Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. chaznsc's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    295 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hello,
    I am a Verizon customer and carry a Blackberry Curve. Been very happy with it, but my contract will renew soon and am considering the Pre. I have a few questions I thought you all could help me with as I make a decision.

    1 - Does the Pre work with Exchange Server 2003? My BB works flawlessly with my Blackberry server connection to Exchange, even faster than my desktop outlook client! Access to my calendar, contacts and email is critical. I handle the exchange administration so thats not an issue.

    2 - The hot spot option is a huge consideration for me. If I am using the hot spot feature does the phone feature work at the same time? For instance, If I am online with my iPad or iPod Touch via the Pre hot spot and a call comes in, what happens?

    3 - Hows the battery life on a daily basis?

    I will probably have a few more questions but those are my priority questions right now.

    Thanks!

    chaz
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by chaznsc View Post
    Hello,
    I am a Verizon customer and carry a Blackberry Curve. Been very happy with it, but my contract will renew soon and am considering the Pre. I have a few questions I thought you all could help me with as I make a decision.

    1 - Does the Pre work with Exchange Server 2003? My BB works flawlessly with my Blackberry server connection to Exchange, even faster than my desktop outlook client! Access to my calendar, contacts and email is critical. I handle the exchange administration so thats not an issue.



    2 - The hot spot option is a huge consideration for me. If I am using the hot spot feature does the phone feature work at the same time? For instance, If I am online with my iPad or iPod Touch via the Pre hot spot and a call comes in, what happens?


    3 - Hows the battery life on a daily basis?


    I will probably have a few more questions but those are my priority questions right now.

    Thanks!

    chaz
    1. Yes
    2. I believe that mobile hotspot uses EVDO. CDMA technology as you know doesn't allow for simultaneous voice and data. I think that the call gets priority and your connection is dropped. That was my experience in terms of using EVDO and a voice call comes in.

    3. Your mileage will vary based on how you use the device. When I had the PP on V I my battery would last all day into the night. However, I didn't have 100 emails a day coming through Exchange. Again, your mileage will be different than someone else. You'll have to give us a example of your daily usage.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  3. chaznsc's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    295 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    1. Yes
    2. I believe that mobile hotspot uses EVDO. CDMA technology as you know doesn't allow for simultaneous voice and data. I think that the call gets priority and your connection is dropped. That was my experience in terms of using EVDO and a voice call comes in.

    3. Your mileage will vary based on how you use the device. When I had the PP on V I my battery would last all day into the night. However, I didn't have 100 emails a day coming through Exchange. Again, your mileage will be different than someone else. You'll have to give us a example of your daily usage.
    Thank you for the response. I would say I am a heavy user on email. 35-55 a day perhaps. My Blackberry can go 2+ days on a single charge and the phone is almost 2 years old.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by chaznsc View Post
    Thank you for the response. I would say I am a heavy user on email. 35-55 a day perhaps. My Blackberry can go 2+ days on a single charge and the phone is almost 2 years old.
    I don't think you're going to get 2+ days. Besides email, do you browse the web, play games, use Pandora and other stuff like that. If so, that'll hurt your battery life as well. Generally speaking, the battery life on webOS devices isn't as strong as BB but neither are most other smartphone batteries. Again, you'll have to test it out for yourself in real world situations. I have a touchstone for my desk at work and that maybe something you want to look into if you're going to be doing everything I mentioned.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  5. #5  
    You CAN however, use the phone's data connection concurrent to tethering your phone. As you know, this is not possible with the Curve.

    And as an aside, the reason Curves go so long on battery is that all data is routed through RIM's servers and is compressed, which means shorter radio packet transmissions. Unfortunately, this also means a single point of failure, and an extra choke point. Blackberry has had a few snafus in the past with the servers not cooperating.
  6. chaznsc's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    295 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckinGeek View Post
    You CAN however, use the phone's data connection concurrent to tethering your phone. As you know, this is not possible with the Curve.

    And as an aside, the reason Curves go so long on battery is that all data is routed through RIM's servers and is compressed, which means shorter radio packet transmissions. Unfortunately, this also means a single point of failure, and an extra choke point. Blackberry has had a few snafus in the past with the servers not cooperating.
    So if my ipod touch is WiFi-ing using the phone as a hot spot, I can talk at the same time?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by chaznsc View Post
    Hello,
    I am a Verizon customer and carry a Blackberry Curve. Been very happy with it, but my contract will renew soon and am considering the Pre. I have a few questions I thought you all could help me with as I make a decision.

    1 - Does the Pre work with Exchange Server 2003? My BB works flawlessly with my Blackberry server connection to Exchange, even faster than my desktop outlook client! Access to my calendar, contacts and email is critical. I handle the exchange administration so thats not an issue.

    2 - The hot spot option is a huge consideration for me. If I am using the hot spot feature does the phone feature work at the same time? For instance, If I am online with my iPad or iPod Touch via the Pre hot spot and a call comes in, what happens?

    3 - Hows the battery life on a daily basis?

    I will probably have a few more questions but those are my priority questions right now.

    Thanks!

    chaz
    For answering number 1, you might want to enlist the help of someone here to test your exchange server specifically. Create a test email account and provide the info via PM. Have them send and receive a few emails as well as test the other features that you need so you will know for sure.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by chaznsc View Post
    So if my ipod touch is WiFi-ing using the phone as a hot spot, I can talk at the same time?
    No. What that poster was saying is that you can surf on the PP while other users are surfing on their connected devices. Again, it's a limitation of the Rev A CDMA technology. It doesn't matter that your Ipod Touch is connecting to the mobile hotspot via wifi b/c that is how the other users will connect. What matters is that mobile hotspot uses EVDO for 3G. Again, that doesn't allow for talking and surfing at the same time. Your call will get priority and your data connection will drop.

    If you want data and voice at the same time get the Pre Plus on ATT on May 16th. However, the ATT Pre Plus will not have mobile hotspot as it is a V exclusive.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by chaznsc View Post
    So if my ipod touch is WiFi-ing using the phone as a hot spot, I can talk at the same time?
    Your tethered wifi connection will not drop, but your data flow will stop until the phone call ends.
  10. chaznsc's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    295 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Your tethered wifi connection will not drop, but your data flow will stop until the phone call ends.
    Ok, that helps. I dont "talk" as much as most folks so that part doesnt scare me.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    However, the ATT Pre Plus will not have mobile hotspot as it is a V exclusive.
    Use MyTether.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Your tethered wifi connection will not drop, but your data flow will stop until the phone call ends.
    Right. The Ipod will still be tethered or any other device. The Ipod or laptop however, will not be able to surf or until the call has ended.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Use MyTether.
    But that is Homebrew. I'm gonna stay away from the homebrew stuff. I wish that ATT did include it. But then again I wouldn't use it.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    But that is Homebrew. I'm gonna stay away from the homebrew stuff. I wish that ATT did include it. But then again I wouldn't use it.
    There's no reason to stay away from Homebrew apps. They won't void your warranty. Unless it's just a personal preference.

    I would not be satisfied with my Pre without the patches and apps that have allowed me to customize my Pre for the way I use the device. That is what makes WebOS such a great OS for mobile devices.

    Now, I do overclock, which you should avoid unless you are willing to risk having to replace your phone on your own dime. But so far so good. I like the extra speed. But I could live without it, but not my patches and other homebrew apps.

    Two days ago I ran at the default 500 MHz all day just to establish a benchmark from it to the fixed 800 MHz I like to run. The actual time difference for opening a given app is minimal but the percentage of speed increase is close 100%. For example...

    500 MHz time for most apps to open = 2 seconds (pulse or glow around the icon on the card while the app loads = ~ 1 second).

    800 MHz time for most apps to open = 1 second or less (phone and email open instantly with no loading card at all)

    Nothing really makes a consistent difference on Google maps so I dont even bother to reference it.
  15. VKitty's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by chaznsc View Post
    So if my ipod touch is WiFi-ing using the phone as a hot spot, I can talk at the same time?
    Yes, only on AT&T ..
  16. #16  
    We have both a Sprint Pre and a Verizon Pre + on our 2003 Exchange Server and both were easy to set up and have worked flawlessly. I would echo Playboy and suggest getting a Touchstone for your desk. Because it is such a great OS, you end up using it more than most phones, so the battery drains pretty quickly. I did get the slightly larger battery to help, but I still charge during the day to be sure it is available to "play" at night.

    Also, the Homebrew is great! Even little things like ending the call by closing the slider make the phone work even better. With the auto-updating patching, it is really very simple to do.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by deberbach View Post
    I would echo Playboy and suggest getting a Touchstone for your desk. Because it is such a great OS, you end up using it more than most phones, so the battery drains pretty quickly.
    Ditto on the TS...

    I have one at home on the night stand, one on my desk directly in front of my keyboard and one in the car.

    If and when you use the usb port... be VERY CAREFUL and once you get the top edge moving out, move your finger nail down to the bottom and gently and slowly pull from there. If not YOU WILL end up with the USB to screen crack that comes from the bottom corner of that opening. I have had it before but have been super cautious with this Pre to ensure it doesn't happen. Having the TS everywhere makes me need to open that door even less.
  18. VKitty's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    However, the ATT Pre Plus will not have mobile hotspot as it is a V exclusive.

    Actually you can get the mobile hotspot program and possibly use it on AT&T. They have got it to work on Sprint ::smile::
  19. VKitty's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by deberbach View Post
    suggest getting a Touchstone for your desk.

    The Touchstone are now $19.99 at Radio Shack. So, I would say definitely get one ::smile::
  20. #20  
    To answer number 3 the battery is pretty horrible IMO. I always have to charge troughout the day and I use modeswitcher which helps but the battery still sucks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions