1.    #1  
    It may be that I just need to give it up...but I'm convinced with all of the knowledgeable folks here someone must have found SOME to print from my verizon pre plus. Ive looked everywhere, so its not for lack of trying. I consider myself relatively computer savvy, but Im no programmer- aka when I need to do anything involving developer mode I hand the phone to my husband. I love my pre, but it would be so much more convenient to not have to check my email on my phone, then have to boot up my computer to print it. I dont want to blame palm...someone please help!
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I hate to start this but with the email on your phone why would you want to print it. You can carry it electronically with you.
    Dan
    None of the apps have a "print" option built into them.

It is possible to install a printer subsystem (CUPS) on WebOS - but nothing currently available would use it.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Some photo printers have a little screen that allow you to hook up usb, browse to a pic, and print it. Is there a similar thing for document printing?

My only other thought would be to figure out how to upload to dropbox, and have the computer constantly scan that folder to print. (I understand this won't help you since the computer is already on...I just wanted to remind any devs that a dropboxx clinet would be pretty cool.)
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Haha, so I was just screwin around with printing from my Pre last night. As some of you know I'm the guy that installed OpenOffice on my Pre and took a video of it. I got to thinking "i've got a perfectly good HP Photosmart Premium sitting right over there all set up for network printing... I wonder..." So installed all of the HP and cups stuff and about set it up but my printer is so new that it wasn't listed. I know I can get drivers for it manually so I'll probably try that later. I see no reason why it won't work with apps in the debian chroot environment. Native apps, of course, have no way to do it though. I'll let you know how it all goes tonight.

- phil_bw -
    Quote Originally Posted by lusciousranger1 View Post
    It may be that I just need to give it up...but I'm convinced with all of the knowledgeable folks here someone must have found SOME to print from my verizon pre plus. Ive looked everywhere, so its not for lack of trying. I consider myself relatively computer savvy, but Im no programmer- aka when I need to do anything involving developer mode I hand the phone to my husband. I love my pre, but it would be so much more convenient to not have to check my email on my phone, then have to boot up my computer to print it. I dont want to blame palm...someone please help!
    I can imagine many times I would need to print. Fortunately I have my laptop with me always...

But if I needed to print, I would email it to a fax service that will send it to a fax machine... or I'd email it to the hotel clerk to print it out, or I'd upload it to the Kinkos website, etc.

Sometimes I need a hard copy, and I have had to do that from my laptop if I couldn't get to a printer. The problem will be getting drivers for WebOS. If someone figured that out, you could print to network printers via WiFi (and perhaps bluetooth) but there are a zillion print drivers and printers out there. Perhaps someone could take a generic Linux driver and port that to WebOS... but that's easy for me to say - and I don't know if it's hard to do.

I know I have never needed to print from my Pre or my BlackBerry where I wasn't able to get the document sent to something that could print it for me.

I hope those ideas are helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    Haha, so I was just screwin around with printing from my Pre last night. As some of you know I'm the guy that installed OpenOffice on my Pre and took a video of it. I got to thinking "i've got a perfectly good HP Photosmart Premium sitting right over there all set up for network printing... I wonder..." So installed all of the HP and cups stuff and about set it up but my printer is so new that it wasn't listed. I know I can get drivers for it manually so I'll probably try that later. I see no reason why it won't work with apps in the debian chroot environment. Native apps, of course, have no way to do it though. I'll let you know how it all goes tonight.

- phil_bw -
    Is it possible that we will be able to install OpenOffice on our Pre at some point?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    This thread was posted last week:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2410092
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I'm actually working on a package right now that'll basically be linux in a box. You'll just drop a 1gig img file on your usb drive and install one ipk file, click the icon and go. This is not the most ideal method due to the bandwidth needed for people to download a gig at a time. But there is progress being made to where the img file would no longer be needed and a single package on Preware will work just fine (thats a long ways out though). In the mean time if you follow those forum postings you'll have the same basic setup I'm using for all of this.

- phil_bw -
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Well that was quick. So I was trying to configure things the wrong way it seems. Rather than using the CUPS utilities I should have just used HPs. By running hp-config from xterm it popped up a gui based HP configuration utility. I selected network printer (which didn't show anything) so I selected find manually and entered it's IP address. Pull up "Photosmart Premium c309a" (which is 100% correct). Then I just clicked next through the rest of the setup. Opened a doc in OpenOffice and hit print and there was my printer waiting for me. Hit print again and away it went.
    Here are the steps for a Debian chroot environment:
    Enter the following commasd in XTERM:
    apt-get install hplip
    hp-setup
    Follow setup utility and select manual for your network printer and give it it's IP address, name it if you'd like, keep clicking next.

Have fun!

- phil_bw -