suppose any phone with a decent web browser would do).

So owning a Pre has actually enhanced my television watching experience. Has it done so for anyone else?

[On a related side note, I'm beginning to think that maybe Apple's on to something with this whole iPad thing after all. *looks forward to future HP-Palm tablet*]
    Last edited by glassadam; 05/08/2010 at 12:30 AM.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I....I've never known anyone before who would run to google things they saw on tv during commercial breaks.

Every smart phone out there has search engine functions. Advertising that specific feature on the Pre would kind of be like making an entire commercial advertising the fact that it can send text messages, or that it has a "settings" menu >.>
    I do it all the time.....
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadnic View Post
    I....I've never known anyone before who would run to google things they saw on tv during commercial breaks.

Every smart phone out there has search engine functions. Advertising that specific feature on the Pre would kind of be like making an entire commercial advertising the fact that it can send text messages, or that it has a "settings" menu >.>
    Ha! Yeah when watching TV random related thoughts pop into my head (what other movie was that actor in? IMDb is a very frequent destination for me ) . Sometimes-- rarely!-- but sometimes I'll google something related to a commercial.

Also, yeah, I acknowledged in the original post that this wasn't strictly relegated to just the Pre, and that any web-enabled phone would serve as a TV companion. But hey, I own a Pre and this is the PreCentral forums, so there ya go.
    How about the fact that it is "the perfect complement" to any sporting event on T.V. I mean it is ridiculous how many conversations I have SMSing my friends during the Laker games!!!!!!!!!!!
    yep, but it has nothing to do specifically with pre
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by puyobwoc View Post
    How about the fact that it is "the perfect complement" to any sporting event on T.V. I mean it is ridiculous how many conversations I have SMSing my friends during the Laker games!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ahahaha yep you're absolutely right about that, and I didn't even think about it! I text back and forth during Cubs games with my buddy up in the suburbs. Good times!
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Have you checked out the Titan TV website on the Pre? Great source of tv listings.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Oh, yeah. Googling or Wiki'ing stuff, plus going back to a game during commercials. I NEVER did that before my Pre. My family's just used to me doing that now - they've slacked off on hassling me some.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    er.. Any smartphones a perfect tv companion then.. This thread should be under something other than palm pre.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    er.. Any smartphones a perfect tv companion then.. This thread should be under something other than palm pre.
    Thought it was pretty clear in the original post that any smartphone could serve this purpose, yes. On the other hand I own a Pre and am talking about the Pre in my experience, so it's in the Pre forum section.
    Universal search saves a step -- no need to open browser.
    I guess I'm old-fashioned. I usually have the netbook set up next to me when I am watching TV.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    I google/wiki stuff all the time. My wife and I both grab our Pre's during commericals. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    Ha! Yeah when watching TV random related thoughts pop into my head (what other movie was that actor in? IMDb is a very frequent destination for me ) . Sometimes-- rarely!-- but sometimes I'll google something related to a commercial.

Also, yeah, I acknowledged in the original post that this wasn't strictly relegated to just the Pre, and that any web-enabled phone would serve as a TV companion. But hey, I own a Pre and this is the PreCentral forums, so there ya go.
    me too...i'm always thinking of this and that...having a fast pre+ w/wifi is the perfect tv companion. yes, any smartphone...blahblahblah...but universal search and a real keyboard makes it sooo much easier! throw in uberkernel/govnah to make everything super fast, well then you're good to go. i get having a netbook or laptop but if i'm at my buddies place i might not have all that and well sometimes we just gotta know some useless bit of knowledge...

oh yeah...theres a patch that puts IMDB in the universal search drop down box...uhhh YEAH!!! and if you're feeling really spicey... theres a patch that even adds a command line
    Well yes, any smartphone using a webkit or comparable browser...but as I was a WinMo guy before the Pre, yes! TV or anything where I find I need to lookup something. The most difficult thing is remembering I don't have to wait until I'm in front of a pc...
    I do this so much, sometimes I forget about the TV and can't put the phone down.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    ^ +1
    "Truth is ... everybody is going to hurt you ... you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for" -- Bob Marley

--NAZ--
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rog47776 View Post
    The most difficult thing is remembering I don't have to wait until I'm in front of a pc...
    +1

I am definitely getting better at making the most of my pre, I have found myself using it more and more to do things I would usually have waited until I got home to the pc to do.

It's also my .. uh ... restroom companion
    Last edited by tsnum4; 05/11/2010 at 04:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    I do this so much, sometimes I forget about the TV and can't put the phone down.
    guilty!