Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    I know there are MANY of you out there like me who flat-out frustrated with the GPS issues on the Pre Plus. We were tricked and deceived into thinking we were getting something on our phones that we didn't get. Verizon is clearly aware of the problem, as is Palm. Yet, we have no solutions. Based on my own experiences and the experiences of MANY MANY MANY others, it seems undeniably clear that Verizon is crippling GPS to try and force individual to subscribe to their service.

    Here is what I'm doing and I hope every frustrated Pre Plus user will do the same: file a report online with the Better Business Bureau. It's very easy to do. Just follow this link and there is an option for filing a complaint against a wireless carrier: https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/complaintlink.aspx

    We've all been around and around with Verizon and Palm about this issue. What is being done is downright dishonest and corrupt and they will not do anything about it. Here is one thing I know: companies as big as Verizon don't really care about their customers, but they do NOT like being reported to the BBB. I once had a billing issue with Sprint that was not being resolved, so I filed a complaint with the BBB. Within 2 days I had an email and phone call directly from Sprint's home offices...not some piddly customer service representative. (this was great b/c I then had a direct email contact to someone who could actually get things done) If we all do our part and file a report against Verizon, this may be our best chance to get something done about this. If Verizon is inundated with hundreds (thousands?) of BBB complaints regarding their corrupt GPS practices, maybe then they'll stand up and take notice.

    Some rules:

    1. Be polite in your BBB report: don't use harsh or foul language. You are just a frustrated consumer who only wants what you were told you would get.

    2. Be specific: explain that many features of the phone do not operate as advertised due to Verizon's crippling of the GPS. These phones were marketed by Palm and Verizon as having GPS (even without VZ Navigator). Verizon's own product description of the Pre Plus describes it as having assisted and standalone GPS.

    3. Make sure to explain that you feel this is a dishonest practice by Verizon. We ALL purchased these phones with the understanding that they had GPS. It is a violation of our rights as consumers for Verizon to cripple non-subscription features of our phones to try and force us to subscribe to their premium services.

    If you are frustrated with the GPS performance of your Pre Plus, then PLEASE file a report with the BBB. I may get resolution if only I file a complaint, but if we ALL chip and let our disatisfaction be know, then we can get something done for ALL Pre Plus users.

    Get the word out on this.
  2. kalex's Avatar
    Posts
    253 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #2  
    odds are this will get u no where but good luck
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by kalex View Post
    odds are this will get u no where but good luck
    I've only filed two BBB complaints in the past: 1 against my electric company and 1 against Sprint. Both issues were then swiftly resolved. Maybe it won't work, but I know businesses simply don't like having complaints filed with the BBB. Verizon is ignoring the customers right now, but maybe they'll pay attention if we can swamp them with BBB complaints.
  4. #4  
    still pushing the 'bad old verizon crippled my ps' conspiracy?

    how did my phone sneak by without the crippling voodoo?

    this is my 3rd Pre+. They all worked.

    lets run tests instead of posting links like this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    still pushing the 'bad old verizon crippled my ps' conspiracy?

    how did my phone sneak by without the crippling voodoo?

    this is my 3rd Pre+. They all worked.

    lets run tests instead of posting links like this.
    I'm done running tests and trying to trick my phone into doing something it's supposed to do in the first place. Your GPS may work, but look around you...you are a very very very very small minority.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I'm done running tests and trying to trick my phone into doing something it's supposed to do in the first place. Your GPS may work, but look around you...you are a very very very very small minority.
    I am not saying this is ok. I'm saying it's not a conspiacy, and it might not be verizon. could be google, could bbe palm.

    don't think vz is sitting around looking for ways to irritate and lose customers.

    several of use have been testing. can't make mine mess up, tho
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I am not saying this is ok. I'm saying it's not a conspiacy, and it might not be verizon. could be google, could bbe palm.

    don't think vz is sitting around looking for ways to irritate and lose customers.

    several of use have been testing. can't make mine mess up, tho
    When you say your phone works, does it work perfectly, as advertised? So for instance, if you turn your phone off, pull the battery out, let it sit for a while, then boot it back up and open google maps (without Enabling Google Services), you get an accurate reading?

    If this is the case, can I ask where you live?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I am not saying this is ok. I'm saying it's not a conspiacy, and it might not be verizon. could be google, could bbe palm.

    don't think vz is sitting around looking for ways to irritate and lose customers.
    Verizon has done this in the past with MANY of their phones, so it really isn't that far fetched to think they would do it again.

    However, I remember reading that Verizon finally said they would stop doing this to future phones, and remember them even releasing firmware to unlock the GPS on some older phones that had a lot of complaints, so who knows.
  9. #9  
    Should have went with Sprint

    I think this is a lot of crying over spilled milk but then again my gps works. Well whatever you decide to do good luck and hope you get your gps working.

    PS @yankboy I hope thats not a Yankees reference because the Yankees suck the big one, GO PHILS!!! lol
    Palm Pre Plus 2010 World Champion
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I know there are MANY of you out there like me who flat-out frustrated with the GPS issues on the Pre Plus. We were tricked and deceived into thinking we were getting something on our phones that we didn't get. Verizon is clearly aware of the problem, as is Palm. Yet, we have no solutions. Based on my own experiences and the experiences of MANY MANY MANY others, it seems undeniably clear that Verizon is crippling GPS to try and force individual to subscribe to their service.

    Here is what I'm doing and I hope every frustrated Pre Plus user will do the same: file a report online with the Better Business Bureau. It's very easy to do. Just follow this link and there is an option for filing a complaint against a wireless carrier: https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/complaintlink.aspx

    We've all been around and around with Verizon and Palm about this issue. What is being done is downright dishonest and corrupt and they will not do anything about it. Here is one thing I know: companies as big as Verizon don't really care about their customers, but they do NOT like being reported to the BBB. I once had a billing issue with Sprint that was not being resolved, so I filed a complaint with the BBB. Within 2 days I had an email and phone call directly from Sprint's home offices...not some piddly customer service representative. (this was great b/c I then had a direct email contact to someone who could actually get things done) If we all do our part and file a report against Verizon, this may be our best chance to get something done about this. If Verizon is inundated with hundreds (thousands?) of BBB complaints regarding their corrupt GPS practices, maybe then they'll stand up and take notice.

    Some rules:

    1. Be polite in your BBB report: don't use harsh or foul language. You are just a frustrated consumer who only wants what you were told you would get.

    2. Be specific: explain that many features of the phone do not operate as advertised due to Verizon's crippling of the GPS. These phones were marketed by Palm and Verizon as having GPS (even without VZ Navigator). Verizon's own product description of the Pre Plus describes it as having assisted and standalone GPS.

    3. Make sure to explain that you feel this is a dishonest practice by Verizon. We ALL purchased these phones with the understanding that they had GPS. It is a violation of our rights as consumers for Verizon to cripple non-subscription features of our phones to try and force us to subscribe to their premium services.

    If you are frustrated with the GPS performance of your Pre Plus, then PLEASE file a report with the BBB. I may get resolution if only I file a complaint, but if we ALL chip and let our disatisfaction be know, then we can get something done for ALL Pre Plus users.

    Get the word out on this.

    This is definitely a better idea than that guy who was trying to organize a class action. If you get a few thousand people to file the claim than something may be done.
  11. #11  
    My Google Map program has been terribly unreliable too. I have found a FIX for the problem. I downloaded an App from using Preware called "SimpleGPS". First I press "Start Tracking" to activate the GPS. The GPS usually takes about 15 - 30 seconds to start to lock on to the position. You can track the location accuracy on the screen. With every ping of the GPS, the accuracy zeros into the real location. When you turn on GoogleMAPS, you can see the blue location bulls eye moving to the correct location. After about 2 minutes, Simple GPS will show the accuracy as better than 20 feet. At that point, the GPS will follow me as I walk from one end of the house to the other. I've been using this method on trips for the last several weeks, and the GoogleMAPS has worked with unfailing and exceptional accuracy. When I turn off SimpleGPS, GoogleMAPS loses the lock on the position, and the accuracy will slip to a couple of miles. Restart SimpleGPS, and the position locks back on to complete accuracy. Verizon should preload and integrate this App on the Pre and reward the developer
  12. #12  
    if my gps has been crippled by vzw then how come wednesday vznavi didn't get a lock until I used another gps app??
  13. #13  
    Just downloaded the simplegps and will give it a try tomorrow for some real world tests. Initial test in the house came through real good!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    When you say your phone works, does it work perfectly, as advertised? So for instance, if you turn your phone off, pull the battery out, let it sit for a while, then boot it back up and open google maps (without Enabling Google Services), you get an accurate reading?

    If this is the case, can I ask where you live?
    yes. That is the case. It also worked that way on my last pre+. Which I replaced two weeks ago.

    I live in metro atlanta. Lock can take up to two minutes.

    I did have a flaky experience a few days ago (test narrative posted elsewhere). I noticed it seemed to be caching my previous location from the day before. Now it is working perfectly again.

    fyi, used it side by side with my BB Curve.

    a few seconds slower and itentical experience. Appears that aGPS can't be diasabled on the BB, but that doesn't seem to improve the BB experience.

    let me know if you have more questions.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/06/2010 at 11:34 AM.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    yes. That is the case. It also orked that way on my last pre. Which I replaced two weeks ago.

    I live in metro atlanta. Lock can yake up to two minutes.

    I did have a flaky experience a few days ago (test narrative posted elsewhere). I moticed it seemed to be caching my previous location from the day before. Now it is working perfectly again.

    fyi, used it side by side with my BB Curve.

    a few seconds slower and itentical experience. Appeara thas aGPS can't be diasabled on the BB.

    let me know if you have more questions.
    Was it a Verizon 8330 BB Curve?
  16. dandar's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    #16  
    I think for the people where google maps work, they must have a lot of antennas to take the amount of people on the network. Like say Atlanta or NY or other major cities. Places like CT where the whole state is basically one big suburbia, there are not as many antennas and that is probably why the GPS through google services absolutely blows chunks. Yesterday at friend's house on the side of old Sam's club but more towards south near Mickey Finn's it was showing me next to the Pep Boys store, on the other side of the turnpike. For those unfamiliar with CT it was well over a mile. To top it off, it stayed consistent, even after I started VZ Navigator. It's a joke. Couple miles down the road where I work, the signal almost always show my location accurately.
  17. #17  
    Real GPS should have nothing to do with signals from towers or rooftops in metro areas. That's two different things.

    GPS comes from satellites in the sky and therefore, it should be better in suburban/rural areas because of that.

    The only time GPS is using towers, is to estimate your position with "triangulation" if it can't get a fix on you from above.
  18.    #18  
    Just b/c a few people's GPS DOES work doesn't discount the experiences of thousands of others whose GPS DOESN'T work. We are told to take our problems to our wireless carrier. Verizon markets these phones as having GPS, so they should have GPS. End of story. I shouldn't have to turn settings off and on, power down my phone, take my battery out, put the battery back in, restart, turn certain settings back on and then wait 5 or 10 minutes for GPS to work for a little bit. Anybody who considers this a "solution" is fooling themselves. I'm not crying over spilled milk and I"m not pushing any conspiracy theories. I simply want my phone to do what I was told it could and would do. What is wrong with that? How can you discount the scores of reports from people stating that GPS is lousy, but if they open the VZ Navigator app, the GPS kicks in? Again, I'm not denying that there are a very few select individuals out there with good, functioning GPS on the Pre Plus, but that doesn't come anywhere close to touching the number of individuals with crippled GPS.

    Calling the company doesn't work. It may or may not work, but the best bet by far is filing a report with the BBB.
  19. Angry Man's Avatar
    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #19  
    The Pre is primarily a phone with added features. Its primary function was not advertised as it being a GPS. And I can remember when cell phones where just phones too.

    I have a Pre from Sprint and last October I unexpectedly ended up in a rental car without a GPS but I thought that I could use the one in my Pre. I held it up so it was on the dash and had a clear view to the sky and the GPS App couldn't get a satellite. It was terrible I even stopped and tried it to no avail.

    Maybe it works better with the New Web OS 1.4, but it made me remember that I have a phone with bonus features not a primary GPS or anything else for that matter.
    My Palm Pre Gets Its Wallpaper From SmartPhone Wallpaper
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    Was it a Verizon 8330 BB Curve?
    at&t, which is supposedly the least complained about gps.

    also, I have 'find me' set to "gps only" on my pre. No towers used for positioning that way. Google loc svc off. Lbs apps have to ask permission to enable gps.

    I know people have issues, but could they be google issues?

    at least we know it isn't a conspiracy.

    also, get 'simple gps' from preware (free) and see if it helps. It even gave me a lock today from onside my house. I was amazed by that.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/06/2010 at 11:35 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions