1.    #1  
    I think Verizon's latest efforts are starting to take some effect. I frequent an alumni board where we talk about mostly sports from our alma mater but also random things... one is smartphones as people ditch their dumbphones and upgrade.

In the past I see comment after comment to get either the iPhone or the latest Android device... until the last 2 weeks I am seeing more and more people asking about the Pre Plus and others saying how great it is.

I am known for being the Palm fandude on the site so now that people are chiming in and saying positive things about webOS I can sit back a little bit and back away from the soap box a little and have my previous comments validated by others.

Anyways just thought it was an observation worth sharing, this along with seeing more Pres in the wild make me think that things are getting a little better.
    Last edited by gksspot555; 05/06/2010 at 11:24 PM. Reason: spelling
    Joe Dirt: Well, I see you got those snakes and sparklers. But where's the good stuff man?
    Kicking Wing: Good stuff? This is the good stuff, snakes and sparklers.
    Joe Dirt: Are you nuts dude? You need stuff that'll explode. Go *boom*!
    Kicking Wing: Why is that good?
    Joe Dirt: Well, huh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good?
    Nice. Palm's (and Modernista's) suck azz ads did them in. I have not had ONE person out of the 24 I'd demo'd the Pre to give me a "Meh" response. They were either impressed or blown away...even jebusPhone users (who pulled the 'app card' to bolster their egos )

So now that the ads have greatly improved and people see what the Pre actually IS...they will fall in line.

/field of dreams

"If you show it...they will come."

/field of dreams

lol
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I completely agree, I went to a family / friend party last weeknd with about 50 people, outside of my direct family (We have 4 Pre's & 3 Pixi's)... I saw 7 other people with Pre's & Pixi's
    It was roughly 1/2 & 1/2 btw it being Sprint & Verizon... I was blown away.

Of course I couldn't resist but I told everyone about patching & Precentral...

I love seeing this for a simple reason, hopefully it won't be such a stumble out the gate with their new Devices, esp with big bucks to help & with more people out there with the original 2 Phones.. Just means more poeple that would switch to the new ones...
    Last edited by mrkalel; 05/07/2010 at 08:00 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    I got mine due to pricing. $30 for a Pre plus??!?! thats incredible!(by the way the incredible is 200 and not that incredible)
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I have noticed many more "Considering a Pre" or "New Pre owner" posts on the forums here. Brings a smile to my face every time I see them.

Whatever they are doing it is starting to get people to look at the phone. Once people look at it they see how great it is.

Take Care
    We do need a new pre owner and a goodbye pre thread category. Mods make it happen! So new users all have a very special place.
    Quote Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
    I got mine due to pricing. $30 for a Pre plus??!?! thats incredible!(by the way the incredible is 200 and not that incredible)
    That's incredible that you got the PP for $30. Some say that the Incredible is incredible but the price is incredulous therefore, making it not so incredible. But the PP is an incredible device.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    There's no way that firesale pricing wouldn't work to some extent. I mean, they are practically giving them away, and that's very effective with Verizon customers who are more sensitive to less upfront money. They don't seem to care about the exorbitant monthly rates or they do care but think the service is worth it.

The question is whether we can see consistently robust sales with a new device priced on par with the rest of the market instead of way, way below it. We shall see, but I think HP/Palm is capable of doing it. Once they get TV marketing down pat and relaunch the OS with a new device, I can see this happening for them. But I think that may be a ways off.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I agree, but Palm did not have the $100 million to spend on marketing to sell the phone on par with the rest of the market. (has any android phone sold really well besides Droid?) Palm did the next best thing they could to get webos out there. HP can put up the $100 million and hopefully for a slew of devices. I'm not sure the c40/next Palm device will get the big push though.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    I agree, but Palm did not have the $100 million to spend on marketing to sell the phone on par with the rest of the market. (has any android phone sold really well besides Droid?) Palm did the next best thing they could to get webos out there. HP can put up the $100 million and hopefully for a slew of devices. I'm not sure the c40/next Palm device will get the big push though.
    I'm pretty sure Verizon was the driver of these rock bottom prices and the free mobile hotspot service, not Palm. Otherwise, why would Sprint be sky high in comparison? (Strictly on the Pre, not the Pixi)

Also - according to the financials disclosed in wake of the HP deal - Palm spent around $500 million in sales, marketing, and research/development combined for WebOS in the past year. While I'm sure research and development took up the vast majority of that, it suggests Palm did have the money to spend initially, but squandered it on horrible, ineffective ads that actually damaged the brand. HP will no doubt double that, and I think their "celebrity hands" ads were definitely more memorable and effective than anything Palm has ever done. So I'm hopeful on that front.

But I still don't think we'll see anything new for quite some time. They are JUST launching the Pre Plus on AT&T and still getting rid of quite a backlog of Pre and Pixi phones elsewhere since Sprint and Verizon continue to lower prices. I believe there will be a considerable lull, and we'll have a better idea at what comes next by, say, October?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    and we'll have a better idea at what comes next by, say, October?
    Kill me now if that is the truth. If we have to wait until Oct for a new model I think I will have left already
    Joe Dirt: Well, I see you got those snakes and sparklers. But where's the good stuff man?
    Kicking Wing: Good stuff? This is the good stuff, snakes and sparklers.
    Joe Dirt: Are you nuts dude? You need stuff that'll explode. Go *boom*!
    Kicking Wing: Why is that good?
    Joe Dirt: Well, huh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good?
    Man! you folks are impatient when it comes to a phone. If you like the platform just stick with it. I wanted to stick with a Palm because I like them and they are different. I had a Treo my last two phones. I don't want the same stuff everyone else has. I waited a over a year for Verizon to get the Pre, because I wanted to stick with them and not move over to Sprint. I can wait a year or two for the new Pre. No big deal. After all it is still just a freaking phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimOhara View Post
    Man! you folks are impatient when it comes to a phone. If you like the platform just stick with it. I wanted to stick with a Palm because I like them and they are different. I had a Treo my last two phones. I don't want the same stuff everyone else has. I waited a over a year for Verizon to get the Pre, because I wanted to stick with them and not move over to Sprint. I can wait a year or two for the new Pre. No big deal. After all it is still just a freaking phone.
    In my case, I'm not that sure that my current Pre will last "a year or two". This is my 7th, and it's already started to oreo slightly and show yellow screen blotching on the right side.

I like this device...I really do. But I've only needed one Hero since October, and have needed three Pre phones since then. Until Palm and HP release sturdier and faster hardware, I will probably relegate the Pre to my fun, casual backup device later this year/whenever this 7th Pre fails.
    Speaking of yellow blotches I been having them since July and haven't replaced my phone since I got it in June. I had no kind of problems besides the usb crack which isn't cover under warranty. I still want to use my one year warranty to get a nice new pre but is the blotching covered? What is covered under one year warranty?
    I have to say that the Verizon pricing and promotions sucked my wife and I in. The mobile hotspot is very useful when I need it and I love the Pre more than any phone I've had before, free or not! I had an iPhone at my last place and outside of battery life, I love the Pre much more. Love this user commnuity too, icing on a delicious cake.
    I'm pretty sure Verizon was the driver of these rock bottom prices and the free mobile hotspot service, not Palm. Otherwise, why would Sprint be sky high in comparison? (Strictly on the Pre, not the Pixi)
    Except that there were similar pricing for Sprint phones, just not directly through Sprint. My wife got a Pixi at Best Buy for $29 in November. If she'd been a new customer, she could have done it elswhere for $25. Not as low as VZ's current offerings, but still low.
    But I still don't think we'll see anything new for quite some time. They are JUST launching the Pre Plus on AT&T and still getting rid of quite a backlog of Pre and Pixi phones elsewhere since Sprint and Verizon continue to lower prices. I believe there will be a considerable lull, and we'll have a better idea at what comes next by, say, October?
    I wouldn't be surprised to see something before October. Even though ATT is just now getting it, Sprint's had it for a year, they're primed for something new. Not having that "something new" on another network wouldn't be enough to make Palm wait (in my opinion). Especially if you consider the slow sales that Palm is having.

Another note on the sudden "sightings", I remember the same thing happening with the Centro when it dropped to $50. Suddnely, they were showing up everywhere.
    I have seen more Pre's in the past 2 weeks than I have in the past 6 months combined.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    As someone who just received his Pre Plus today I can't say that advertising had an effect on my decision but the $30 price tag sure did. I was looking to make the move from an LG Dare to the Droid Eris but when the Pre Plus dropped to $49 I started to seriously consider buying it instead. After lurking around this forum for a few weeks I began to worry about the quality of the hardware. Luckily it looks like the 1.4.1 update fixed the keyboard issue and I decided I could live with any oreo effect and I also found some workarounds for for various other issues so I figured for $30 it was worth a shot.
    Clearly the lower prices have had an impact on sales. I got it for $20 with my new every 2 upgrade, and that was a steal. My Pre+ has been solid as a rock. The keyboard is the weakest part of the phone, but considering the thin backing it has, that's not all that surprising. But the phone feels every bit as solid as my 8330 Curve did.

I love this phone. See no reason to upgrade unless Palm comes out with a better version of it. I don't generally like sliders, but this phone's combination of form factor and WebOS, combined with its easy pocketability, is just something I absolutely love and one of the many reasons why I wouldn't switch to any Droid phone or the iPhone. And yes, that includes the Evo. Android, even with HTC's Sense, is just not in the same league, IMHO.