1.    #1  
    OK, I've never seen this bug around before, so here goes...

I have a contact in my contact list that's there twice. The exact same spelling, everything. It's a relatively new contact that's been added only a couple weeks ago, and since it's only an office email adress it's not a Facebook or similar issue. Now the funny thing about the contact is that while one of them is perfectly fine, the other is a "ghost" contact - meaning I can't even get into it to delete it. When I tap on it, it does that 'zoomy' animation that it always does, but immediately 'zooms out' again to show the contact list. I've tried to merge the ghost contact into the proper contact, but that doesn't work either.

Does anybody know what's happened here, and how I can fix it? It's not really an important issue at all - it just bothers me that I've got a double entry in my list. I think removing my main google account from the contact list and then adding it back would probably do the trick, but I don't want to try that just yet because most of my Facebook people use fake or abbreviated names, so I'd have to manually merge more than a handful of contacts together... the last time I had to doctor my phone, it took me a half hour of repetitive contact merging. I'd rather avoid that if possible.
    is it in another profile? Also check other apps such as photos because there are contact/account associations stored in more than one app....

What you are describing sounds like something that is being sync-ed from another profile. When you open the contact, what does it say in the upper right corner? That's where it tells you what "account" it came from...

Also, can you post some screen shots?
  3.    #3  
    I cannot open the contact in the first place, that's just the thing. A screenshot wouldn't do any good I don't think - a VIDEO would probably be extremely helpful to make you understand what I'm talking about because it's hard to explain, but I have no way of making a video other than using my Pre...

When I tap the "ghost" contact, the animation that normally "zooms" into a contact is shown, but instead of the contact being displayed, the "zoom out" animation that's normally displayed when you use the back gesture from within a contact is displayed, and I'm back to the contact list.
    what do you sync your contacts to? that's what I would expect to happen if I was trying to edit a facebook contact on my Pre. I wouldn't expect it to let me.

I had a similar issue when I synced to facebook because it grabbed my wife and daughter-in-law from face book - and they both have the same first and last name... so I tried to edit them on the Pre... can't do it, and I can't change names of people on facebook because it uses the name they put in their profile.

Does that give you any clues?
  5.    #5  
    I sync contacts to and from google and facebook; that specific contact is just a regular contact created ON my Pre, so it syncs to my google account. The contact only shows up once in my google account, and I've just modified the working contact and synced it to verify that the "good" contact syncs. It did. The ghost contact is just there on my Pre. It's really weird.
    Try deleting whichever contact you can access. Or try deleting it from Google (PC side).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I sync contacts to and from google and facebook; that specific contact is just a regular contact created ON my Pre, so it syncs to my google account. The contact only shows up once in my google account, and I've just modified the working contact and synced it to verify that the "good" contact syncs. It did. The ghost contact is just there on my Pre. It's really weird.
    You might want to remove any sync to anything but your palm profile. Yu will have to remove your account in facebook, photos, contacts, and calendar (and maybe more) and see which one it takes out of your contact list.

It's gotta be somethjing like that.

One thing that I had success with was going to the Palm support site. You can get on live chat with someone that might actually be able to come up with more ideas.

When I had a similar issue (because I let someone access their facebook account on my phone and synergy grabbed all her contacts without asking) they spent a long time helping me. When they ran out of ideas, they gave me a ticket number and had an escalation engineer call me the next day and work until we figure it out (which is where I learned about all the places synergy hides contact and account references...