1.    #1  
    I noticed my "daily" backup is two days behind. Anyone else have this issue?
    Mine seems up to date when I check it. If you tell it to "back up now" does it work?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    You have homebrews, patches, etc installed? I use to have this problem and my backup just completely stopped working and had to manually do it. I doctored my phone and haven't installed a single patch, etc since and no problems now. Not blaming homebrews, patches, etc but just from personal experience.

Actually - do you have MyTether installed? I've always thought this was the culprit...
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Mine was 3 weeks behind before it finally 'backed me up'.
    I tried to manally do it and it would sit on 'preparing' for ever and do nothing. I also tried to 'turn off and erase backup' and it would just spin endlessly.

I don't know why it finally backed itself it up but it's not too big of deal to me because I lost confidence in Palm for this feature long ago.

Make sure you're backed on a Gmail account (contacts/calendar) or something simular. I learned the hard way when I lost a bunch of contacts upon getting a refurb.. .
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    I noticed my "daily" backup is two days behind. Anyone else have this issue?
    Mine too. It was showing "last backup 5/5/10". I just did a manual backup for now.

I have 51 patches installed. I'm sure one of them is the culprit but I'm never going to figure out which one.
    Although the odds of it happening two days in a row are very small, it's still a possibility so I'm going to throw it out there.

You're device has a backup time that is attached to your profile. If this backup time comes around and the device is unable to get a data signal your backup is skipped for that day and will attempt to backup again on the next day (same time).

Data can be not active if you are
    1. On a phone call (except GSM units) and not connected to WiFi
    2. In airplane mode
    3. Turned completely off either because battery is completely dead or on purpose
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  7.    #7  
    yes I have patches. I can back up manually. Two days isn't bad as not being able auto backup at all. I'll leave as is.
    My Backup also doesn't work properly. I have a dozen patches as well as My Tether and I have to remember to backup manually every week or two. If anyone figures out the culprit, please let us know.
    For the record, I have MyTether installed and working fine plus 37 other applications (about half are homebrew), 48 patches, 8 misc. services, and a custom kernel in alpha testing and my backup works without a hitch.

Now keep in mind that after every WebOS update I make sure everything I have is working like I want it to and running stable, then I Doctor my phone with the latest OS and reinstall my apps and patches.

It may take some time, but... my phone and all my apps continue to work the way they are supposed to.

Just make sure you don't lay blame on somebody's app or patch that isn't the culprit.
    If having a problem with Backup. Turn off the backup button from ON to OFF. It will delete the old backup. When that is done, turn the Backup button back ON and create a new backup. This usually seems to fix the problem of the backup not working automatically.
    Not that this is a biggie for most people but it is for me but you might want to check your Facebook synergy to see if all your contacts are being pulled in as well. I actually know everyone on my Facebook account so having my Pre pull their info into my contacts was a huge deal. After I installed all the patches and mytether, only about 20% of them pulled in.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    If having a problem with Backup. Turn off the backup button from ON to OFF. It will delete the old backup. When that is done, turn the Backup button back ON and create a new backup. This usually seems to fix the problem of the backup not working automatically.
    I've done this twice in the past 11 months and it took care of the problem. My Pre is automatically backing up without any problems at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Although the odds of it happening two days in a row are very small, it's still a possibility so I'm going to throw it out there.

You're device has a backup time that is attached to your profile. If this backup time comes around and the device is unable to get a data signal your backup is skipped for that day and will attempt to backup again on the next day (same time).

Data can be not active if you are
    1. On a phone call (except GSM units) and not connected to WiFi
    2. In airplane mode
    3. Turned completely off either because battery is completely dead or on purpose
    Hardbeatz, is it possible to change the backup time associated with a profile? I usually put my phone in airplane mode overnight so as not to be disturbed by any incoming messages. As I suspected, and as you are confirming, this affects my device being able to perform the backup.
    Your device gets put into a time based on available time slots.

Some users are reporting that their time is basically reset to whatever time they do a manual backup, but I'm being told that it shouldn't work like that.

So based on how things are supposed to work I'm going to say no, however you can try doing a manual backup at the time you would like your backups to work at and keep an eye on it and see if your device backs up every day at that time.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    I find that the automatic backup doesn't always work when WiFi is on. Manual backup works with WifI, though. But automatic backup always works for me with WiFi turned off. Anyone else notice this?
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    On 8/21/10 mine stopped doing auto backups and it wouldn't do manual ones either (it "prepared to backup" all night on the 23rd when I set it to do so). I didn't dare delete the backup and try to re-backup because the backup stopped happening the same day I got a persistent stuck in headset problem and I was afraid I was going to have to warranty exchange at the end of the week. As it was, trying to clear the headset problem, I did a wipe and restore on the Thursday of that week, and while it didn't clear the headset problem, it did fix auto backup. It has worked fine since then. (and a tech at the Sprint store was able to clear the stuck in headset problem that Saturday). I still get stuck in headset at least once a week, but my backups are fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwbekens View Post
    I find that the automatic backup doesn't always work when WiFi is on. Manual backup works with WifI, though. But automatic backup always works for me with WiFi turned off. Anyone else notice this?
    My phone is on wifi most of the time and it has failed to back up automatically on only 2 occasions in the past 15 months. I don't think that wifi is the issue.