Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know I'm not the only one with this problem, but for those who have not heard or had the problem...
    When I installed Uber-Kernel, I was floored. At least for me it worked better than the 800 MHz patch, and with Govnah I had more control over my pre than ever before. However, I suddenly lost the Universal Search feature. I did a bit of searching and found a few others who seem to have had the same problem, although some didn't seem to think that was the only explanation. I removed the kernel and US did not come back. I installed the other 2 stock kernels and it did not come back. i doctored my phone, and presto. Back.
    I wasn't sure if it was just my phone, so I tested my wife's phone in the same order, and sure enough, same thing. Both of us had the 800 MHz patch installed before, and did an uninstall before picking up Uber-Kernel.
    Right now we both have reinstalled the Uber-Kernel and Govnah, and are missing US. I'm stuck deciding what to do. I love the speed of the pre when overclocked, but I never realized how much I used Universal Search, and not having it is killing me. That said, does anyone know if there has been anything figured out about why US is disappearing when Uber-Kernel is installed? Also, is there anyone out there who didn't have the 800MHz patch installed before installing Uber-Kernel? I'm curious as to whether it is the Uber-Kernel alone which is causing this issue, or if the 800 MHz patch possible leaves something behind that interacts with the UK, causing US to malfunction. Any thoughts?
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    I've used the original script, the unixpsycho kernel before SPK and now UK. I actually switched a few times between the two just to test. I've had no issues with US. You might want to list other patches.
    I would run WebOSDoctor on your phone, and then reinstall the uber kernel and govnah. I just installed both of these a few hours ago on my phone and Universal Search is working just fine for me. WebOSDoctor usually will fix any problems, though wiping your phone clean, it gets the job done.

Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    I would run WebOSDoctor on your phone, and then reinstall the uber kernel and govnah. I just installed both of these a few hours ago on my phone and Universal Search is working just fine for me. WebOSDoctor usually will fix any problems, though wiping your phone clean, it gets the job done.

Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    I've doctored my phone, and repeated every step. No change. Right now I'm in the processes of going through the patches, combining them with UK, and testing whether there is one that may affect US. My first thought was that it was caused by the patch to add Bing and Yahoo to US, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

I loaded preware this AM. Stock until then. I have 'Bing & Yahoo' with UK and Govnah. My US works perfectly.

never had any other kernels.

Sprint Pre
    yeah, i have the uber kernel and had unix's compcache kernel before that and have never had a problem with universal search... i'm not saying its not the uber kernel, but more than likely its a patch of some sorts. Have you tried doing a full erase then doctoring? the doctor stopped wiping the usb partition after one of the updates and something may be getting stuck in there
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    I've doctored my phone, and repeated every step. No change. Right now I'm in the processes of going through the patches, combining them with UK, and testing whether there is one that may affect US. My first thought was that it was caused by the patch to add Bing and Yahoo to US, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    If you are able to reproduce the problem after a fresh full erase and WebOS Doctor, without installing any other applications, patches, kernels, themes, scripts or such other than Preware, Package Manager Service, Uber-Kernel and Govnah, then please PM and we will work one-on-one with you to debug.

The kernel and govnah don't touch anything even remotely associated with universal search, so we must assume it is something else until someone can provide the above isolated repeatable test case.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    I loaded preware this AM. Stock until then. I have 'Bing & Yahoo' with UK and Govnah. My US works perfectly.

never had any other kernels.

Sprint Pre
    I should mention that I have a Sprint Pre as well. My wife's is a Launch Day (one of the FEW lucky ones), and I have a referb after my 4th pre kicked it a month ago.

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If you are able to reproduce the problem after a fresh full erase and WebOS Doctor, without installing any other applications, patches, kernels, themes, scripts or such other than Preware, Package Manager Service, Uber-Kernel and Govnah, then please PM and we will work one-on-one with you to debug.

The kernel and govnah don't touch anything even remotely associated with universal search, so we must assume it is something else until someone can provide the above isolated repeatable test case.

-- Rod
    Will do. It's odd that so many are having the problem. I was hoping it would just be my phone in this house, but her phone caught the same bug. I'll let you know what I find out.
    I've said it before, but thanks again for all you and the other dev's do here. Every day seems to bring something new. Keeps this phone fresh as I wait, with fingers crossed, for the C40, Pre2......

10.    #10  
    One thing I forgot to mention, and I could kick myself for not documenting, is that on both phones, when I uninstalled the 800 MHz patch and restarted, then tried to install the UK, I got an IPKG Error stating that it couldn't be installed. I instead installed the stock kernel, and then installed the UK, which worked fine. I'm not sure if the US stopped working after the first kernel reset or after the UK was installed.

11.    #11  
    Just got done doctoring. With Package Mgr, Preware, UK and Govnah installed, my US is back and working. So what I know is tha without anything installed, on a fresh pre running 1.4.1, UK and Govnah work fine and don't affect US. It is either one of, or a combination of, having installed and the uninstalling the 800 MHz patch, having patches installed, and then installing the UK and Govnah. I don't want to list every patch that I had, because there are a ton, but here are those on my wife's pre:
    Hide nascar/amazon/music player
    4x4 Icons V3
    Ad Blocker
    Audio/Video Attachments
    Enable Add/Delete Pages
    Enable Dialpad Vibration
    Enable Landscape Email
    Flashlight in device menu
    Match State to Area Code
    Read/Delete All Email
    Video Camera Flashlight
    Video Downloads (YouTube)
    Along with all accompanying services and Linux applications.

my phone has been laging since I installed this -_- it gets me so mad
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    I really don't know how to respond to a statement like this.

What are your expectations of action from someone reading your post?

-- Rod
    Just got done doctoring. With Package Mgr, Preware, UK and Govnah installed, my US is back and working. So what I know is tha without anything installed, on a fresh pre running 1.4.1, UK and Govnah work fine and don't affect US. It is either one of, or a combination of, having installed and the uninstalling the 800 MHz patch, having patches installed, and then installing the UK and Govnah. I don't want to list every patch that I had, because there are a ton, but here are those on my wife's pre:
    Hide nascar/amazon/music player
    4x4 Icons V3
    Ad Blocker
    Audio/Video Attachments
    Enable Add/Delete Pages
    Enable Dialpad Vibration
    Enable Landscape Email
    Flashlight in device menu
    Match State to Area Code
    Read/Delete All Email
    Video Camera Flashlight
    Video Downloads (YouTube)
    Along with all accompanying services and Linux applications.
    Good. That matches my technical understanding of the possible interference vectors.

-- Rod
  15.    #15  
    Ran EPR with wife's pre and US still does not work. Looks like the only option to get past this is to Doctor, and Doctor again if it doesn't work the first time. Any thoughts on what might have caused this?

Do a search on the forum for LunaSysMgr and PmNetConfigManager and md5sum, and verify that those files are pristine.

-- Rod
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Do a search on the forum for LunaSysMgr and PmNetConfigManager and md5sum, and verify that those files are pristine.

-- Rod
    Will do. Going o bed now, so check in the am.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    mine was also, especially in the camera app...until the update for uk came out yesterday. it still lags once in a while in other areas (not much or often but more often than before installing uk. but i've noticed that when it happens it's BEFORE i change the settings from the default settings (userspace with 125mhz min)...once i change that the lag usually stops...well from what i can tell
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    One thing I forgot to mention, and I could kick myself for not documenting, is that on both phones, when I uninstalled the 800 MHz patch and restarted, then tried to install the UK, I got an IPKG Error stating that it couldn't be installed. I instead installed the stock kernel, and then installed the UK, which worked fine. I'm not sure if the US stopped working after the first kernel reset or after the UK was installed.
    I am also having this problem. I had the 800Mhz patch installed, then read about uber kernal. I uninstalled the patch and restarted. I then tried to install UK and got the error. I installed the stock kernal and then installed the UK. All was working fine, then noticed yesterday that universal search wasn't working. I haven't done anything to the phone since the US was working except the kernal stuff. My search was working fine the other day and it only stopped working after changing the kernals. I do have a lot of patches and a theme installed but search was working fine with all of that. The only thing that has changed is the kernal and that is when the universal search stopped working. I'm not blaming the kernal, but I know something happened to break the search when I changed kernals. Hope someone can figure this out soon. I don't want to doctor, but I will in a few days if the issue doesn't get worked out. Not scared to doctor, have done it a few times and I'm on my 7th Pre anyway. I just don't feel like hassling with it and setting everything up again...Oh also, thanks to all the devs, you've made this the best phone I have ever had!

-Jojo
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Oh yeah, this is the other thread with a bunch of people having the same problem:

h**p://forums.precentral.net/webos-apps-software/239759-universal-search-not-working-not-showing-apps-contacts-5.html

Sorry, my post count isn't high enough to post links...Please replace ** with "tt". Thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast