Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    What is the average battery life of a Sprint Jaibroken Pre when used as a WiFi hos spot?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I imagine not very good you are using 2 radios: wifi and EVDO so that is one of the biggest drains of battery life
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I get about a 1% drain per hour with the screen off and only the hot spot running.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeking View Post
    I get about a 1% drain per hour with the screen off and only the hot spot running.
    Does that mean that your Pre will run for 100 hours on a full charge?

Please Clarify
    Wow, that's pretty good. Last night I started using it with about 64% battery left, and had it connected (charging) to my laptop. After about 20 minutes, it was down to 55%! I then tried the touchstone, and after an hour, it was dead! :-(
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLBurger View Post
    Wow, that's pretty good. Last night I started using it with about 64% battery left, and had it connected (charging) to my laptop. After about 20 minutes, it was down to 55%! I then tried the touchstone, and after an hour, it was dead! :-(
    It killed it while it was charging?

Are you saying that the WiFi hot spot will ruin your battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLBurger View Post
    So you're saying that your chargers are draining the power?
    When I am really hammering the hotspot I see around a 25% drain per hour.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Ok people Mobile Hotspot is a battery killer. Even when on the TS the two radio's are pulling so much power that the phone can't keep up while on the charger. This is the same as charging in the car while using GPS and maybe another app. If you just use MHS without being plugged in I would expect to see between 12% - 24% drain and hour. When plugged in and using MHS the battery is still going to drain but at a much slower rate between 3% and 6% and hour.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    What if you turn certain services off like the location services for Google Maps and the GPS what type of time can you expect from the little pre?

How many devices are you using for your drain percentage? 1 notebook or more?

Also has anyone who bought an extended time battery tried this?
    Don't expect the battery to last when using mhs. I use it quite often with an iPad and the battery drain is enormous. I would estimate it to be around 1% every 2 minutes or so.

The important thing is that it works like gangbusters.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator64 View Post
    Don't expect the battery to last when using mhs. I use it quite often with an iPad and the battery drain is enormous. I would estimate it to be around 1% every 2 minutes or so.

The important thing is that it works like gangbusters.
    Do you feel that you are better off going this route than getting an iPad with built in 3G?

If yes then why?
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rombo View Post
    What is the average battery life of a Sprint Jaibroken Pre when used as a WiFi hos spot?
    There is no such thing as Jailbroken. All we simply do is turn on Developer Mode.
    Do you feel that you are better off going this route than getting an iPad with built in 3G?

If yes then why?
    What will you use it for? Will you always use the mobile hotspot/3G or do you use wifi at home?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    What will you use it for? Will you always use the mobile hotspot/3G or do you use wifi at home?
    I will use it for a mobile hot spot. And yes I have WiFi at home but would not use it from there unless my Inet connection died.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I get around 5 hours when MHS is on and my phone is plugged into my computer laptop. It drains faster than it charges. But it is still cool to have when you travel and the hotel doesn't offer or charges for wifi in the room or at the airport.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Can you use it as a phone and WiFi hotspot at the same time?
    No. In present implemetation by all us providers CDMA (evdo) does not allow for simultaneous voice and data usage. An incoming call would kill the data connection for the duration of the call. Look for this to possibly be fixed with 4g!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Is Sprint Blocking any protocols on their network? For instance Skype?

If yes then why?
    Unless you have money to burn for another service and data plan with AT&T, then of course you would be better off using MHS or MyTether on your Sprint Unlimited Data plan you already have with your Pre.

I would never really consider it for heavy or extended use. Only when I'm not home and don't have any free wi-fi available AND I need to do more than I can do on my Pre already.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast