Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I just typed a bunch of stuff about my 3G iPad experience but when I tried to link you to a tiPB article with users' speed info, the lack damned thing refreshed my page and ate my post.

Bottom line, here is the link: http://www.tipb.com/2010/05/01/fast-ipad-3g-att/

My experience has been decent, 3G-wise. My Tether is fine for surfing, but not for streaming. Depends on your needs.

I hope that helps.
    I wouldn't expect the My Tether to get better throughput than the phone itself. I have experienced the streaming issues with the Pre's YouTube App.

Thanks
    Last edited by Rombo; 05/06/2010 at 11:52 AM.
    My Palm Pre Gets Its Wallpaper From SmartPhone Wallpaper
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    To be clear, the Pre DOES run on the wall outlet juice when plugged in (or a fully functional one does, anyway). The problem, apparently, is that the services and hardware in-use on the devices require more power than the outlet/wall can provide so, the battery gets tapped, some, as well.
    Actually that last part is not entirely accurate. The load determines the power (amperage) draw.

A wall outlet does not limit current past what the circuit breaker is rated for (usually 10, 15 or 20 Amps) and at that point it "pops" and breaks the circuit.

The load (Pre) determines the power (amperage) draw. What is limiting the current is the charger (and likely some of the power circuits in the Pre).

The Pre chargers are limited at anywhere between 0.5A to 1.0A depending on the charger. The Pre is consuming more power (and drawing more amps) than the charger is supplying and therefore causing the loss of battery power.

And I agree with the sentiment that this is unacceptable and frustrating.

However...
    Typical USB ports supply 0.5A of power. The wall charger that comes with the Pre supplies 1.0A. I have not seen any amount of activity drain the battery while connected to a 1.0A charger. I'm not saying it is not possible... I'm simply saying I (personally) have not had it occur yet. However, I have frequently seen it draw more power than a 0.5A-0.75A charger can supply and therefore drain the battery even while charging.

I have a power inverter (DC->AC) in my car for traveling and if I connect the official 1.0A Pre charger to it and then charge the Pre using it... it does not use battery while using Sprint Nav, Pandora, and MyTether, etc...
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 05/06/2010 at 03:21 PM.
    Rombo, to answer your question from page 1, using a pre with the ipad allows me to use apples apps and also have a pre at the same time. I usually carry both with me.

I am on sprint and I also regularly can acheive 1mb/s, enough to stream stuff using the netflix app.

The battery does indeed burn quick and gets real hot, but like I've said, I deal with that cause I love having the connection it provides on my ipad everywhere I go. And no, I don't want to pay AT&T for another service when my pre can provide it for free.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator64 View Post
    Rombo, to answer your question from page 1, using a pre with the ipad allows me to use apples apps and also have a pre at the same time. I usually carry both with me.

I am on sprint and I also regularly can acheive 1mb/s, enough to stream stuff using the netflix app.

The battery does indeed burn quick and gets real hot, but like I've said, I deal with that cause I love having the connection it provides on my ipad everywhere I go. And no, I don't want to pay AT&T for another service when my pre can provide it for free.
    I have experienced the Pre heat ups when I got it last june and started off by watching alot of youtube videos on it. The thing was getting too hot to hold.

Like I said I will get the 3G and the my tether. If I have a problem with the phone then I can turn on the AT&T.

Thanks

BTW: What is your location?
    My Palm Pre Gets Its Wallpaper From SmartPhone Wallpaper
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    luckily for me my city has free wi-fi. I am on the net 8 hours a day and when i use myteather pre heats up too fast and then i have to turn it off to cool. I would only use mytether if i was on a trip or somewhere i didn't have wifi. I also have the 2600 battery and could get probably ~20 hours of use with myteather on a charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    However...
    Typical USB ports supply 0.5A of power. The wall charger that comes with the Pre supplies 1.0A. I have not seen any amount of activity drain the battery while connected to a 1.0A charger. I'm not saying it is not possible... I'm simply saying I (personally) have not had it occur yet. However, I have frequently seen it draw more power than a 0.5A-0.75A charger can supply and therefore drain the battery even while charging.

I have a power inverter (DC->AC) in my car for traveling and if I connect the official 1.0A Pre charger to it and then charge the Pre using it... it does not use battery while using Sprint Nav, Pandora, and MyTether, etc...
    I don't mind if the USB charger is not strong enough to keep the battery from draining; the phone is limited to what USB supplies and if we want all these fancy features, it is going to come at a cost of electrical power. However, I do think when it is plugged in to a socket it ought to run on power without worrying about the battery, and hopefully, charging it. It ought to be able to run even if I took the battery out, like all the phones I ever owned before did. You could plug them in to change out a dying battery without losing a call.

I have been using a power inverter in the car lately, and it does the trick. I also get an increase in charge while running apps. With a regular car cord, the battery drains if I am running Nav. That too, is a disappointment. It should not happen.

But don't get me wrong; I think the phone is great overall. It just has these oddities that keep it from being an elegantly designed package. WebOS is fantastic, and I am looking forward to continued improvements.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    When I am really hammering the hotspot I see around a 25% drain per hour.
    This is about what I get. Do keep in mind that My Tether can also be used with the Pre's USB cable, so you can Tether to your laptop and recharge your phone at the same time. In practice it is probably easier to install the USB driver on an older Windows XP laptop or netbook but you can still plug your phone into the USB port to recharge it if you are using it as a wifi hotspot. Of course if you are tethering it to an iPad which doesn't have a USB port, you won't have that option.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123