Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 98 of 98
  1. ght
    ght is offline
    ght's Avatar
    Posts
    772 Posts
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    #81  
    Kupe, I think Google may supplying aGPS data to any device running its Android OS.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Kupe, I think Google may supplying aGPS data to any device running its Android OS.
    Well if you think an error of under ten feet constitutes aGPS, then I have to say it just doesn't matter to me. It's even more impressive how Co-pilot provides me 10 foot accuracy navigation even when outside of Verizon's coverage. What flavor of aGPS might that be? Or it could be you're mistaken, which is the most likely scenario here.
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Well if you think an error of under ten feet constitutes aGPS, then I have to say it just doesn't matter to me. It's even more impressive how Co-pilot provides me 10 foot accuracy navigation even when outside of Verizon's coverage. What flavor of aGPS might that be? Or it could be you're mistaken, which is the most likely scenario here.
    aGPS is "assisting" gps. Your GPS is still getting most information from the actual GPS satellites...
  4.    #84  
    Still waiting on my phone!
    Grrrrrrrrrrr
  5. ght
    ght is offline
    ght's Avatar
    Posts
    772 Posts
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    #85  
    Nice try, Kupe. I've done my homework, and you should try it too, before ripping others. Well, I guess I'd better do that for you so you don't put your foot in your mouth again.

    To simplify,

    aGPS does not provide your location to the GPS system, it simply provides the system with the orbital data for the GPS satellites, allowing the device to quickly lock on to the satellites. Without the aGPS data, the system must run a full initialization from scratch, which can take a (very) long time.

    if Vzw is withholding that data from 3rd party apps, then Google may have found a way to supply that data to devices running Android OS. Hence, GPS "works" on Vzw phones running Android, and doesn't work (at least not as fast) on other devices.

    BTW, it was not my intent to offend by addressing you by name. I only did so because I'm posting from my Pre, and can't quote.
  6. #86  
    I found this info which may be of use:
    VZNav is not made by VZW but instead by a company called TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) (formally Networks in Motion (NiM)). They appear to be a technology partner with Qualcomm. I'm wondering if they have some insight in programming for the Qualcomm chips that are in Pre that they are not sharing.
  7. #87  
    AGPS issue addressed in this thread: [Patch] Enable Verizon aGPS Server (Improved GPS) under WebOS Patches.

    It still does not explain why VZNav is often able to wake the GPS when no other app is able to. It still has some abilities beyond the ability to access AGPS data.
  8. #88  
    Possibly-related question: what (and how long) is a "session" for Location Services purposes? I ask because, when I turn off Auto Locate, it prompts me the first time I open each GPS-enabled app, but not after that. At least for some time; don't know if this times out at any point. Wonder if that has something to do with the GPS wakeup issue.

    Also, I've just switched the default app for addresses from Google Maps (to which it defaulted) to VZ Navigator (to which I've started my 30-day free subscription), to see if anything behaves differently re: GPS lock. I haven't seen anyone mention that setting either way, but it's one of the few places users can impact on GPS defaults. Has anyone else played with that in their testing? {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
  9. #89  
    Semi-confirmed: from my observations, the prompt to use Location Services seems to wake up the Pre Plus' GPS without having to launch VZ Navigator, in a way that leaving Auto Locate enabled does not. Once permitted, Location Services are enabled for that particular app for some amount of time, during which it won't prompt again on subsequent app launches. After that session times out, the prompt returns. With the patches and other settings EBag333 has distributed in other threads, my Pre Plus quickly finds its location in almost any app.

    The problem seems to be that the GPS goes back to sleep before Location Services permission times out. Launching a *different* GPS app, that does need to ask permission, can help.

    Can anyone else duplicate these observations? {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Semi-confirmed: from my observations, the prompt to use Location Services seems to wake up the Pre Plus' GPS without having to launch VZ Navigator, in a way that leaving Auto Locate enabled does not. Once permitted, Location Services are enabled for that particular app for some amount of time, during which it won't prompt again on subsequent app launches. After that session times out, the prompt returns. With the patches and other settings EBag333 has distributed in other threads, my Pre Plus quickly finds its location in almost any app.

    The problem seems to be that the GPS goes back to sleep before Location Services permission times out. Launching a *different* GPS app, that does need to ask permission, can help.

    Can anyone else duplicate these observations? {Jonathan}
    i've also noticed that having auto locate off seems to give me a greater rate of success, but i haven't really been able to discern a pattern as to when/how to make the gps lock. though what you said does seem to make sense, and if one app isn't getting a lock and i load another one up eventually i do seem to get a lock (again this is w/ auto locate set to OFF)
  11. #91  
    actually just tried another test - still with auto locate off.

    as i said in the post above, i seem to eventually be able to get a lock if i just keep booting up various applications that use gps. so i tried this... i tried a 477 fix, gps dashboard, google maps, and mini map. i was able to get a fix ONLY in google maps (an accurate one). got a fix in nothing else. edit: all these were started simultaneously

    closed all apps, started each one individually. got a fix in everything, albeit not accurate (oddly enough i couldnt get a fix by dialing 477 still).

    something else to note. after installing the aGPS patch i got 'fixes' faster but they were fixes from places i'd previously been, and it wouldnt update to my current location. perhaps there's also a problem with the phone cacheing the previous gps fixes?

    im glad there's people smarter than myself working on this, i'm pretty thoroughly confused.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
    Still waiting on my phone!
    Grrrrrrrrrrr
    Did you get your phone yet? If so, any luck on the "sleeping" GPS issue?
  13. #93  
    I will test out GPS once I setup my phone tonight.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    I will test out GPS once I setup my phone tonight.
    Make sure you apply the GPS patch from ebag333. It makes a world of difference (no pun intended).
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonie luv View Post
    actually just tried another test - still with auto locate off.

    as i said in the post above, i seem to eventually be able to get a lock if i just keep booting up various applications that use gps. so i tried this... i tried a 477 fix, gps dashboard, google maps, and mini map. i was able to get a fix ONLY in google maps (an accurate one). got a fix in nothing else. edit: all these were started simultaneously

    closed all apps, started each one individually. got a fix in everything, albeit not accurate (oddly enough i couldnt get a fix by dialing 477 still).

    something else to note. after installing the aGPS patch i got 'fixes' faster but they were fixes from places i'd previously been, and it wouldnt update to my current location. perhaps there's also a problem with the phone cacheing the previous gps fixes?

    im glad there's people smarter than myself working on this, i'm pretty thoroughly confused.
    That's what I was seeing before the patch, but now that seems to be solved. The two apps I found are best at getting a fix are text-my-location (seems to be the best) Google Latitude, and Google Maps. Before the patch, Google maps was the slowest...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/12/2010 at 01:07 PM.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Make sure you apply the GPS patch from ebag333. It makes a world of difference (no pun intended).
    Yeah I am going to try it without and then get the patch. You think I would use the phone before using homebrew stuff - :P
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    Yeah I am going to try it without and then get the patch. You think I would use the phone before using homebrew stuff - :P
    Maybe 6 months ago, but the homebrew stuff has gotten so compelling, and is so well architected..

    But, you are right, you have to use it stock until you are comfortable with it for a few days. That way you will REALLY appreciate the increase in speed, and the many many useful patches.

    You start with "it doesn't do THAT? Are you kidding? I can't live without THAT!!!" and then you collect up a list of those. You will probably find all of them resolved in Preware patches.

    I did it backwards from that... (and this was before there was an 800mhz kernel). I had been using PalmOS for so long that I knew exactly what I wanted, and I was shocked when I couldn't find many basic features. Once I found PreCentral and read about homebrew (first day I had the phone - VZ support told me about it!), I took a new strategy.

    I went through the entire list of patches (mostly in the list in QuickInstall) and made a note of all the patches that sounded like things I needed - with the assumption that if it was a patch, the phone must not have the feature or option.

    So, I read that the phone app closes at the end of a call. I can't imagine why that would be the default... cuz it's a phone..., also patches for stuff like being able to adjust the length of the snooze before sounding again...

    It was obvious to me that I would spend hours looking around a stock phone looking for those because they were all available in PalmOS for years and years... so I applied about 30 patches in one sitting to make my starting point closer to PalmOS and reduce the amount of time I spent looking for non-existent features or settings. But that's cuz I was in a hurry to get things working before I headed out on a looong business trip. Otherwise I would have used it stock for awhile. I also bought a TON of apps the first week. At least $50 worth...

    And then, a few weeks later came the first 800mhz kernel that was save and easy to use. The increase in speed took this thing to a whole new level. My iPhone friends were amazed at how fast and responsive it was. It has been slow enough before that I really didn't want to let them play with it and then give me a hard time. Now, I am slowly converting them as their contracts are up...

    TMI, I know. Sounds like you have a good strategy.
  18. #98  
    I have had many smartphones.

    I currently have the Motorola Droid and have it rooted. I was at one point running it at 1.3GHz from the stock 550Mhz -

    Along with wi-fi tether and some other root apps.

    I just need to figure out what to do with my blog (All Things Android). I guess I could sell it - :\

    Thanks for the insight in what to expect. Speed is always a plus. I know the the Droid sometimes it would actually slow down with a faster kernel installed. Memory management isn't the best.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions