Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post
    People kept saying there's things about the phone that make up for all the stuffs that happening on the phone. What is it? Please don't tell me like WebOS >>>> all the mobile os. What is it? I am trying to find a reason to stay with it?

Multitask? Android can do it. Iphone 4.0 will do it.
    Keyboard? Droid has it and it's better since it's bigger.
    Quality of the phone? if I have rate the quality of this phone, I have to give 3 out of 10.
    Battery life? Every smartphone battery sucks. We all know that if you had different smartphone, but Pre battery is THE WORST.
    Apps? Not just we don't have enough apps, we have to pay more for our apps than Android and Iphone.
    Music apps? yeah, Android music player sucks too but iphone is the king here.
    Movie apps? If it supports more codecs, but it's same as other big name. Atleast Samsung and LG's new android phone will play all divx.

Please tell me what is so great about our Pre? please, I have 9 days left.
    Except for some of the iphone 4.0 stuff which is pretty recent, you knew most of the rest of what you listed before you bought your Pre...and you STILL bought a Pre. There's a word (actually, several) for people like you.

You KNEW there were better alternatives for YOUR needs, but you bought a phone that didn't meet any of them. We're not going to try to convince you to stick with something you should never have bought in the first place...take it back!
    How to destroy an iphone battery in under one hour:

play iDracula (or any other 3D game, for that matter)

Crappy battery life goes with the smartphone turf
    You forgot to answer one question though, maybe you have none. Please tell me one thing that make me over come all these problems we have with Pre? Anything that Pre does exceptionally better than Iphone or Android? And apps store, still in infancy? Do I have to laugh at this or cry? After one year later, only 3% market share, when do you think it's going to get mature?

Back to my question, tell me something encouraging to stick with Pre, instead of please give up your phone, or WebOS >>> other OS or Iphone sucks or Android sucks or Pre community is amazing.
    Well idk what you want... and you are supposed to take the app store comment for what its worth. How long did it take apple to accumulate all of the apps they currently have in their catalog? It will mature eventually... especially with the public release of the pdk.

And something webos does better than iphone and android... Multitask, like i said. Sure you can say android and iphone are able to, but the type of multitasking that they provide is not much better than blackberry's "multitasking"

Also, if you are begging people to give YOU a reason why YOU should stick with the phone, its best to just return it and leave it at that. If for some reason you yourself cannot find things you like about the phone, there was no need it posting your opinion in the first place. You use the phone on a daily basis, you should, throughout that time, be able to find out how webos is better than Iphone and Android. But i guess the best way to find out is to drop your pre, and give a shot at the other 2.

Grass is always greener on the other side...
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    You forgot to answer one question though, maybe you have none. Please tell me one thing that make me over come all these problems we have with Pre? Anything that Pre does exceptionally better than Iphone or Android? And apps store, still in infancy? Do I have to laugh at this or cry? After one year later, only 3% market share, when do you think it's going to get mature?

Back to my question, tell me something encouraging to stick with Pre, instead of please give up your phone, or WebOS >>> other OS or Iphone sucks or Android sucks or Pre community is amazing.
    You sound like you have made up your mind, why even bother asking for someone else to convince you? You don't find the phone that great, that's fine, get something else. To some people the multi-tasking is far superior then what you can find anywhere else. To some people their battery life isn't any worse then other phones. To some people they don't care about the quantity of apps they will never even buy. To some people the form factor and/or hardware is fine or even good.

Feel free to look up the definition of the word "opinion" and then perhaps you will understand things more. I am fine with you not like the Pre very much. I think the big question you should ask yourself is why do you care so much why other people may not agree with you?

multitasking.... homebrew/preware......patches..........webos in general..... dashboard notifications like weather.... 800mhz man it really makes a difference... one handed use in combination with using a keyboard... touchstone.... I mean......

Well, to answer your question, it's actually really personal. I know that won't satisfy you, but it's true.

For me here are the reasons why I'm with the Pre over the other phones. If none of these reasons mean anything to you, well then maybe you should look for another phone. And I'm not trying to be snarky or judgmental. Honestly, if none of the things I mention interest you, well, that's fine. What I need from a phone is not necessarily what you need from a phone.

1 Form factor. I want a small phone that I can slip in my pocket

2 Physical Keyboard. It's a small keyboard, yes, but I like a small phone so what are ya gonna do.

3 Cards. Sure other phones multi task, but I like being able to zoom out and in an instant swipe over to another app. I like having all the apps that are open laid out in front of me. I am constantly opening apps all the time and switching between them for my work. I just don't like the way Android deals with multiple apps being open. And we shall see what the iPhone multi tasking experience is like. It might match WebOS, but I can't see it being much better.

4 Touchstone. I LOVE not plugging my phone into my computer. From what I understand, you can jailbrake an iphone to become more of a cloud device, but the Pre was built with cloud sync in mind. It's right out of the box. And I love it. And the touchstone, I think it's just cool throwing my phone on a slab to charge it.

5 How easy it is to add software from the Pre community. Jailbreaking an iPhone is a deal. Even the Driod has a few hoops to jump through, but the WebOS community has made it stoopid simple to add patches. One that I just discovered that I LOVE is the Agenda swipe patch that gives you a swipe down menu where the time is with your agenda for the day and a button to see the agenda for the next day. This ROCKS. I'm now a total slave to this patch. I like it better than having my agenda on the home screen because I can access it WHILE ANY PROGRAM IS OPEN!!! For me, I love that. I'm rocking the tunes, oh, wait, when do I have to take the kids to the dentist again? Swipe. Boom. 4pm. It's right there. Awesome.

6 Notifications are just so sublime. Not too intrusive. Not to be ignored. I love the way WebOS handles them.

7 I just love swiping. They've worked hard to put that gesture into everything. And it never gets old. For me.

8 I can set a reminder with someones phone number so that when they call, I get a nice little notification that reminds me of something I have to say to them. I love that. It's a small little thing, but I love it.

Yes there are lots of shortcomings to the phone. Everyone knows them. You asked what was good about the phone. Those are my personal top 8. If another phone can give me each and every one of those things, I might switch, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts

Uhhh..apparently you missed who bought Palm? I would not worry about that 3% share at all..its about to jump over the next year. They will have tablets, netbooks, and phones running WebOS...move over Apple (somewhat lol). Hell, what about a nice touch mp3 player running webOS haha (I have no desire but maybe others do)
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    multitasking.... homebrew/preware......patches..........webos in general..... dashboard notifications like weather.... 800mhz man it really makes a difference... one handed use in combination with using a keyboard... touchstone.... I mean......
    Why do I even bother to post here? Because I really really want to like Pre, I really do. As soon as my contract over with AT&T, I gave up on my Iphone and came to Verizon just for Pre Plus. After having all these problem that I have, I am mad. i am mad at Palm for not being able to polish up their WebOS. I am mad at Precentral for not being honest about the Pre quality. And I am mad at myself for not being able to read all the problem but I kind of give a benefit of doubt. I thought those people who has problem were overreacting.

I pretty much made up my mind. I asked several times that what Pre is so great and better than any other phone, I am getting same answer.

homebrew/preware......patches - android has bigger homebrew community. Iphone doesn't need any but they do have jailbreak community

webos in general..... - Only thing great about webos is that it's not Iphone but it gets old really fast.

dashboard notifications like weather.... - Android does it better with widget

800mhz man it really makes a difference... - Android does have overclock

one handed use in combination with using a keyboard... - maybe my hand is just too big to handle this tiny phone with one hand typing operation, so it's my problem.

touchstone.... - Honestly, is this the reason? charging is charging. Perhaps if they design the usb connector better on Pre, it maybe not even need this.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    in few posts u are going to be labeled as a troll.
    I was actually going to ask u the same quesiton u just asked your self : Why do u post here?
    it seems like u hate webos/pre so what are the points of ur posts? just return it, get android and live happily ever after. THE END
    You're just feeding a troll people!
    With that usage, my BlackBerry would be at 80-90%... makes me worried/scared about considering a Pre Plus on either AT&T or Verizon. I'm surprised that it's so bad really since my friend says his Pre gets better battery life than his Nexus, which I thought had pretty bad battery life to begin with. Been researching the Mugen and Seidio extended batteries though that I had with my Treo.
    wow, i was so damn blind... TROLL!!!! SOMEONE GET THE SPRAY!
    I am really sorry to say something bad about Pre. I totally understand you are upset about my post. Anyway, 9 days left on my Pre and I am pretty much sure now that I am going to return it. Sorry to waste your time.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Why do I even bother to post here? Because I really really want to like Pre, I really do. As soon as my contract over with AT&T, I gave up on my Iphone and came to Verizon just for Pre Plus. After having all these problem that I have, I am mad. i am mad at Palm for not being able to polish up their WebOS. I am mad at Precentral for not being honest about the Pre quality. And I am mad at myself for not being able to read all the problem but I kind of give a benefit of doubt. I thought those people who has problem were overreacting.

I pretty much made up my mind. I asked several times that what Pre is so great and better than any other phone, I am getting same answer.

homebrew/preware......patches - android has bigger homebrew community. Iphone doesn't need any but they do have jailbreak community

webos in general..... - Only thing great about webos is that it's not Iphone but it gets old really fast.

dashboard notifications like weather.... - Android does it better with widget

800mhz man it really makes a difference... - Android does have overclock

one handed use in combination with using a keyboard... - maybe my hand is just too big to handle this tiny phone with one hand typing operation, so it's my problem.

touchstone.... - Honestly, is this the reason? charging is charging. Perhaps if they design the usb connector better on Pre, it maybe not even need this.
    Please go exchange your phone. If you were simply expressing an opinion, or asking for help I would say otherwise, but clearly at this point your goal is simply to beotch, so PLEASE just go exchange your phone. I truly hope your next phone makes you happy. the Iphone didn't, now the pre didn't, sure hope android rocks your boat because you are running out of options. Perhaps after your blackberry ticks you off you will notice a trend...it's not the phone...look in the mirror. FIND A PHONE THAT MEETS YOUR NEEDS.
    or perhaps you just need to beotch, in which case the Pre completes you.
    I am really sorry to say something bad about Pre. I totally understand you are upset about my post. Anyway, 9 days left on my Pre and I am pretty much sure now that I am going to return it. Sorry to waste your time.
    Nothing wrong with saying something bad about the Pre; there's plenty wrong with it. Problem is, you seem to have known those things before you bought it, and now want us to make you feel good about a dumb decision. We can't do that for you. As somebody else already said, if you can't find anything good about it (which most of us have despite the flaws), you need to do exactly what you've now decided: return it.
    Savager, listen, it's okay to complain about the Pre on Precentral. There is even a whole section of the forum dedicated to complaining about the Pre. Outside of that section, a healthy debate is welcome. But if you really don't like the phone, it's okay. It's just a phone. Take a deep breath.

With other phones there are other forums with other complaints. It's okay.

You're not wasting anyone's time. Enjoy whatever phone you get.

I hope the original poster feels like they have an answer to their question.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    get out. I've never saif this to anyone here before.

I realize that you have had problems. I also realize that most of your problems are not unique and honestly I think you should never evaaaarrr buy a first generation anything at all.

we will hang out here with full understanding that we are investing in a new platform on the ground floor. And doing so comes with it's lumps. Talk to us in a year and we'll continue.

I am sorry for your issues w the phone. If you want apps only available on the iphone and you don't want to look for an alternative, talk to the app author about porting or even offer money for an open source alternative then I'd stick w an iphone. If you are a huge google fan no brainer then. If you need a long battery life and good email use a BB. Don't use a BB for apps, video, multimedia, multitasking. For that matter don't use the iphony multitaxing either. Don't use the iphone for robust email yet (4.0 isn't out yet). Don't use the iphone for bar photos cause it doesn't have a flash, don't expect flah on the iphone either. Don't use android for a rich email experience if you are outside of gmail. Do use droid for multitasking but don't use it to juggle open apps. Do use droid for photos a nd video. The droids have very nice cameras! Don't expect your phone to receive updates if you are on android. Don't get android if you don't want google to have all sorts of info on your contacts.

I think I'd go droid if I were you but I will stay here because I am getting consistent updates. I can check my email, listen to the web radio, and send text messages with ease. I know that when I upgrade to the next phone all my contacts and apps and tasks and mail and calendars etc will be transferred to the new phone instamatically! I know that if I lose this phone the same is true of a replacement. I know that if I have a question about my phone I can ask it here. I know the next device will have a bigger screen and a better keyboard and it will be faster (ok ok I don't know this but it is a very safe assumption). I know that my email from imap, yahoo, gmail,and my other gmail are all instantly on my phone as soon as they are sent to me just like a blackberry. I know I can use I.m. And now facebook (yes through homebrew) to chat it up with folks. I like my facebook update notifications. I like youview visual voicemail, I like supporting small companies with my business. I like posting to my blog using Poster. I like how my phone can be on silent mode and yet make the faintest alert sound when ringing docked upon the touchstone. I like streaming pandora or slacker through my bluetooth car stereo I bought for 140 bucks. I like that my sprint nav also goes through bt even at the same time. I like how the volume levels of the respective programs fade in and out. I like getting up from my desk and grabbing my phone from the ts on the run. I like doing the same in my car (i know this isn't really authorized). I like taking videos and uploading them to youtube while taking another video or whatever. I like taking photos w the spacebar. I like that I just flipped my card to look at which apps I want to keep writing about in this post and voila with a tap I am back to writing. I like and really really adore that I don't have to give my info to google if I don't want to. Don't need google maps calendar chat email or web search if I don't want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by *****hay View Post
    With that usage, my BlackBerry would be at 80-90%... makes me worried/scared about considering a Pre Plus on either AT&T or Verizon. I'm surprised that it's so bad really since my friend says his Pre gets better battery life than his Nexus, which I thought had pretty bad battery life to begin with. Been researching the Mugen and Seidio extended batteries though that I had with my Treo.
    Blackberry is the king of battery life, hands down. Before I bought my Pre I was thinking about an iPhone, but in the industry I work in, EVERYONE has an iPhone and they are ALWAYS battling for an outlet to charge the damn thing. I decided to go with the Pre over the iPHone literally because one of my co workers was trying to convince me that the iPhone is better and to charge it he only has to drag around a special charging unit the size of a brick that has a full iPhone charge.

So when he runs out, he plugs the iPhone into this brick and in twenty minutes he's at full charge. I did my research, and with the Pre you can swap out the battery, and after a boot, it's at full. And the battery is the size of a small pack of gum. That was it for me. Sure the iPHone has better battery life than the Pre, but if you're using it as much as we do in my job, the iPhone still barely makes it through a day. So personally, if I know I'm gonna run out of juice before the end of the day, I'd rather have a battery that I could swap out.

But yes, I do miss the battery life of my Treo 700p. The new generation of smartphone just sucks for battery life. But hey, if I really wanted to use my 700p, I could be, and I'm not.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Got my Pre launchday...
    I like the Pre and all, but I need to get out as well.

- 2 full minutes to start phone..
    - Spontaneous battery drains (this is worst, cause it'll go to like 20%-30%/hour)
    - Sometimes screen doesn't turn on for like a minute or two
    - Crashes are bad, but don't happen to me much.

Other hardware issues, well you know...
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    ....my post was getting too long...I like the weatherman app cause I don't even have to unloack my phone to see the expected weather. I lovewobble words, translator, and habla.i like the new yorl times and la times apps. I like tthe public radio app too. I like being able to read my screen clearly in the sunlight. I like my games. I like my disney tv on sprint tv. . I likebeing able to email or text people webpages I think they should read.

I don't like the battery life.
    I like being honest :P
    I do like the tasks app on my main bar .
    I think this phone does a pretty good job of reproducing the features of bb (mail) and iphone (games) while bettering android on the multitasking and homebrew fronts yet lagging in the programs for now.
    my only big gripe is battery life but I did get a first gen device and I am happily awaiting updates and new apps and your response...oops. Got a go...just got a text. It came up on my screen and I saw the first line and the facebok photo of the sender but I wanted to finish this before replying, so I tapped my browser page and it unobtrusively waits in the bottom right hand of my screen.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast