1.    #1  
    I cant help but wonder why would palm keep launching the palm pre when it has old hardware compared to all of these new phones currently available or coming out soon. I thought they should have used the omap 36x. in the pre plus but they didn't. So my question is will using hardware accelerated css transforms in the gui make it as fast and smooth as the iphone 3gs? If not i just cant help wondering that palm pre plus on at&t will be left in the dust. Especially with the iphone 4g coming out.
    So if someone wants to upgrade their phone and does not want to pay alot of money then i am assuming the iphone 3gs will take a price cut and that will put it up against the palm pre. So again assuming, the palm pre plus on a at%t needs a speed bump or else most people will opt for the more affordable phone with more benefits.

Remember the 2g got a price cut

Will this happen in the fall with css transforms to the gui or is it just for the apps.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    the pre has the same hardware as the 3gs so yes it would.
    and to comment all the 1ghz snapdragon hype, its a great cpu indeed but the omap platforum we are running on is great and very powerful because of its efficiency.

edit: hardware acceleration is on its way im pretty sure.
    You need to keep in mind that webOS is (very) basically a Web server (the OS) dishing up Web pages (the GUI, which includes apps). Because historically HTML and CSS haven't been GPU-accelerated, we're not getting nearly the performance we'd like. However, CSS transforms are a newer technology being built into Webkit (the browser technology used in webOS for displaying HTML and CSS) that do utilize the GPU to accelerate transitions and such. webGL is another technology that Palm is looking at for speeding up the display performance of webOS.

So, short version: yes, Palm is working to utilize the required technology to make webOS faster on current hardware, and even faster on future hardware. CSS transforms (which will come soonest) and webGL aren't the only things. Update: Palm is also replacing Java with Javascript services, which I understand will speed the system up on the backend like the GPU will speed things up on the frontend--not actually sure about this part, maybe someone else can clarify.

By the Fall, we should have some very nice performance and battery life improvements (offloading to the GPU should make webOS more efficient) for existing hardware, and of course that will dovetail nicely with the new hardware that is rumored (and, really, expected) to be out around the same time.

Also: note that the 3D games run just as well on the Pre as they do on the iPhone 3GS. So, the needed horsepower is there. It's just that the Web-based GUI doesn't take advantage of it.
    Last edited by wynand32; 05/08/2010 at 12:37 PM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  4.    #4  
    i personally am waiting for the omap4 i could careless about snapdragon. Another thing is that dion tweeted something about v8 being faster or something and that means webos becomes faster i think it had to do with the javascript not sure. But this sounds great if it happens by fall. Palm pre will be even more desirable.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    i could careless about snapdragon
    "Could", or couldn't? Why so "careless"?