1.    #1  
    For People watching this thread on their phones sorry this video will only work on PC.

MarketWatch.com
    interesting that the buyer said she had to pay 9% Ca tax on the $600 retail price of the phone, translating to about $60. The phone was $30 on Verizon but her new every 2 made it zero. If she had paid the $30, would her taxes have been $3? And why didn't the marketwatch interviewer explore that question? It seemed like he had wanted to say at the end that this showed the future of Palm, ie the carriers dumping phones, but then he had to catch himself because the HP news changes "Palms future", a angle which he also did not explore.
    Very strange and not a video worth viewing
    Wow, makes my 69.99 plan with Sprint look even sweeter. All of the extras are typical for any mobile phone that you purchase. It is funny how the media likes to put a negative spin on things.
    Is it me, or is she not the brightest bulb in the fixture? And he isn't too bright either. It's a tex-nology program, and they focused on price/taxes/accessories for almost the entire segment.

She talks as though price/tax was an issue of the Pre, and not the goofy tax structure of California.

And the "gotcha" items as if she was forced to buy accessories, and as if they were included with her last phone...

Geesh. No focus on what the phone does, just on the final cost for someone who has no idea that she just bought a space-age miracle.

I hope those people aren't getting paid much by marketwatch.com
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    This was such a waste of time segment...

One. Why is she complaining about them "Getting Her" to get accessories?... if she did some research, she could have gotten whatever she wanted online for much cheaper...

Second... being forced to get the $30 data plan?...its Verizon... live with it...

Third... They both sound like they are blaming Palm for standard pricing practices that Verizon does with all Smartphones...

Just a weird video that tries to spin Palm as a bad guy....
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    ...and no comparison to anything else. Any other smartphone would have had the same monthly cost because VZ uses the same data plan structure for all of them.

In my case, my monthly cost went way down from my Centro. I have unlimited minutes, and I was paying for tethering and a higher-cost data plan. By changing to the Pre with free tethering, a cheaper data plan, and VZ dropping the price of their unlimited minutes, my phone bill went way down, even after I added the insurance and higher text plan back in...

...geesh. That was a content-free video.
    Remember that this video comes from MarketWatch. These guys are not interested in the tech. They're interested in tech from an investment perspective. E.g. which tech companies should I invest in. So how things are priced from the consumer perspective matters to them. They're trying to understand the consumer incentive to purchase this phone and as a result understand whether or not to invest in that tech company.

That said, the screwy tax structure in CA will apply to any subsidized phone, not just Palm. More over it's not going to apply in a state that isn't as fiscally screwed up as Cali.

So, it is an odd segment. If I were looking to this for information on how to invest, I'd ignore the inclusion of the tax stuff and accessories and focus on the fact that these guys think that Verizon is trying to dump this equipment. I'd be inclined not to buy Palm/HP stock on this information. OTOH, I'd probably be inclined to buy VZW as they're getting a guaranteed revenue in a data plan.

$0.02
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    If I were looking to this for information on how to invest, I'd ignore the inclusion of the tax stuff and accessories and focus on the fact that these guys think that Verizon is trying to dump this equipment. I'd be inclined not to buy Palm/HP stock on this information. OTOH, I'd probably be inclined to buy VZW as they're getting a guaranteed revenue in a data plan.

$0.02
    Thanks for explaining where they are coming from. Even so, they still don't make sense (as per my post above)--they look even more silly for suggesting that HP merger rationale is built on phones that are currently being "dumped" by a carrier--shows these guys don't have a clue and don't do their research.

The stuff about the price and taxes suggests then that they are trying to gear their segments both towards consumers and also to investors--a muddle for sure to try to reach both. I wonder if they wrote the story one way and then someone tried to rewrite it when the merger happened and they ended up with this mess?