Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I used to have the same problem with the PDF viewer...however, I installed the "PDF Redux" patch (by akamil) from preware and now every PDF opens and renders just fine.
    I don't know if something in the patch fixed the issue, but it definitely worked well for me. I think its worth a shot to try.
    Hope it helps.
    I have this problem about half the time; it doesn't seem to depend on the file itself, since often the one that fails will work a little later. I've tried the PDF Redux patch, but I actually seemed to get worse results.
    Anyone else also get the problem of not scrolling in the PDF file list screen? I often am unable to scroll down, instead it over and over just opens the file my finger starts the scroll with.
    The PDF app is overall a great pain... I'm really hoping that with 2.0 it improves, as I'd love to be able to use my Pre as a dependable reader.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    I have this problem about half the time; it doesn't seem to depend on the file itself, since often the one that fails will work a little later. I've tried the PDF Redux patch, but I actually seemed to get worse results.
    Anyone else also get the problem of not scrolling in the PDF file list screen? I often am unable to scroll down, instead it over and over just opens the file my finger starts the scroll with.
    The PDF app is overall a great pain... I'm really hoping that with 2.0 it improves, as I'd love to be able to use my Pre as a dependable reader.

Have the same problem. Hopefully a fix is on the way.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    For the scrolling issue, try pressing and holding your finger on the screen for a second or two and then swipe. If I remember correctly, if you hold your finger on a pdf for a second it will highlight like it's been selected, and then you can up swipe without actually selecting that document. I'd test it to verify but I deleted most of my pdfs because they kept getting the render error...
    i have the redux patch installed, and I cannot open pdf's attached to emails.
    Truly sucks.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    overclocking seems to help. When set to "Palm Default" 500 MHz I could not open a specific pdf but when I set the profile to screenstate 500/800 (so 800 MHz unless on touchstone) the pdf opened. I still have the other nagging issue of not being able to scroll through my list of pdfs easily.
    I got the same problem with rendering of the German Pre Plus manual.
    The first page was okay, but it crashed with the second.

Is there still no bug fix or patch available? This problem is already severale months old !

Furthermore, it was not possible to use the find function since the search bar was behind the top bar. I know that preware provides a patch but is there still no official bug fix?
    Last word is they are working on it, but it won't be fixed "tomorrow".

Palm's response to document handling bugs does not have me looking forward to a PalmPad. I'm <insert other word for not happy>, but I'll live with it on a phone. But on a tablet it better be able to read documents flawlessly. I hope they can fix in six months what they haven't been able to fix in a year and a half.
    I did not think of this aspect, yet, but you are competely right. May be problems like this are the reason that the Pad is still not available. However...
    I have a suggestion on a way that maybe us Pre enthusiast can use as a work around. Maybe some of our brilliant homebrew people can help us with this.

What about a user created email address that each user can email his/her PDF file to and it converts it to a JPG and emails it back. I have never heard anyone saying they cant look at JPGs. If maybe server-side, the PDF was exported as a JPG, maybe at 150 dpi, and then emailed back.

I know that I would pay for this software.

There are some example...There are some websites that will do this for you but they want you to click their Browse button which the Pre cannot handle
    like zamzar.com

Any thoughts or insight into this idea?

-Playdope9
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    There is already an app that will convert from pdf to word. I haven't used it but I would think that would work. Why not just fix the pdf viewer though?
    I don't know if you noticed, but webOS has issues with zooming in on JPGs and rescanning the image. I've converted PDFs to JPGs and when you zoom in on the JPG it's blurry regardless of the DPI or resolution.

I haven't tried this in a while, well since 1.5.4 hit.
    i apologize for my ignorance; I am new to this....

Can someone please walk me through Google Docs? I don't know how to get my documents there to try viewing them.

Also, I have no idea what PDF Redux is, or how it works.
    Last edited by whitneymoon; 02/13/2011 at 12:41 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123