1.    #1  
    Can you turn this off? I love my spanglish words I've made up and this damn phone keeps correcting them, it's annoying!!!

I was typing my buddy about rims (wheels), I typed what size rim you like... he got what size TIM you like? ***!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRican View Post
    Can you turn this off? I love my spanglish words I've made up and this damn phone keeps correcting them, it's annoying!!!

I was typing my buddy about rims (wheels), I typed what size rim you like... he got what size TIM you like? ***!!!
    What size Tim??? I won't touch that one with Tim's 10in pole.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    try this, http://forums.precentral.net/general-webos-chat/231763-advanced-tutorial-view-edit-autocorrect-dictionary-free.html

you can customise words, or you can just clear the file if you really don't want any autocorrections

edit: by clear the file, I mean receive the auto-replace from phone, notepad and delete all words, then resend the plain file back to the phone.
    follow the instructions and you can't go wrong
    I only had problems when i used the patch for 3000 autocorrect words. Everytime I would try and type "Bud" to my son it would change to "bus" after I hit the space bar.

The worst was when I was typing a church member a note and mentioned his wife "Kay" and it changed it to "Lay"..... I wasn't impressed

Anyway I removed the patch and no more problems. I can spell however I want now, but still have the basic 100 word autocorrect patch installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Aw hell yeah! Thank you! I'm German but I really couldn't care less about my UI language. The only thing keeping me on the German language setting is easier Umlauts (sym-vocal-sym). However, I write a lot of english texts and emails on my Pre and it will very often "autocorrect" English words to something German. This is going to save me a lot of hassle

A slightly related story: back in 1998 or so, a friend of mine got a brand-new Nokia that had this revolutionary new feature called T9. He was all gung-ho about it until he wrote a text to a friend of his called Maximilian or Maxi for short. He didn't even look at what he was typing, so it was only after successfully having sent the text that he found out that the T9 had converted "Hi Maxi!" into "Hi <bad word for German soldier>" Much fun was had by all. I remember saying at the time that a telephone with a full keyboard could come in handy. Everybody laughed at me because there was simply no way - somebody told me it's like saying you want a phone that's also a car.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/05/2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: circumventing language filter
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Better yet, try this: Autoreplace Upgrade, which actually autoreplaces words correctly. I used this myself after I realized that "Story" is ONLY spelt "Storey", and "Surprise" is spelt "surprize" according to Palm. You have to replace the text-edit-autoreplace under /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_ca (in my case; if you're in the US you'd change /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us file).
    Last edited by staeit; 05/06/2010 at 04:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    if you don't feel like messing with the dictionaries, here is a simple workaround - if you notice that it changed a word, press backspace, and it will undo to autocorrect.

also, my phone doesn't autocorrect rim to tim (you have a US pre, right?)
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Sure, but shouldn't autocorrect at least properly replace the word (rather than replace a correctly spelled word with an incorrectly spelled one)? It's such a simple thing. Palm should [have] implemented proper autocorrect or even predictive texting, but unfortunately it seems as though they CBA to do this. Maybe now that HP is taking a gamble on Palm we'll see the updates this summer improve some of these annoyances.
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    Better yet, try this: Autoreplace Upgrade, which actually autoreplaces words correctly. I used this myself after I realized that "Story" is ONLY spelt "Storey", and "Surprise" is spelt "surprize" according to Palm. You have to replace the text-edit-autoreplace under /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_ca (in my case; if you're in the US you'd change /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us file).
    Which version of the Pre do you have and which WebOS version are you using (US, GSM)? I don't have any of those issues. My words are spelled correctly. "Surprize" is auto-corrected to "Surprise."
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I have all the above spelling auto correct errors. Surley someone has addressed this by now? How can you figure Pam should be PAN or Ear should be WAR?
    My English auto correct doesn't change those two words.
    Last edited by NachoB; 12/20/2010 at 08:34 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    I seem to have this problem with my phone auto-correcting a lot of words into French spelling and not sure why....I live in Canada.....we are a bilingual country, but it's either one or the other, not both. Surprise comes out as surprize, filter as philtre, are just two that come to mind. One would think, that when you first boot up the phone and set the profile, and it asks you what language you want, and you pick English, that it would stop auto-correcting words into another language. On the annoying scale, it's around a 6/10.

must have missed staeit's post.....funny how he mentions surprize and that is supposed to be en_ca? that's actually fr_ca
    Last edited by sledge007; 12/05/2010 at 01:01 PM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRican View Post

You guys need to get your minds out of the gutter and into the coffee pot.
    Clearly he was talking about a cup of coffee and nothing else.
    Welcome to Tim Hortons
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Words I've found misspelt in the auto-correct dictionary en_ca:
    wrong spelling on left....correct on the right
    advize, change all variants to advis-
    almanack - almanac
    appal - appall
    arize - arise (and other variants)
    artefacts - artifacts
    catalogue (and other variants) - catalog
    centigramme (and other variants) - centigram
    chequered- checkered
    chilli - chili
    comprize (and other variants) - comprise
    compromize (and other variants) - compromise
    connexion(s) - connection(s)
    devize (and other variants) - devise
    disguize (and other variants) - disguise
    philtre(s) - filter(s)
    franchize (and other variants) - franchise
    grey (and other variants) - gray
    kilogramme(s) - kilogram(s)
    milligramme(s) - milligram
    pzazz- pizzazz
    planed for planned....both correct....2 different words
    practise (and other variants) - practice
    story (as in a tale, yarn) and storey ( as in a floor level of a building) 2 different words
    surprize (and other variants) - surprise
    supervize (and other variants) - supervise

and of course there's a ton of archaic spellings in there, technically correct, but not used much anymore, words with "oe" and "ae" combinations. Hemoglobin vs. Haemoglobin, eso****us vs. oeso****us, etc.

probably missed some, feel free to add.
    This topics has come up a few times in the history of the Palm Pre ....

In addition to the link provided above, a few of us combed through the 3000 list and edited out some of the mistakes we found. Several revised autocorrect files and a list of mistaken-replacements are available in this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...stments-5.html

In addition, it has been noted that you can edit the autocorrect file on the fly on your phone if you have a file-manager like Internalz installed;

http://forums.precentral.net/general...nary-free.html
    From the Pre2 manuual, webOS 2.0's Text Assist will provide the facility to edit the auto-correct dictionary.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Don't forget that you can always backspace to reject the correction. Personally I just cleared all of the autocorrect stuff out of the file and put in something that I actually find useful: shortcuts! Highly recommended.