Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It seems odd there isn't one in the works. It's been over a year. How likely do you think it will be Palm updates the existing player?
    Not likely.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    the pre does play mpeg-4 files already. It has since day 1. as for WMV, honestly, I don't even want it to. WMV is a terrible codec, and Palm choosing not to include that codec in WebOS saves on licensing fees and means people will be using better, more efficent, and more standard video codecs.
    I wouldn't mind at all if webOS would at least add support for .avi's they're so popular..
    I believe WMV is a proprietary Microsoft format, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. What is MPEG? I thought that was the umbrella organization that does MP3 and MP4 formats (which I think webOS can handle)? Is it a specific format?

There's a lot of free conversion programs out there that can convert video to play on webOS. What exactly are you trying to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    the pre does play mpeg-4 files already. It has since day 1. as for WMV, honestly, I don't even want it to. WMV is a terrible codec, and Palm choosing not to include that codec in WebOS saves on licensing fees and means people will be using better, more efficent, and more standard video codecs.
    The only problem with that is that there so many files posted on the web or sent via email that are in that format... it's annoying not to be able to view them.

It's almost analogous to the VHS/Beta wars of a generation ago. Most experts (I think) felt that Beta was a superior format, but which one ended up having all the movies at the video stores?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post

There's a lot of free conversion programs out there that can convert video to play on webOS.
    Will any of them allow you to do it right on your Pre? Most of the ones I'm aware of require an actual computer.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

8.    #8  
    I don't want to convert files. Seems it would be easier create a player than worry about converting a file. As some else mentioned they are common files on the web. I also receive them view email. Side note my wife's palm entro could play the files.
    My problem is the streaming radio station I can't live without (KTCK the Ticket in Dallas) only streams in WMV.....bleh.....Am I correct that Kinoma or other streaming players used in Classic still don't work due to the lack of WMV codecs in WebOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    I don't want to convert files. Seems it would be easier create a player than worry about converting a file. As some else mentioned they are common files on the web. I also receive them view email. Side note my wife's palm entro could play the files.
    Would be nice if the Pre can identify itself as a PMP to Windows 7, then take advantage of the Drag and Drop Transcoding.

Although I still prefer manual coding since I can then trim my clips.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I have the same problem with KOGO in San Diego its wmv. and you are right Kinoma will not even start in Classic, our only hope is an update for classic with kinoma support or Kinoma port for actual webos...
    Have you guys used RadioTime application from the App Catalog? Its a free app and has thousands of radio stations available from around the world at your fingertip. Give it a try, I had one station that was streaming in .asx format but I found it on Radiotime and it works perfect.

@migs, I saw KOGO in RadioTime (Community Connections??).. Give it a try.
  13.    #13  
    As far as streaming goes for local and national radio use Sprint TV. It's actually pretty good with a lot of stations. Besides it's free. The downside is you can't turn off the screen while streaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by vholif2137 View Post
    My problem is the streaming radio station I can't live without (KTCK the Ticket in Dallas) only streams in WMV.....bleh.....Am I correct that Kinoma or other streaming players used in Classic still don't work due to the lack of WMV codecs in WebOS?
    Same reason I want .WMV! Lonely days at work not listening to the ticket, relegated to listening to their podcasts and the weekly wrap up by TC. VSBB!
    could someone point me to a good one.
    I had one or two about 5 years ago but can't remeber which ones and that was on a different computer.
    Of the 3 or 4 I have found and dowmloaded n the last few weeks each were little more than a scam - Say they are free, but you got to pay $59.99 if you don't want a watermark on the output - arrrggg!!
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    <snip>
    There's a lot of free conversion programs out there that can convert video to play on webOS. What exactly are you trying to do?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    As far as streaming goes for local and national radio use Sprint TV. It's actually pretty good with a lot of stations. Besides it's free. The downside is you can't turn off the screen while streaming.
    RadioTime has a heck of a lot more local stations (determined by GPS) and national stations (worldwide even) than Sprint TV carries. In fact, we carry more stations than any other application on any platform. You can turn off the screen. You can play in the background (we have a dashboard). You can login to our website and add/delete/organize your Presets from there and they'll automatically sync with your WebOS phone. And, we're also free.

Why not check us out?

RadioTime (send to phone)

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Follow TuneIn on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/tunein
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chull View Post
    could someone point me to a good one.
    I had one or two about 5 years ago but can't remeber which ones and that was on a different computer.
    Of the 3 or 4 I have found and dowmloaded n the last few weeks each were little more than a scam - Say they are free, but you got to pay $59.99 if you don't want a watermark on the output - arrrggg!!
    Thanks!

VideoLan Client (VLC) can do transcoding to a variety of formats that are Pre/Pixi compatible and is free.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Thanks!
    I have been using VLC to watch vids fr almost ayear now and love! (Except it crashes often!!)
    I didn't even think about looking to see if it transcoded.

Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post
    VideoLan Client (VLC) can do transcoding to a variety of formats that are Pre/Pixi compatible and is free.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    DivX/xVid support for WebOS anyone?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chull View Post
    Thanks!
    I have been using VLC to watch vids fr almost ayear now and love! (Except it crashes often!!)
    I didn't even think about looking to see if it transcoded.
    You might want to think about making a little batch/bat script for it because it can run from the command line. It's definitely more powerful on the command line and a lot more stable.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast