Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I've seen the threads, but they just seem to die down without any resolutions. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but could someone help me out with the following:

I'm attempting to use my Verizon Pre Plus as a hot spot for my iPod Touch. For the better part of a year, I was using my Touch Diamond as a wifi hot spot for my Touch. I was consistently getting at least 150-300 kB/s that way at work (work being the 13th floor of a 17 floor building, 15 feet from a window).

I decided to upgrade to a Pre Plus this week. I love it, except that the hot spot is absolutely atrocious.

I've run numerous speed tests, and to say the hot spot is pathetic would be an understatement, and that's when I don't get randomly disconnected.

My numbers on the pre plus hot spot (kB/s):
    Code:
    Down     Up
    2.6      10.8
    3.2      4.0
    1.8      0.1
    2.2      7.8
    7.8      4.2
    13.0     60.0
    1.5      13.0
    I could keep going, but it doesn't get any better. It was decidedly better at home, with 50-70 kB/s, but still a far cry from what I was getting on the diamond.

Meanwhile, on the Pre itself, I'm getting about 200-300 kB/s, but for some reason, it's not trickling to the hot spot program. And using the Touch on my home network, I get between 500-600 kB/s (I hate Charter, btw).

I've read through the threads and tried the auto-DNS settings, but that didn't help. I've looked for an "Update Network" button on the phone, but that doesn't seem to exist on my Pre Plus. I've read through the various threads, and it seems it works great for some people, not at all for others.

Does anyone know if this is a general problem, is it the way the ipod touch requests data, is it just my phone and I need to see if I can get a new one?

I really love the Pre, and the hot spot is not essential, but I've gotten used to streaming videos to my touch at lunch and there are just certain ipod applications I use that aren't available on the Pre. Plus it was one of the main reasons I got the phone, so for it not to work could impact whether I'm keeping it or not.

I apologize for rambling.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Of course, after I type this, I get the best work numbers yet, 37.6 kB/s down and 58.9 kB/s up.

And yes, the 3G icon is showing.
    my guess would be that the problem is with the ipod, but only because there is another thread already going that is discussing the same issue.

I suggest that you post your question there so that you will get answers and info quicker.

But, my first question is: Did you try it with another device such as a laptop? You need to be able to compare at least two devices, hopefully connected at the same time.

I get about 1.2m down and about 300k up. The numbers you are reporting are closer to what I got from my old EVDO1x Centro. Can you find a way to compare another PC (preferably not a Mac).

I don't have an iPod, but there are others in that thread with iPod/iPad/etc.

The second question is how many bars does your phone show for your signal.

The third is about location, since some wifi signals can conflict with cordless phones, microwave ovens, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by easymacfu View Post
    ...and that's when I don't get randomly disconnected.
    How do you know you're being disconnected? Does the device automatically reconnect? Have you tried using the Hot Spot with any other devices?

I've had a similar issue with the Hot Spot when using Ubuntu Linux, but only with the latest drivers. I'm wondering if it's the drivers or if it might be something with the Hot Spot app. I've already started another thread a few weeks ago. I'll post a link when I get to 10 posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    But, my first question is: Did you try it with another device such as a laptop? You need to be able to compare at least two devices, hopefully connected at the same time.
    I was able to do this with my laptops. Both were running Ubuntu 9.10 and both had Intel wireless cards, but I was using a backport-module on one (the latest wifi drivers). The one with the backports wouldn't work with the Hot Spot. It would constantly drop the connection and was really slow. The the other one worked fine. I removed the backports-module and it worked fine. Both laptops worked fine using Windows, but when I tried the latest release of Ubuntu (10.04, which I assume uses the same wireless drivers as the 9.10 backports-module did) and neither laptop worked with the Hot Spot. I was thinking it had to be the latest Intel drivers for Linux, but if the Apple users are having these issues it might have something to do with the Hot Spot app. I would love to know if the OP's Hot Spot works with a laptop using Windows and then running Ubuntu 10.04 Live (off of a flash drive.)
    This is a known issue. The iPod is incompatible with the palm pre. My iPod has horrendously slow speeds through my palm. Always less than 100 kbs. Luckily my iPad gets the same speeds as my palm pre. Not sure if it's the Palm at faulty or the iPod. Since my iPod gets great speeds through other wifi routers, there are to be a problem with the palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    This is a known issue. The iPod is incompatible with the palm pre. My iPod has horrendously slow speeds through my palm. Always less than 100 kbs. Luckily my iPad gets the same speeds as my palm pre. Not sure if it's the Palm at faulty or the iPod. Since my iPod gets great speeds through other wifi routers, there are to be a problem with the palm.
    If it is known, do we also know if it is a Palm issue or another example of Mr Jobs trying to limit the flexibility of his products?
    If it is known, do we also know if it is a Palm issue or another example of Mr Jobs trying to limit the flexibility of his products?
    If my iPod touch works fine on every other wifi router I tested, but not the palm, who would you point the finger at? I really don't think steve jobs cares about the palm hot spot that he would somehow make his devices not work with a company that virtually no longer has an impact on the industry. I think palm needs to fine tune their software.
    Here is something that I noticed while connecting different devices to MHS. When I connect the iPad and MacBook to MHS I get the same speeds that the palm itself gets. The iPod always below 100 Kbs. What is different is when I connect the iPad and MacBook to MHS, on the palm MHS app the device name given to both are the Mac addresses of those devices. Oddly, when connecting the iPod, the Mac address is not listed as device name, instead it is listed as iPod-Touch. Could perhaps the problem with the iPod touch be that it is not broadcasting the Mac address as it's name? I would be curious if those who are getting a fast connection with their iPod touch, see if the palm MHS is listing the Mac address as connected device name or iPod-touch. On a side note, I am consistently getting 200 to 400 Kbs speeds in my house. However, when I moved my palm to a window sill with the back leaning up against the window, I increased the speeds on MHS to 600 to 700 Kbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    If my iPod touch works fine on every other wifi router I tested, but not the palm, who would you point the finger at? I really don't think steve jobs cares about the palm hot spot that he would somehow make his devices not work with a company that virtually no longer has an impact on the industry. I think palm needs to fine tune their software.
    well, if my palm hotspot works with everything but iPod/iPad, who shoild I point to?
    and don't kid yourself. Apple and at&t have worked hard to control what you can do with apple products.
    well, if my palm hotspot works with everything but iPod/iPad, who shoild I point to?
    So why does my iPad work great with the palm, and your doesn't? I guess steve is looking out for me and allowing my iPad to work just fine connected to the palm. 500 to 700 Kbs at home and 1.2 to 1.6 Mbs at work. Again, it's not the fault of apple if mine works perfectly attached to the palm.
    now I'm confused. I thought the issue is your ipad or ipad connection was poor.

I don't own either of those. I was speaking figuratively in response to your post. I need a nap.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by easymacfu View Post
    I've seen the threads, but they just seem to die down without any resolutions. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but could someone help me out with the following:

I'm attempting to use my Verizon Pre Plus as a hot spot for my iPod Touch. For the better part of a year, I was using my Touch Diamond as a wifi hot spot for my Touch. I was consistently getting at least 150-300 kB/s that way at work (work being the 13th floor of a 17 floor building, 15 feet from a window).

I decided to upgrade to a Pre Plus this week. I love it, except that the hot spot is absolutely atrocious.

I've run numerous speed tests, and to say the hot spot is pathetic would be an understatement, and that's when I don't get randomly disconnected.

My numbers on the pre plus hot spot (kB/s):
    Code:
    Down     Up
    2.6      10.8
    3.2      4.0
    1.8      0.1
    2.2      7.8
    7.8      4.2
    13.0     60.0
    1.5      13.0
    I could keep going, but it doesn't get any better. It was decidedly better at home, with 50-70 kB/s, but still a far cry from what I was getting on the diamond.

Meanwhile, on the Pre itself, I'm getting about 200-300 kB/s, but for some reason, it's not trickling to the hot spot program. And using the Touch on my home network, I get between 500-600 kB/s (I hate Charter, btw).

I've read through the threads and tried the auto-DNS settings, but that didn't help. I've looked for an "Update Network" button on the phone, but that doesn't seem to exist on my Pre Plus. I've read through the various threads, and it seems it works great for some people, not at all for others.

Does anyone know if this is a general problem, is it the way the ipod touch requests data, is it just my phone and I need to see if I can get a new one?

I really love the Pre, and the hot spot is not essential, but I've gotten used to streaming videos to my touch at lunch and there are just certain ipod applications I use that aren't available on the Pre. Plus it was one of the main reasons I got the phone, so for it not to work could impact whether I'm keeping it or not.

I apologize for rambling.
    its because you are on the 17th floor. the transmitter/receivers are focused on ground level, maybe a few stories above that. Also, buildings that tall tend to be constructed of concrete and steel. Both of those are excellent at blocking radio waves.