Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 98
  1. #41  
    Is this useful, and are we sure that verizon has aGPS deployed on every tower in every market?

    Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Is this useful, and are we sure that verizon has aGPS deployed on every tower in every market?

    Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I know it works here, all I can say.


    Can we try calling VZnav from the command line and see the output?

    And a before and after "netstat -a" to see if it actually making a connection to a server?

    My Pre didn't make it today .
  3. #43  
    I think based on today's post by Dieter Bohn (main page), it is making sense. I think VZ Nav is using aGPS (which explains why I'm getting a GPS signal indoors). This is not to be confused with Google Services (which is another service that isn't as accurate - I was corrected the other day on this)

    Leaving us with, why doesn't GPS work at all on the Pre Plus phones? I have tested my phone and let it time out for extended periods of time outdoors, with no gps lock at all. I'm just not sure why the GPS radio isn't coming on.

    If Sprint is doing the same thing, then we're not going to be able to import their application because it would require logging onto their cell towers to download this info (I think) and to do that I would image one would need to have a subscription tied to the phone requesting this info. (I'm sure Wireless providers aren't providing this freely to any system requesting it)

    If this is the case, we need to find out how to bump the GPS receiver to wake up. I don't believe it's applications turning it on, there's got to be another layer that Palm activates the GPS and then that info is passed to the app. That's my guess so far. Still digging tho....
  4.    #44  
    Something in the main VZnav program is triggering the GPS.

    Somewhere in that little device is some info as to what is being triggered. That is what I am trying to figure out. There is a command either in VZnav itself, or in a script somewhere. We just need a hint as to what is being triggered. If we can get that, it will be the big BINGO and we will have problem solved.

    I don't think the GPS is being disabled on the device for sake of profit, what I think is the GPS is sitting in a wait state waiting for a call from VZnav.

    VZnav is calling all GPS services. We need to find that.
  5.    #45  
    Be interesting if we can find the startup file and add a small script:

    #!/bin/bash
    (location of VZnav)
    wait 15
    killall VZnav

    exit 0
  6. #46  
    I can run netstat but the palm-launch app seems to not be installed on the phone. I know it's in the emulator, but according to their infodoc, it should be on the phone also. Not sure how to launch VZ Nav without the palm-launch command. It'd be nice if we could though because I can use the debugging argument and have it dump all sorts of output. I'll keep digging.

    In regards to VZ Nav and GPS - it's quite possible VZ Nav is using aGPS because when I open it up indoors, I get a lock (VZ Nav). That doesn't make sense with GPS, since you need a fairly open view to have GPS work. This is why I think that there is a cached location for GPS info. Whether it be aGPS, GPS or even Google Services, I think it's caching it to a location for apps to pick it up, so whatever service is running, you get a signal. With aGPS from VZ Nav, it's caching the location and then other apps are pulling that in. If we can figure out how to turn on aGPS, I think that would be the ticket. I agree, it's definitely something in the VZ Nav program but without the source code, not much we could do. binary only at this point....
  7.    #47  
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
    nice find! I can follow that pretty well. I think we can try this on ours and see if GPS can be activated every 20 minutes or so. Let me read through it some more and see what we can scrap....

    UPDATE: It looks like this person was just using regular app calls for the GPS. Unfortunately this may leave us in the same boat we're in now. Also, I'm indoors (near datacenter) so I'm not going to be able to grab gps signal here. I'll have to try this later this afternoon when I'm back outside....
    Last edited by sf_basilix; 05/06/2010 at 02:04 PM.
  9. #49  
    guys thanks so much for getting into the meat of the matter.

    that's said.... I truly feel that vz navi can also suffer from failing to wake the chipset. It happened to me yesterday and it took another trying to get it to lock. I've started calling it "jump starting" thegps chipset....
  10. #50  
    no problem, glad to at least poke around. I only wish I had more time...
  11.    #51  
    I have been doing a lot of research and I am turning up empty handed.

    The GPS is on the Qualcomm chip, this chip also supports all GPS functions. I have been trying to see if there was a developer manual running around somewhere for the chip. Turned up nothing.

    I have been racking my brain and I do think our thinking is on the right path. Being as this is based on Linux, something somewhere is going to give us what we need.

    Modprobe -l is not going to be needed from a Sprint phone as the driver is already loaded on the plus or the CDMA would not work. There has got to be just a trigger! Device driver is already loaded on boot and is waiting for a command.

    If maybe we could SSH into the device and watch all events? If this could be done then maybe we could get an inside view into what is going on when VZnav is being loaded.

    Grrrrr to the wicked proprietary software...LOL .
  12. #52  
    an investigation into vznavi will show that it also fails to wake the gps chip too...it needed a jump start too....its jst not nearly as often...
  13.    #53  
    What we could do (on more thinking) is try and port the file that is triggering events over from a Sprint phone. Of course we woud be out on a bit of a limb based on the fact we do not know where startup scripts are located.

    But, no fear! We could write a script to call that file .
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    an investigation into vznavi will show that it also fails to wake the gps chip too...it needed a jump start too....its jst not nearly as often...
    Thing is, it is actually calling it. There may be a margin of error, but it is small.
  15. #55  
    there must be voodoo in google maps, so hopefully someone is analyzing that. I am finding that multiple apps help gmaps lock faster (wake up) even though those apps may never lock even after gmaps does...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/06/2010 at 05:02 PM.
  16. #56  
    I've also noticed that none of these apps (including gmaps) have stopped asking permission to use location services... I'm going to pull the battery and see if that changes...
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I've also noticed that none of these apps (including gmaps) have stopped asking permission to use location services... I'm going to pull the battery and see if that changes...
    it should for all the gps apps....even vznavi
  18. #58  
    something got whacked when the phone rebooted itself. I just pulled the battery and now they all have improved manners so they ask permission again...
  19. #59  
    I was watching that other thread and noticed someone said gps dashboard grabs it well. I just did that and it worked this evening - if I was standing outside. That's to be expected and makes sense though, since we want GPS to turn on, not aGPS. I will try it again tomorrow evening and see if it works again - I've noticed some weird pattern on my phone. The first gps app I download works fine - then after a day it doesn't work anymore.

    I think I'm going to poke around the code for gps dashboard and see if this person is doing anything unusual or if he's sticking to Palm standards.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
    I have been doing a lot of research and I am turning up empty handed.

    The GPS is on the Qualcomm chip, this chip also supports all GPS functions. I have been trying to see if there was a developer manual running around somewhere for the chip. Turned up nothing.

    I have been racking my brain and I do think our thinking is on the right path. Being as this is based on Linux, something somewhere is going to give us what we need.

    Modprobe -l is not going to be needed from a Sprint phone as the driver is already loaded on the plus or the CDMA would not work. There has got to be just a trigger! Device driver is already loaded on boot and is waiting for a command.

    If maybe we could SSH into the device and watch all events? If this could be done then maybe we could get an inside view into what is going on when VZnav is being loaded.

    Grrrrr to the wicked proprietary software...LOL .
    I have been thinking of this too - my initial thoughts were to maybe load and unload the driver to see if that kicks the receiver on, but I haven't found the module for that yet. I'm worried the module may be shared with other devices and if so, we'll have a hard time unloading that.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions