Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Got my Pre launchday...
    I like the Pre and all, but I need to get out as well.

- 2 full minutes to start phone..
    - Spontaneous battery drains (this is worst, cause it'll go to like 20%-30%/hour)
    - Sometimes screen doesn't turn on for like a minute or two
    - Crashes are bad, but don't happen to me much.

Other hardware issues, well you know...
    Just remember the pre is kind of new. When hp and palm make a phone it will probably fix the hardware issues
    Time to get VIRAL
    Got my Pre launchday...

- Spontaneous battery drains (this is worst, cause it'll go to like 20%-30%/hour)

I know two people who want to get rid of their Blackberry because of random crashes and general buggyness.

But I'm interested in the sudden battery drain. Are there certain apps you're running at the time? Do you have patches installed?
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    edit: removed mental ****.
    And Cringer, have you tried un installing any CPU scaling apps. Some people complain that it actually makes their battery life worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    1. Buy a charger for your car.
    2. Buy an aftermarket extended battery.
    3. Stop using the phone so much.

Pick any two.
    LOL
    I was a proud supporter of Palm, HP
    WebOS running on the Palm Pre, Pixi, and now the TouchPad.

Amazon =
    My solution:
    Purchase the Mugen 1400 mAh battery
    Purchase 4 touchstone chargers for the car, night stand, office, and computer desk
    Use ondemand in the uber-kernel w/all defaults except max freq (800 MHz)

I'm happy enough.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  7. LFQ
    Hmm, I rarely go under 30% lately. I don't even charge it often, but the phone lasts if you aren't constantly online (Data Usage On only when I need it). But I guess YMMV.
    Personally I can't get enough of this phone, so if magical month-long batteries come out, let me know
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    I too was getting frustrated with my Pre, and sometimes still am. When the data and voice connections are bad, it will gleefully kill itself trying to get a connection. My Centro was never that bad! Also, I had a nice app on Centro that would keep buzzing and chiming until I answered a text message, which Pre doesn't.

However, then I started talking with other docs who have Iphones and Blackberry's. Guess what? Same problems with their new smart phones. So I think it is more the advanced capabilities that gives them the problems. My IPhone using partner had to download 50 apps before she found one that would make her phone act like her old phone (beeping for text messages to wake doctor up while on call).

But it is the Sync feature that I really like. I hardly use contacts now. I just type a few letters of name, and boom, all I have to do is tap on the choice I want. same for Googling. Sprint Navigation gets me everywhere, and talks to me on my truck's speakers, and lets me take phone calls at the same time.

Also, with the 1.4 upgrades, battery life is dramatically better. Now there is only one clinic that I go to that I have to turn off data and voice roaming in order to save the battery.

So you might want to reconsider. These little buggers are capable of a lot, even though the learning curve is a lot steeper. At this point the only thing I would trade my Pre in for is a Verizon Pre Plus, due to more extensive service area than Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post
    I am really sorry to say something bad about Pre. I totally understand you are upset about my post. Anyway, 9 days left on my Pre and I am pretty much sure now that I am going to return it. Sorry to waste your time.

Check out the Motorola Droid, have played around with one and seems pretty nice. Good hardware with nice software.
    Got my Pre launchday...

Definitely understand what you mean. The pre is a great phone, but it isn't great completely stock. Definitely needs a lot of tlc to get it the way you like it, and even than not always possible.
    can your battery be destroyed in 2 hours?......the pres can lol
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by *****hay View Post
    With that usage, my BlackBerry would be at 80-90%... makes me worried/scared about considering a Pre Plus on either AT&T or Verizon. I'm surprised that it's so bad really since my friend says his Pre gets better battery life than his Nexus, which I thought had pretty bad battery life to begin with. Been researching the Mugen and Seidio extended batteries though that I had with my Treo.
    Don't let this story scare you off, it is far from normal even for my phone and I am the OP. This same phone went twelve hours the other day with a good amount of usage in that twelve hours. This was a crazy one time thing which is what I tried to get across in my first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    And Cringer, have you tried un installing any CPU scaling apps. Some people complain that it actually makes their battery life worse.
    I have been running at 800 for over a month now. One change I made a few days ago was I switched from the SPK to the Uber-kernel. I have had some wonky stuff since using Uber-kernel and Govnah to adjust the frequency. I do not blame either for this though as I am still working out what settings are best for my phone. I should have kept the phone humming along at 800 MHz actually, as I tend to have better battery life at that then with just 500 MHz which is what I went to.
    Keep an eye on it. I'm interested in the Uber Kernel and Govnah, haven't had time to load them on yet. But I'm keeping an eye on people who use them and what kind of battery improvements they're seeing.

I know this has been covered in other threads, but let us know if you notice any other new issues and if you feel it has anything to do with the Uber Kernal or Govnah.
    One that I just discovered that I LOVE is the Agenda swipe patch that gives you a swipe down menu where the time is with your agenda for the day and a button to see the agenda for the next day. This ROCKS. I'm now a total slave to this patch. I like it better than having my agenda on the home screen because I can access it WHILE ANY PROGRAM IS OPEN!!! For me, I love that. I'm rocking the tunes, oh, wait, when do I have to take the kids to the dentist again? Swipe. Boom. 4pm. It's right there. Awesome.
    Ok. OMG I WANT THIS PATCH! But alas I can not find it in Preware. :-( Help! Where may I find this jewel of a patch?
    Keep an eye on it. I'm interested in the Uber Kernel and Govnah, haven't had time to load them on yet. But I'm keeping an eye on people who use them and what kind of battery improvements they're seeing.

I know this has been covered in other threads, but let us know if you notice any other new issues and if you feel it has anything to do with the Uber Kernal or Govnah.
    I just installed both... holy effing crap! Load times are cut literally in half using 800Mhz. Also I was getting a lot of glitches in the messaging app when I have a lot of messages. Now its much smoother! Ill let you know how my battery life seems to compare throughout the day.
    People kept saying there's things about the phone that make up for all the stuffs that happening on the phone. What is it? Please don't tell me like WebOS >>>> all the mobile os. What is it? I am trying to find a reason to stay with it?

Multitask? Android can do it. Iphone 4.0 will do it.
    Keyboard? Droid has it and it's better since it's bigger.
    Quality of the phone? if I have rate the quality of this phone, I have to give 3 out of 10.
    Battery life? Every smartphone battery sucks. We all know that if you had different smartphone, but Pre battery is THE WORST.
    Apps? Not just we don't have enough apps, we have to pay more for our apps than Android and Iphone.
    Music apps? yeah, Android music player sucks too but iphone is the king here.
    Movie apps? If it supports more codecs, but it's same as other big name. Atleast Samsung and LG's new android phone will play all divx.

Please tell me what is so great about our Pre? please, I have 9 days left.
    If you need others to tell you why you should stay with the Pre, you shouldn't. Why do come on here and spout nonsense like this. Some of us like the device we bought, so we stay with it. If you don't like yours, don't stay with it. Your decision says nothing bad about your, ours says nothing bad about us.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Why do I even bother to post here? Because I really really want to like Pre, I really do. As soon as my contract over with AT&T, I gave up on my Iphone and came to Verizon just for Pre Plus. After having all these problem that I have, I am mad. i am mad at Palm for not being able to polish up their WebOS. I am mad at Precentral for not being honest about the Pre quality. And I am mad at myself for not being able to read all the problem but I kind of give a benefit of doubt. I thought those people who has problem were overreacting.

I pretty much made up my mind. I asked several times that what Pre is so great and better than any other phone, I am getting same answer.

homebrew/preware......patches - android has bigger homebrew community. Iphone doesn't need any but they do have jailbreak community

webos in general..... - Only thing great about webos is that it's not Iphone but it gets old really fast.

dashboard notifications like weather.... - Android does it better with widget

800mhz man it really makes a difference... - Android does have overclock

one handed use in combination with using a keyboard... - maybe my hand is just too big to handle this tiny phone with one hand typing operation, so it's my problem.

touchstone.... - Honestly, is this the reason? charging is charging. Perhaps if they design the usb connector better on Pre, it maybe not even need this.

If you don't like it get another phone. Its that simple. I'm not going to blow smoke up your rear and try to convince you to stay - its clear the Pre and WebOS isn't for you. There's nothing wrong with that.

On the same token, I'm not going to sit here and defend my purchase either - for my needs WebOS has me covered. The build quality isn't the best (I've had worse, and I've had better) but overall I'm happy with device, the operating system, and the apps I need being available.

If you don't like the Pre then fine, move on, there's plenty of other great devices to choose from. Why do you even care why others like the Pre? Care about your own opinion not others.
    Don't people tire of defending or bashing the Pre?

I mean, I feel it's still a wonderful device, but it's approaching it's first birthday which makes it old technology.

For bashers: it's comical that people are comparing the Pre to the EVO or iPhone 4. In cell phone years, that's like saying your 2010 Ford Taurus is better than my 1992 Chevy Corsica. Gee, ya think?

For defenders: every default of the Pre has been covered ad nauseum, so why bother rehashing the same counter-arguments? "Knew that before you bought it," "but it does this better," yadda yadda. Regardless of what is said, people are going to buy the phone then come here and complain about how Palm scammed them. Nothing more can be done but let the threads die.

This board has become nigh unreadable because so many threads either start or deteriorate into a battle of who can defend or bash the Pre more.

If you like the Pre, good for you, who cares if other people don't at this point?

If you don't like the Pre, why visit this board?
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by z28marols1 View Post
    Ok. OMG I WANT THIS PATCH! But alas I can not find it in Preware. :-( Help! Where may I find this jewel of a patch?
    Look for the System Menu Initial Framework and System Menu Today patches. Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by stomsf View Post
    Look for the System Menu Initial Framework and System Menu Today patches. Enjoy!
    Thanks! Now if I could only figure out whats conflicting causing the install to fail... :-(
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast