Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

    I am once again bowing to the seemingly infinite knowledge you fellow WebOS lovers. I recently took my (sprint) pre into the shop for what seems to be a blown loudspeaker. Ringtones, speakerphone, music, anything coming from that speaker is very distorted, if not downright ratty. The tech informed me that he would have to do a hard reset because software can cause this problem. I told him no, because of all the time i have spent getting it where i want it, i.e., fast (800mhz) and pretty as well as functional. I have a hard time believing software can do this. Does this sound legitimate? if so, is running the WebOS Doctor essentially the same as the hard reset a tech would do? i have noticed some other quirks popping up lately, such as the screen sometimes not turning on for up to 10 or 15 seconds and only after hitting many buttons, such as the center button and/ or the power button.

    Also, if i do this, i was wondering if there was a way to get the contacts that i happen to have in my palm profile over to my google contacts so that my main sync is google. i figure i might as well do it all at once if possible. And will i have to repay for apps i have already paid for? Or will everything remember me?

    Any help is much appreciated! Thank you in advance!
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by njackson580 View Post
    Hey guys,

    I am once again bowing to the seemingly infinite knowledge you fellow WebOS lovers. I recently took my (sprint) pre into the shop for what seems to be a blown loudspeaker. Ringtones, speakerphone, music, anything coming from that speaker is very distorted, if not downright ratty. The tech informed me that he would have to do a hard reset because software can cause this problem. I told him no, because of all the time i have spent getting it where i want it, i.e., fast (800mhz) and pretty as well as functional. I have a hard time believing software can do this. Does this sound legitimate? if so, is running the WebOS Doctor essentially the same as the hard reset a tech would do? i have noticed some other quirks popping up lately, such as the screen sometimes not turning on for up to 10 or 15 seconds and only after hitting many buttons, such as the center button and/ or the power button.

    Also, if i do this, i was wondering if there was a way to get the contacts that i happen to have in my palm profile over to my google contacts so that my main sync is google. i figure i might as well do it all at once if possible. And will i have to repay for apps i have already paid for? Or will everything remember me?

    Any help is much appreciated! Thank you in advance!
    Okay.... all of your Palm Apps, your contacts and your notes will come back when you reload your Palm Profile.

    Your Patches and non-app catalogue apps will have to be re-installed but with Save-Restore, that process should be much easier.

    Everything in the USB portion of your Pre will still be there if you are using the most recent WebOS Dr.

    So Dr. away.
  3. #3  
    Pastor,
    Are you sure about the Palm Profile working correctly? Many, many users have lost critical contacts because the palm profile failed to work as advertised. I lost all but 4 of my contacts because the palm profile didn't work and palm tech support could not restore them. Because of this, I use google exclusively for contact and calendar. If you have knowledge of Palm fixing the problems with the profile, I would be interested in hearing it. I would love to be able to trust the profile again.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach447 View Post
    Pastor,
    Are you sure about the Palm Profile working correctly? Many, many users have lost critical contacts because the palm profile failed to work as advertised. I lost all but 4 of my contacts because the palm profile didn't work and palm tech support could not restore them. Because of this, I use google exclusively for contact and calendar. If you have knowledge of Palm fixing the problems with the profile, I would be interested in hearing it. I would love to be able to trust the profile again.
    Sure as a heart attack. I had my pre replaced a few weeks ago and lost all but the last contact I added. All my notes were gone, but all my apps came back. I waited overnight to see if it would somehow catch up and nothing. So I called Sprint and they gave me a number to call Palm.

    I spent a few minutes going through the menus and answering info for the techs. They check your hardware warranty status, but since it is only your profile it is free anyway. They could see where it appeared I lost my data about ten days prior, they used the backup just prior to that, had me do a partial erase to reload my profile and voila... all my notes, contacts and apps were back just like before.

    They don't care about your music or pics, but since Palm has been such a business friendly company, they make sure they can get your contacts and notes back.

    But if you aren't sure, just use the email all contacts patch to send them to another email address prior to the Dr.
  5. #5  
    Ok, but no offense intended I'll stick with Google for my contacts and calendar.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach447 View Post
    Ok, but no offense intended I'll stick with Google for my contacts and calendar.
    None taken. Whatever you feel comfortable with is what's important.
  7. #7  
    FWIW I have gone through 3 Pres and the palm profile got everything back fine.
  8.    #8  
    I wasnt aware of that email all contact patch. if i were to email all my contacts to my current gmail account (i assume it would be in vcard.vcf format) could i essentially delete all my gmail contacts, reload my phone, delete my palm contacts, import the sent vcard into my google contacts, then sync so that everyone is my google contacts without duplicates?
  9. #9  
    losing text messages isn't a big deal, but you could always forward them as emails in order to save them
    Last edited by AOW; 05/07/2010 at 02:29 AM.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by njackson580 View Post
    I wasnt aware of that email all contact patch. if i were to email all my contacts to my current gmail account (i assume it would be in vcard.vcf format) could i essentially delete all my gmail contacts, reload my phone, delete my palm contacts, import the sent vcard into my google contacts, then sync so that everyone is my google contacts without duplicates?

    Yes it is in vcard.vcf format.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by AOW View Post
    losing text messages isn't a big deal, but you could always forward them as emails in order to save them
    There are several threads here for how to save and restore your text messages (and a lot of other data too). I haven't ever used any of the methods but many apparently have. So that shouldn't be a problem either.

Posting Permissions