Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I try to keep it off because the phone will run out of battery after about 5 hours of standby (without making a call).
    5 hours seems insane. I do charge my Pre more often than not so maybe I'm not noticing, but I leave my WIFI on 90% of the time.

My biggest battery drain is watching SF4 downloads from youtube ala download patch

At idle, my battery will NOT drain even with the WIFI on overnight and not on the charger.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    I use my Pre only as a PDA, so my wifi is on all the time. I get amazing battery life
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    I try to keep it off because the phone will run out of battery after about 5 hours of standby (without making a call).
    No because leaving it on when it is not being used is killing it's life cycle and I would much rather keep my launch day Pre alive as long as possible without having to get a replacement.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    yes because I have wifi both home and work. Not going to toggle when I'm not at one of those two placed unless I know I'll be away for a while
    Wifi on while not in use = battery drain
    Wifi while in use = good

I don't see the reason to keep it on unless you're slack.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    i use the patch that shuts it off when the screen goes dark. I also shut it off when I am in the office because I have a PC for internet access while I'm on the phone.

I use WiFi most when I'm at home, or when I don't have access to my PC.

The WiFi radio sucks a lot of power, so I leave it off unless I need it. Even then, it turns itself on and off when the screen wakes up and sleeps.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    FYI, 5hrs without use isn't right. You must have it checking lots of on-line accounts, and doing something that works the radio even when the phone is idle.

For example, if you leave Google Maps open inside, it keeps trying to find you.

If you leave an on-line card game open, it keeps checking to see if you want to be dealt back in.

etc etc.

There is a great thread here on battery saving tips. Take a look at that, and start going green!

And then go get the Siedio 2600mAh battery...
    if it's not being used it should be off. Continuos looking for a wifi connection will drain yr battery.
    I don't have it on unless I am near a wi-fi place and I want to use it which is rarely. Even when we were in the hotel room I didn't use the free wi-fi there because I didn't need to.

Of course I had my laptop with my broadband card to play on the internet with. LOL
    I get better battery life with only wifi on so i have the wifi on whenever there is wifi. Any other time I leave the wifi off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The WiFi radio sucks a lot of power, so I leave it off unless I need it. Even then, it turns itself on and off when the screen wakes up and sleeps.
    Generally, most people get better battery life with Wifi on instead of EVDO. Your mileage may vary. The only way to tell is to hang a hour of idle (without any use whatsoever with Wifi and then EVDO in one single position. Use Battery Monitor.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  13.    #13  
    when wifi is on the phone feels warm as if it has been working for a while.

i have wireless internet access at work and at home. i would like to keep wifi on.

just got my pre+ a week ago.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I keep mine on all the time and do not have problems. Of course, I am either connect at home or at the office 90% of the time. I would think that is more efficient that using the data service.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I keep mine on all the time & use wifi @ home & office. The simple fact is when I turn it off I forget & leave it off for days.
    I have an unlimited plan so no need to ever turn it on.....
    A couple of things dont make sense.

First - Wouldnt the ev net card use more energy since it has further to search for a signal ie a stronger more powerfull antenna? And therefore the wifi card would use less energy because the power of the antenna is smaller.

Second - When there is no wifi signal but you do have ev wouldnt the wifi network card not need to search for a signal since the phone already has a connection. If not can there be a patch made for it.

If you want to save battery life change your settings to manual for all email or whatever the longest time is and hit refresh when YOU want to check. Then you can turn the data on and off when you need it.

or...
    You could use a program like mode switcher to automaticly change desired settings for different locations or time of day along with using the 3 different types of chargers.

Oh and yes I keep mine on all the time, and everytime I am at a new place I check for wifi signals to use and store them so it automaticly connects. Works 75% of the time.
    Last edited by pattavino; 05/07/2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: forgot something
    You know me to be a reasonably smart person, don't you think I would know if I were wrong?
    I have it on at home, where I have wifi, off at work where I don't, and turn it on to search for accessible wifi hotspots if I'm somewhere new that I haven't already stored.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    I leave my Wifi on all the time because I can forget to turn it back on. The only time I turn it off is when I'm on the edge of my Wifi network and getting poor internet because of it. Then I'll use 3G.

Wifi is broadcasted from your router and your Wifi will pick up and try to establish. If there are no Wifi sources, then it just sits there if I recall correctly. EVDO will constantly handshake between towers when the signal strength varies. As such, I would think you would want to leave Wifi on in case you come into range of one and want to hook up to get better net and lower power use.

In my experience, I don't see any major difference between the two in actual use. Probably get slightly less drain with Wifi, but the speed of the connection is what makes the difference for me.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure wifi uses a lot less power than evdo. also, the wifi on the phone is actually pretty smart. if you have a connection, it will keep the wifi on even if the screen is off. this way, it can use wifi instead of evdo, and save battery power. if you don't have a connection, the wifi shuts off when the screen is off, this way it is not wasting battery by constantly searching for a connection.

if you are out somewhere though, and know that you are not going to be around anything with wifi, it does make sense to turn it off, since every time you wake the phone, it is going to search for a wifi signal.

anywho, since I spend 80% of my day in the presence of wifi, I just leave it on all the time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast