Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    doesn't this end the debate about vzw

http://www.precentral.net/3rd-party-...-pre-pixi-plus
    only about aGPS, not the whole thing.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/06/2010 at 08:49 PM.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    doesn't this end the debate about vzw

http://www.precentral.net/3rd-party-...-pre-pixi-plus
    To some extent it makes me say hmmmm!

But having owned many devices, I know that even getting that working is possible. Only thing we would have to do (hack), is have whatever we use to call AGPS do it in the same fashion that VZnav does.

1) find and fix problem with GPS
    2) Improve lock function with GPS
    3) find AGPS
    4) MOD (if you will) AGPS to think it is being launched by VZnav

Just waiting on my Pre.... In the morning maybe!
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    I think I'm going to poke around the code for gps dashboard and see if this person is doing anything unusual or if he's sticking to Palm standards.
    I would be interested in this as well. That may be enough to get us to at least get to know how to trigger GPS.
    Does any of this help you guys in finding something. This is Verizon's A-GPS PDE information.

Code:
    PDE IP Address: 216.198.139.92

PDE Port Number: 8889

PDE Transport: IP

Position Calculation: PDE
    Could it be that VzNav is dialing into that ip address to get a lock on A-gps? Is there a way to scan for that.

I want to help as well on this matter any way I can. I've been through this when I had a BB Curve 8330, when they unlocked GPS in November of 09.
    Last edited by Krod301; 05/07/2010 at 07:09 AM.
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    Does any of this help you guys in finding something. This is Verizon A-GPS PDE information.

Code:
    PDE IP Address: 216.198.139.92

PDE Port Number: 8889

PDE Transport: IP

Position Calculation: PDE
    Could it be that VzNav is dialing into that ip address to get a lock on A-gps? Is there a way to scan for that.

I want to help as well on this matter any way I can. I've been through this when I had a BB Curve 8330 when unlocked GPS in November of 09.
    Yes that may become very useful! Thank you very much .
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    I was watching that other thread and noticed someone said gps dashboard grabs it well. I just did that and it worked this evening - if I was standing outside. That's to be expected and makes sense though, since we want GPS to turn on, not aGPS. I will try it again tomorrow evening and see if it works again - I've noticed some weird pattern on my phone. The first gps app I download works fine - then after a day it doesn't work anymore.

I think I'm going to poke around the code for gps dashboard and see if this person is doing anything unusual or if he's sticking to Palm standards.
    Be sure you poke around the "Latitude" app and "text my location" as those two seem to have the most consistent impact on Google maps.

Also, where I am standing seems to make a huge difference (front yard vs back yard). Next I will head over to a big parking lot where I have the entire sky exposed. There is one with a cell tower across the street. I wonder if I should go there, or to one where I don't see any cell towers?

I have it on 'GPS only' so maybe it wont matter. I was surprised that I got a faster lock facing east (back yard) than west (front yard).

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/07/2010 at 09:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
    Long time Linux user here (though know no programming).

Listening to the podcast here and knowing that some say if you start VZNavigator and launch Google maps then GPS works.

This is what I would like to know:

Is the background navigator loading some type of Kernel module and upon killing the process unloading the module? Has anyone run a modprobe -l on this device to see if it is doing this?

Seems to me if the background service HAS to run for any type of GPS, that there must be another module/service/unlocking service that runs when you start Navigator?

Really is hard to hide any service in Linux and would just like to know from anyone whom might be working on this?

Thanks in advance...
    Thanks for taking a logical and reasonable approach to this issue.

I was going to attempt similar but SSH stopped working on my Pre+ and there isn't enough time in the day for me to get to everything so it will be awhile before I can fix that issue. Modprobe -i from Terminus does not work for me for some reason.
    My (hopefully unfounded) concern is that maybe VZNav is bypassing the OS and is "speaking" directly to the GPS hardware. Or that the Pre+ plus has an undocumented change in the GPS hardware that VZW (and Palm) knows about and has not released publicly.
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by AWChuck View Post
    My (hopefully unfounded) concern is that maybe VZNav is bypassing the OS and is "speaking" directly to the GPS hardware. Or that the Pre+ plus has an undocumented change in the GPS hardware that VZW (and Palm) knows about and has not released publicly.
    The problem with theory is that this is Linux. There is no way to bypass the OS as the OS holds the driver that triggers the device.

I am going to try something when my Pre arrives. I may end up bricking it before I even have a chance to be impressed...LOL! We only live once!

The moprobe command is "modprobe -L (but lower case)".
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by AWChuck View Post
    Thanks for taking a logical and reasonable approach to this issue.
    Thanks for the thanks .
    Question: I'm thinking about getting a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon. I'm also an avid Gowalla user, which requires precise GPS to use adequately.

Since I'm reading that third-party apps can't get accurate and/or fast GPS locks, does it mean apps like Gowalla are useless on the Palm Pre Plus?
    i should have posted this earlier -- i forgot about it forgive me -- i am posting it in all of the gps threads -- i did this a couple of months ago and forgot again i am sorry try it if you want to -- i think it helped

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-cached.html
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    3rd party apps DO get accurate locks. Just not as fast. There is a separate issue with apps waking the gps and/or switching from agps or triangulation to realgps even vz navigator fails in this switch from time to time. 3rd party apps are slow to lock because vzw has not allowed 3rd party apps ON PALM devices to access the aGPS data which allows apps to get a semi-accurate lock while it loads the true gps data and gives you a true lock. Why vzw choose to do this to palm devices and not android devices is baffling, not clear and quite frustrating as we use gps alot. Had zw told me "3rd party apps don't work as fast on pre+ as droid cause we set it up that way" i'd have a different phone. Good thing tho cause the pre+ is awesome and soooo cuustomizable. So i'm taking the huge pros against a couple cons.
  15. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    I can't help but wonder if vzw is putting the same restrictions on Droids, but Google has found a way to supply its own aGPS data (to Android phones only) using Google services. Any thoughts on this possibility?
    Notice that not all Sprint users are successful with GPS, and Sprint doesn't charge for their app...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ps-issues.html
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    I can't help but wonder if vzw is putting the same restrictions on Droids, but Google has found a way to supply its own aGPS data (to Android phones only) using Google services. Any thoughts on this possibility?
    Absolutely. Google keeps building "free services" that people leverage for other apps. Google doesn't necessarily keep them up to date, or use them fairly...

They could easily have deployed all sorts of interesting location-based stuff in to carrier networks, on carrier towers, who knows...
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i should have posted this earlier -- i forgot about it forgive me -- i am posting it in all of the gps threads -- i did this a couple of months ago and forgot again i am sorry try it if you want to -- i think it helped

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-cached.html
    i did not elaborate on this post but i think that it would be highly valuable to anyone who is suffering from GPS problems -- it "turns on" other gps modes in the phone -- please check it out and let me know if it helps anyone else
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I doubt it - other 3rd party nav programs like Co-Pilots work fine with the Droid as do location service programs like Evernote.
    I think you might be right. I played around with my Droid and I turned off the GPS and Google Maps was able to get me to 70 meters. Which was a really small circle. Where as my BB Curve Google Maps showed me as close to 200 meters from what I remember.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast