Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Unless you have money to burn for another service and data plan with AT&T, then of course you would be better off using MHS or MyTether on your Sprint Unlimited Data plan you already have with your Pre.

I would never really consider it for heavy or extended use. Only when I'm not home and don't have any free wi-fi available AND I need to do more than I can do on my Pre already.
    What is better MHS or MyTether?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rombo View Post
    What is better MHS or MyTether?
    I haven't used MHS. I have MyTether and it works without a hitch.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I haven't used MHS. I have MyTether and it works without a hitch.
    Do you have the stock battery in your pre or are you using and extended life one?

I saw one that adds 5mm to the thickness but supposedly doubles your talk time.
    My Palm Pre Gets Its Wallpaper From SmartPhone Wallpaper
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I use MHS for my primary internet connection @ home. I live in a rural area with no other options besides sattelite. In my opinion, battery life all depends on what your are doing on line. I have noticed that if I am downloading files and what not that the battery drians quickly and also the phone gets very hot. I usually always have my phone charging while using MHS and have not observed drain while charging while using MHS. Sorry I have no real numbers as far as percent...I worry more about heat than battery drain.

Edit...
    I forgot to mention, I am a Verizon user...
    Used both MT and MHS and they seem the same to me. Using Mobile Hot Spot now and it is great. Your results may vary:

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
    Used both MT and MHS and they seem the same to me. Using Mobile Hot Spot now and it is great. Your results may vary:

Is 1.15 down typical for you?
    Yes it is typical.
    I'm using the 2250 mAh battery. (ebay, $ 23 shipped.)
    You are probably will want either an extra battery, larger battery, car charger, Touchstone,etc.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
    Yes it is typical.
    I'm using the 2250 mAh battery. (ebay, $ 23 shipped.)
    You are probably will want either an extra battery, larger battery, car charger, Touchstone,etc.
    Does the larger battery make the Pre like a brick?
    It does make the it about 5 mm thicker and adds some weight,but I'm used to it now,so it doesn't seem like a brick to me. I carry it in a case on my belt,not in my pocket. The extra battery life is worth it to me.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Right now I am debating on if I should get a WiFi only iPad and use my pre as hotspot or get the 3G iPad instead.

I have heard nothing but bad things about AT&T coverage.
    It is hard to get a good idea od how useful MHS is when the testimonials don't usually say if the person is a Verizon user (in which case, it is meant for your device as opposed to being hacked onto the device) and we don't know if the user is in a big city or if the speeds are typical, etc.

He'll, I would just like to know which directions a Sprint user should use to install MHS and why so apmany have very different experiences doing so. It works, it doesn't work, it connects, it doesn't connect, it gives an error, etc., etc. I have seen multiple threads with multiple links within the threads, often with no clear links to which files might be necessary for the thread's instructions.

It's a big ol' mess.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeking View Post
    I get about a 1% drain per hour with the screen off and only the hot spot running.
    No way... with a stock battery.

I guarantee you do not even get 1% hour with it sitting on the counter and never being picked up. If so, your Pre would last 4 days with MHS running...

No Pre last 4 days... Even with my hockey puck of a Pre with a Seidio 2600mAh extended battery. Under typical use (with extended battery and no MHS) I would be lucky to get 48-60 hours.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 05/06/2010 at 09:17 AM.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    So the advice would be to stay away from MHS.

Any issue with the current version of My Tether on Web OS 1.4.1.1
    Right now I am debating on if I should get a WiFi only iPad and use my pre as hotspot or get the 3G iPad instead.

I have heard nothing but bad things about AT&T coverage.
    I just typed a bunch of stuff about my 3G iPad experience but when I tried to link you to a tiPB article with users' speed info, the lack damned thing refreshed my page and ate my post.

Bottom line, here is the link: http://www.tipb.com/2010/05/01/fast-ipad-3g-att/

My experience has been decent, 3G-wise. My Tether is fine for surfing, but not for streaming. Depends on your needs.

I hope that helps.
    So the advice would be to stay away from MHS.

Any issue with the current version of My Tether on Web OS 1.4.1.1
    No issues at all. MyTether runs like a champ on 1.4.1.1
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    It is hard to get a good idea od how useful MHS is when the testimonials don't usually say if the person is a Verizon user (in which case, it is meant for your device as opposed to being hacked onto the device) and we don't know if the user is in a big city or if the speeds are typical, etc.

He'll, I would just like to know which directions a Sprint user should use to install MHS and why so apmany have very different experiences doing so. It works, it doesn't work, it connects, it doesn't connect, it gives an error, etc., etc. I have seen multiple threads with multiple links within the threads, often with no clear links to which files might be necessary for the thread's instructions.

It's a big ol' mess.
    Make the $15 donation for MyTether, connect to your PC in "just charge" mode and double click the exe file. Piece of cake. Works like a charm on my Sprint Pre.
    No issues at all. MyTether runs like a champ on 1.4.1.1
    Whoops. I didn't realize that was a question. Same here, except that it is not a great iPad match if one is doing more than surfing the web and checking email - where I am, anyway.
    Make the $15 donation for MyTether, connect to your PC in "just charge" mode and double click the exe file. Piece of cake. Works like a charm on my Sprint Pre.
    I have it, already. I was hoping that MHS would offer a more robust connection where I could stream better. As it stands, even when the Mytether connections are as fast as the AT&T speed, the former is incapable of streaming quality as good as the latter.

I figure that may be a function of the way that MyTether does things as opposed to MHS.
    By the way, this is one of the things that I find unacceptable about the Pre. I have never had a device of any kind ever that could not recharge, or at least not lose charge, while plugged in and working. Laptops, phones, you name it. There is no excuse for designing a device that doesn't run on electrical when plugged in, and on the battery when not plugged in. You can draw whatever current you want from a socket--why not make it run the phone? Why does it have to be on battery? Why, why, why?

Do other smartphones do this? I've never had one that did.
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    By the way, this is one of the things that I find unacceptable about the Pre. I have never had a device of any kind ever that could not recharge, or at least not lose charge, while plugged in and working. Laptops, phones, you name it. There is no excuse for designing a device that doesn't run on electrical when plugged in, and on the battery when not plugged in. You can draw whatever current you want from a socket--why not make it run the phone? Why does it have to be on battery? Why, why, why?

Do other smartphones do this? I've never had one that did.
    To be clear, the Pre DOES run on the wall outlet juice when plugged in (or a fully functional one does, anyway). The problem, apparently, is that the services and hardware in-use on the devices require more power than the outlet/wall can provide so, the battery gets tapped, some, as well.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Good advise, what I am going to do is get the WiFi + 3G iPad and get the My Tether. If the pre doesn't do well as a hotspot I can always activate an account with AT&T and use that. Don't want to go with WiFi only and be up the creek.

Probably going to get a better battery for the pre as well.

Thanks
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast