1.    #1  
    So I am ready to leave the world of Bill Gates but there are some features I really like. Going from a Samsung Epix to ATT Pre Plus.
    Can any of you suggest apps or tips that will make the plunge easier? Outlook email/calendar compatibility etc..
    Also will the new OS still be compatible with iTunes? I have been pretty vigilant not to go with the latest upgrades.
    Welcome to Pre Central and webOS. Enjoy your new phone! http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html
    Just reach out whenever you need help.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I am using itunes 8.something and the media sync works just fine.
    iTunes will work up to and including ver 9.1. If you install a later version beyond that, you're outta luck.

If you need to uninstall/reinstall iTunes, oldapps.com will have the version you need.

Welcome!!
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    You're welcome here. There are a lot of good folks around here who can help you out with your concerns. As a long time former WinMo user all I can say is you made a good choice. I got the Pre since launch day of 2009 and never once did I regret my decision. Enjoy!
    Winmo convert here also. Exhange is great, even works for 2 exchange accounts on one phone. The only thing I miss from time to time is Remote Desktop.
    I had a WinMo 5.0 phone before the Pre. It was pretty bad and unreliable, but after the 1.4 WebOS update, I think the Pre is giving my old WinMo 5.0 phone a run for it's money in the reliability aspect
    well you need to upgrade your phone network and music program first.
    1 don't sync with gmail
    2 get webosQuickInstall
    3 get preware
    4 get the UberKernel to overclock.

and prepare for short battery life because you won't put it down for weeks, and downloading apps or generally messing with the kewl things it can do.... Will definitely use battery.

...but it is oh-so worth it...

I also recommend the 2600mah extended battery for such heavy use.

you will love it!
    If you are looking at Exchange compatibility, it's there. If you are using Outlook personally, and don't have Exchange, you can use google as a go-through to sync your calendar and contacts with Outlook.

For my personal Outlook use I created a gmail account. Then I downloaded google's calendar sync for Outlook and set it up to sync Outlook, 2 way, automatically with google calendar. Then I got a program called Go ContactSync which does the same thing with my Outlook contacts and the gmail contacts. Then I set up the gmail account on my Pre+, and now my phone's contacts and calendar stay synced to my PC's Outlook and I never have to do a thing.

There are also a couple of programs you can purchase that will sync this stuff, including email, to your PC over your wireless (if you have it) when you get home, doing so automatically. Plenty of solutions depending on your situation and needs.
    I love my Pre but I do miss the Windows mobile today screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    1 don't sync with gmail
    2 get webosQuickInstall
    3 get preware
    4 get the UberKernel to overclock.

and prepare for short battery life because you won't put it down for weeks, and downloading apps or generally messing with the kewl things it can do.... Will definitely use battery.

...but it is oh-so worth it...

I also recommend the 2600mah extended battery for such heavy use.

you will love it!
    Why not sync with gmail? Or are you saying it just doesn't sync with gmail? I'm not a gmail user so I'm just curious.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    I too came from WinMo in March when my Samsung Omnia stopped responding to touch inputs, and even though the Pre was a stop gap from now until December where I plan on getting a WP7 phone, I've grown to love this community, the patches, the phone, the OS, even how entusiastic the little company is.

I love this freakin' phone and I'm deadly pumped for WP7 but the Pre is definitely making me at least want to own two active phones...

If you loved WinMo's customization, you'll love Palm's open-source community. The difference is, things are more organized here and they tend to work better.
    Quote Originally Posted by short bus View Post
    What particularly do you miss?
    I am using the treo pro and love having TodayAgenda showing on my Today screen. All my upcoming appointments right there. That will prolly be the biggest thing besides exchange that I'll be wanting.
    Welcome,
    count cellular
    Quote Originally Posted by short bus View Post
    You mean the one that EVERYONE immediately puts a shell like SPB Mobile on top of because it looks like Windows 98 from default?
    Gmail sync works perfectly. You can even choose different deleted folders for those of us that never delete e-mail and just have it archived/sent to all mail.
  18.    #18  
    Thanks for your input, I had a similar take. So a couple of questions from your two posts.
    1. Is there really a SPB shell for it that interfaces well.
    2. I do like a dropdown list view, is there a patch for that?
    3. What is your favorite patches that help to customize?
    1. SPB for Pre? Nope, don't need it really. WebOS is a gorgeous OS and doesn't need a blanket to cover up it's ugly underside because the ugly underside doesn't exist, unlike WinMo.

I liked WinMo until I met the Pre. I owned an HTC 6800 and Samsung Omnia, The Pre although lacks in build quality, is by far the best phone I have ever owned thanks to it's community and WebOS.

2.Specify? Dropdown where? Like a start menu? I don't understand.

3. My top 5 fav patches are:

1. 800MHz kernal patch with Govnah
    2. 4x4 Icons v3
    3. Video Downloads (Download YouTube videos from the App)
    4. Data in Device Menu (I shut 3G off when not using it, helps immensely with battery life)
    5. Multi Mod (Makes browsing the internet a whole lot better)
    Last edited by SportingLions; 05/15/2010 at 12:53 AM.